PDA

View Full Version : Crack in MK9 Slide

jvberryjr
01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
I purchased a Kahr MK9 Elite 2003 via special order through a Gun Store a few years back. I shoot the gun occasionally, but I doubt I have much more than 500 rounds through it. After my last trip to the range where I went through about 100 rounds, I took it home, cleaned it and found a crack in the slide. The crack is located in the front of the slide between the hole for the barrel and the hole for the recoil guide. I sure hope this is under warrantee. Didn't Kahr have a lifetime warranty and then changed it?

Geronimo509
01-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Take pics, put them here and possibly send them to kahr. First you should call kahr and tell them and I'm pretty sure they will take care of you.

mitch1
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
I hit the "daily double." Had the same crack in the slide, sent it back & received new slide. Then, couple of months later, a crack in frame on bottom where mag is inserted. Again, sent it back & it was replaced. Big pain though. Had to get new serial #, mailed back to FFL & had to re-register as if new firearm new with the local licensing authority. To answer your question, if you are the original owner, Kahr will replace no questions asked.

TxKahr
01-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Please post pictures before sending it in for warranty, so we can see what happened.

Thanks,

TxKahr

Vinikahr
01-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Recently, Kahr changed(about 2007 or 2008) their lifetime warranty to 5 years to the original owner, really do not like that because this little guns are very expensive and anything can happen(reason why I have several guns), many more economical gun makers offer lifetime warranty to any owner, if they can why Kahr can't or decided to discontinue?:32:( I guess is all about economic reasons and profits),out of the 3 Kahrs I have, the only one that has a lifetime warranty is the CW9 because I bought trough Davison's:). Your firearm should be cover by the life warranty, nothing against metal pistols( I own a few), but the polymer ones, the frame are stronger and lighter. :86:

jvberryjr
01-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Well, they want me to send it in. The shipping is going to be around $50. If its under warranty, do they reimburse the shipping?

jvberryjr
01-25-2010, 10:11 AM
267Here are pics of crack

Vinikahr
01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeap Kahr should pick it up under warranty. :4:

Vinikahr
01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Ok a way to identifying if your firearms have unlimited or limited warranty: Unless there is a "U" engraved on the trigger guard, your gun is new and carries a full 5 year warranty.:80:

jvberryjr
01-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Well... I called the gun store where I purchased it and they had to dig up from their records that the purchase date was 7-7-05, so I am good to go right?

BTW there is no "U" on the trigger guard. Looks like I have till July to get it fixed. From what I have seen I am not the only one to have this problem. It must be a design flaw. I hope they have remedied the flaw on the new guns. Otherwise what if the new one cracks after 7-7-10?

jvberryjr
01-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Kahr said they would not reimburse for shipping handgun to them even though its under warranty. I talked to the gun store I purchases the MK9 from and they said, "we'll ship it to Kahr, they'll make it right."

One of the benefits of patronizing a good gun store!

In case you live in northwest Ohio, the store is:

Clelands Outdoor World in Swanton.

Vinikahr
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Kahr said they would not reimburse for shipping handgun to them even though its under warranty. I talked to the gun store I purchases the MK9 from and they said, "we'll ship it to Kahr, they'll make it right."

One of the benefits of patronizing a good gun store!

In case you live in northwest Ohio, the store is:

Clelands Outdoor World in Swanton.

Interesting, Kahr paid for my CW45 both way twice from their pocket not mine.:eek: :7: And yes they made it right.

jggonzalez
01-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Any Kahr employees on the forum who can tell if this is a design flaw or a bad heat treat? The same thing happened to my MK9 too about three years ago.

:confused:

dirksterg30
01-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Any Kahr employees on the forum who can tell if this is a design flaw or a bad heat treat? The same thing happened to my MK9 too about three years ago.

