PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday and Ammo...

harvs12
12-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Please be gentle but I see a lot of talk here in ammo threads about how much individuals keep on hand etc. for target and or just in general in case the day ever comes....

So this leads to my first question......people that are stockpiling ammo are you/they stockpiling FMJ or JHP? I'm assuming it's FMJ just because of the cost of so many rounds of ammo.

Then there is talk about JHP vs. JHP and which brand is better for carry because of expansion and whatnot. And I understand this talk in regards to one on one carry circumstances in the general public.

This leads me to my second question....in all reality if you are stockpiling does it really matter if it's FMJ or JHP when you're doing it for quantity vs. quality?

Now hear me out...........if you answered you're stockpiling FMJ for home defense and NOT just target then why does it matter FMJ vs. JHP for CC? I understand the difference and what the damage is round for round, but to be honest would you want to be hit with a FMJ anyway let alone 5 or 6?

What I'm trying to say here is if you have the capacity to unload multiple rounds what does it really matter?

I hope I made my point clear enough as so it doesn't sound like a stupid question;)

Bawanna
12-21-2011, 11:09 PM
In an ideal scenario I'd like loaded magazines stacked from here to the horizon with JHP ammo. Money of course makes this totally unfeasible. For normal everyday carry I can afford enough good stuff to keep on hand and shoot from time to time. For stopping power and over penetration its the best. For stock piles for range or the dreaded doomsday I have to stick with FMJ and mostly reloads at that. I used to use plated full coated plated hollow points to serve bot purposes but as you mentioned FMJ is gonna ruin your day and its worked for the military for a long time.

ZenthaneX
12-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Well, in my experience most people have three different ammo's. The have their crap fmj target rounds, they have their everyday carry good jhp's and lastly they have their shtf stockpile of jhp's that are usually WWB or the Remington equivalent. Yeah I imagine that some people just keep fmj's as their stash but why when you can get first gen hollow-points at a fairly cheap price?

yqtszhj
12-22-2011, 04:22 AM
In an ideal scenario I'd like loaded magazines stacked from here to the horizon with JHP ammo. Money of course makes this totally unfeasible. For normal everyday carry I can afford enough good stuff to keep on hand and shoot from time to time. For stopping power and over penetration its the best. For stock piles for range or the dreaded doomsday I have to stick with FMJ and mostly reloads at that. I used to use plated full coated plated hollow points to serve bot purposes but as you mentioned FMJ is gonna ruin your day and its worked for the military for a long time.

Exactly. Buy some good stuff is nice and also stockpile what you can afford.

Indigo
12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
If you really want a big discussion on this google "how much ammo should I stockpile" and in the top 2-3 hits you will get forum posts on The