:confused:

I'm not a Kahr employee, but I would think it is a bad heat treating on a batch of slides; I've got over 2,000 rounds through my MK9, and no sign of any cracks on the slide or frame.

gj47
02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
I had this happen twice on my MK9 elite. The first time was well after a 1000 rounds and the second time was just under. Both times Kahr replaced the slide without a problem and even threw in a extra mag. I believe when the last slide came back it had a different cut to it and the barrel seemed a little more loose in the slide. 2,000 rounds since without problem. I wouldn't mind to see photos of the interior cuts of older and newer slides.

jvberryjr
02-17-2010, 03:20 AM
I must give credit when credit is due. I got my MK9 back exactly when Kahr said I would get it. They put on a new slide assembly (complete with barrel) and it looks great! The fit and finish are better than the original. If it shoots as well as it looks, I will be a happy camper. From my perspective, Kahr's customer service came through great! My only issue, is that they would not pay shipping to send the gun to them.:D

jocko
02-17-2010, 05:09 AM
I must give credit when credit is due. I got my MK9 back exactly when Kahr said I would get it. They put on a new slide assembly (complete with barrel) and it looks great! The fit and finish are better than the original. If it shoots as well as it looks, I will be a happy camper. From my perspective, Kahr's customer service came through great! My only issue, is that they would not pay shipping to send the gun to them.:D

paid to pick up your defective gun and they will do that but one must insist upon it. A shame, for I know I cold have given you the right persons name to talk to who would have done that. anyway they fixed it and you are happy.

what you colddo is now send kahr a nice letter and tellthem theank you and submit your paid shipping reciept to them and ask that they reimbuurse you for this warranty service. Maybe a new spare magazine would make you happy even and a spare set of recoio springs. They will work something with you.

PM sent to

In-Yo-Grill
02-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Yep I saw your post on another site. I'd follow jocko's advice. He gave me the name of the guy to speak with and I have yet to pay for shipping when dealing with Kahr.

fngrobert
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Is this a common problem with the MK9s?

jocko
02-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Is this a common problem with the MK9s?

on really any of the MK's series but it seems to have popoed up more on MK40 series than MK9 . Again both are rare instances but when it happens we seem to read about it on every gun forum, so to some it is pandemic,.

Karh will replace the defective gun, no doubt. It happens, not supposed to but it does.. I have never seent his on an K series or T series, so to me it must be that they have gotten some bad stainless or the heat treating process was not done right...It has only been in the MK series..

jkalantzis
02-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I was told from my local dealer that my new PM9 came with a lifetime warranty. I just purchased her about a month ago. Was I told something that is not true?:mad:

jocko
02-18-2010, 10:50 AM
I was told from my local dealer that my new PM9 came with a lifetime warranty. I just purchased her about a month ago. Was I told something that is not true?:mad:

ur sure were, 5 years is ur warranty..

In-Yo-Grill
02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
ur sure were, 5 years is ur warranty..

Yep...It's listed on Kahr's website as 5yr warranty.

fngrobert
02-19-2010, 04:32 AM
When I had to sell my CW9 a few months ago I promised myself I'd replace it with something better. The first time I held an MK9 I fell in love with it and knew that it was what I wanted for a replacement (No, I take that back, the MK is not a replacement for the CW, the CW was merely the precursor for the MK). I started scouring the internet for problems looking for anything negative so I could justify NOT getting it. After a few months of finding nothing I decided to go for it. Now, on the eve of finally getting one here comes the slide crack! Oh well, poo on it! I'm getting it anyway. I'm just glad it's not common. Got worried there for a minute or two.

jocko
02-19-2010, 09:00 AM
probably thousands of MK's out there and one can probably count on two hands the number that has had defective frames, and most of those were the MK40 and not the MK9. Kahr will take care of any cracked frame, even if it is out of warranty. It seems to have cracked int he mag well opening on the back side and all in about the same area. to me a good indication of poor metal, as there certainly is not stress where those cracks are showing up. stop worrying about what might not ever happen to your gun.
Just shoot it like you stole it. The MK9 is certainly one great all steel semi. Probalby the best on the market IMO...

fngrobert
02-20-2010, 04:17 AM
Oh, I'm not really worried, I was just... concerned for a short time. The quality of the "low end" CW engendered alot of trust in the company for me. I believe Kahr products to be Top Shelf. That's why I was so surprised to read about this problem. I guess we can chock this pandemic up to the same level with all those exploding Glocks out there. I appreciate all of your comments!

jocko
02-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Oh, I'm not really worried, I was just... concerned for a short time. The quality of the "low end" CW engendered alot of trust in the company for me. I believe Kahr products to be Top Shelf. That's why I was so surprised to read about this problem. I guess we can chock this pandemic up to the same level with all those exploding Glocks out there. I appreciate all of your comments!

sh-t happens, just ask TOYOTA..:7:

jggonzalez
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Same thing happened on mine too. I was told it was a bad heat treat. I had to buy a new slide because I wasn't the original owner, but it was under $200 installed.

Vinikahr
03-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Same thing happened on mine too. I was told it was a bad heat treat. I had to buy a new slide because I wasn't the original owner, but it was under $200 installed.

Did they ask you or you told them?

jocko
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM

IMO kahr shouldhave replaced that slide, original owner or not. That was an in house defect, age has nothing to do with it. nor does owner ship. I wouldhave aske dot speak to someone higher up. for I know they have replaced slides before that were not the original owners. But saying that I don't know if they ask the person that question either. They stillshould have stood behind it.. PERIOD.:(

Vinikahr
03-06-2010, 05:22 AM
IMO kahr shouldhave replaced that slide, original owner or not. That was an in house defect, age has nothing to do with it. nor does owner ship. I wouldhave aske dot speak to someone higher up. for I know they have replaced slides before that were not the original owners. But saying that I don't know if they ask the person that question either. They stillshould have stood behind it.. PERIOD.:(

I agree, but signs of the times, economy is in the pit!

Atilla
03-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I just got the history on my MK9 from the original owner, verified by Ian at Kahr--mine also had the exact same crack in the slide. They did replace the slide and transferred the Trijcon sights over at that time. I am new to Kahr's and I seriously am getting a bit of buyer's remorse learning of the incredible number of problems with them. Never read about these problems on the Sig, Glock, or S&W forums. Considering how many millions of firearms those companies make compared to the small amount Kahr does, the number of problems is a real issue. Taurus, Kel-tec and most other manufacturers stand behind their products. I was hoping my MK9 would become my EDC, but before that happens I will be putting several hundred rounds through it. Hope it lasts. Sheesh.

Vinikahr
03-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I just got the history on my MK9 from the original owner, verified by Ian at Kahr--mine also had the exact same crack in the slide. They did replace the slide and transferred the Trijcon sights over at that time. I am new to Kahr's and I seriously am getting a bit of buyer's remorse learning of the incredible number of problems with them. Never read about these problems on the Sig, Glock, or S&W forums. Considering how many millions of firearms those companies make compared to the small amount Kahr does, the number of problems is a real issue. Taurus, Kel-tec and most other manufacturers stand behind their products. I was hoping my MK9 would become my EDC, but before that happens I will be putting several hundred rounds through it. Hope it lasts. Sheesh.

In the business world about 2% to 5%(returned, damage or spoiled) are some bad products that were miss or felt in the cracks, and that is the first thing you will always hear first. Is kind when you are learning a new language where you learn the bad words first. It would be beneficial to have statistics from Kahrs in reference their products.

zeitgeist
03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
My Mk40 had a crack in the frame too. I had to return it to Kahr for a new one... and it needed to be sent to an FFL since it was a new frame.

PETE14
03-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I would bet that if Glock made their guns as small as Kahr's that they would start having problems with theirs too. The 9mm and .40cal is a pretty big bullet to be shooting in such a small package. Most other manufacturers with the same size gun are shooting the .380.

jocko
03-29-2010, 11:23 AM
I think what has happened to the cracked slides and frames was in the MK series. which tells me they got some bad heat process. Also it seems to be in guns 2 to 3 years of age and not in the later years. I have not see this on a k series kahr or T series kahrs and it seems also to be more prevelant in the MK40 kahrs. all the cracks have showe dup in about two exact areas, which tends to show some heat process failing..

Please do not sh-t yourself, Glocks give issues, so do sigs. none are immune, some worse, some not so worse. Not alibing for kahr here either. They IMO should stand behind a cracked frame or slide if the gun is even out of warranty, and most of the time IF YOU GET THE RIGHT PERSON, they will do so.

Kinda hard for Glock to get around the fact that they sold the Indiana state police 1200 G22 about 4 years ago and had so many issues, they had to take THEM ALL BACK and reissues G17 which they carry and love to this day. Would that make you G22 shy, not for me it wouldn't if tha tis what I want, for I feel Glock would stand behind the gun if it was not right.. If one feels lack of confidkence in a kahr, the best advice I could give it to get another brand and move. on. Certainly coming on this forum and espressing doubts willnot make it better and what ever I say or anyone else tells you is not going to change your mind either. Kahrs aren not for everyone, as we all know some hate glocks to.

I personally feel from owning many brands of semis's and selling guns for a living for over 40 years, that Kahr ranks right up there with some of the finest semi's out there. If you get a lemon, naturally the taste is not good...

jocko
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM

me like your gripeing about something that has not given you one ounce of trouble or actual money out of your pocket . They replaced the defective slide and I have not read of them replacing defective sides with another defective slide:popcorn:
You ought to put a couple hundred rounds out of ANY GUN befroe calling it a EDC. Just makes good sense.

give the gun a chance to please you instead of looking at every thing with it now with an evil eye.

Go to the tech section and hit on the PROPER PREPPING OF YOURNEW KAHR. there are some tips in there that will help build your confidence and things to do to get that gun propery prepped..

hilltop1a
07-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi Jocko,
I'm new to this forum, but not to owning and shooting handguns. I have been following this thread, and others pertaining to reliability of the Kahr PM9 and MK9. I thought I had decided to buy the MK9, but after reading discussions on repairs related to Kahr's warrantee policy, I'm wondering why resale values on used Kahr pistols are as high as I've seen. I think Kahr has a wonderful design, but buying a used one could turn out to be very expensive. Even a five-year warrantee on a new purchase is very hard to justify on a gun that is by no means cheap. I understand that the failure rate is very low, and I may still purchase an MK9. But you have to wonder why you have to speak to the RIGHT person to have a cracked frame or slide fixed.

Thank you,
hilltop1a

jggonzalez
09-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Did they ask you or you told them?

I told them I bought it used. I don't remember how much it cost, but I remember is was under $200 for everything, including labor. I still have the gun and don't plan to ever get rid of it. Other guns have been sold off, but that one is a keeper.

scotty_MK9
12-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Dang that sucks.. Hope that doesnt happen to mine!!

DasFriek
12-20-2010, 05:57 AM
This is a few months old and not something widespread as ive not read anything besides this thread about cracked Kahr slides when i was researching my purchase of an MK9.

I only read a few posts of it just to get the jist, But Kahr should have replaced the guys slide imo. Possibly even a new gun as ive seen other makers do that.
I know if my relatively expensive little 9mm was to crack like that id be mad more than worried. As im rather sure a good smith could weld it up and look good as new and stronger.

beemergofast
12-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Thought I'd chime in here since I just got my MK9 back from Kahr, it had the cracked slide. (long time follower of this forum, 1st-time poster)

My MK9 is a GCXXXX serial number that I have had for 5-6 years (my CCW that has about 400 rounds through it). Never had any problems with it. A couple of weeks ago after a practice round I was cleaning the gun and noticed the infamous crack in the nose of the slide (between the barrell and bushing).

Let me get this out now...KAHR CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS GREAT!! I called Kahr on a Monday and told them of my newly found crack in the slide. Jay - Customer Service told me to not use the gun anymore and he would send me a prepaid Fedex shipper (with RMA) to ship the gun back to Kahr. The next day I had the shipper and sent the gun to Kahr.

In 9-days (total days over the weekend door-to-door) I had my gun back. They replaced the slide assembly, barrell and my night sights. (My MK had the old-style dovetail for sights, so they replaced it with the newer-style slide which required newer night sights as well, and they put new sights on the gun.)

I havn't had a chance to go to the range yet, but I have 100% confidence in their work. When they were replacing the night sights I had the Kahr armorer call to verify what kind of sights I wanted on the new-style slide (I was surprised they were going to do this). In talking with him I asked him about how they "check-out" the new slide to frame and he said "I just got done firing your gun and it is working flawlessly".

I couldn't be more pleased with Kahr Customer Service or Support. :biggrin1::biggrin1: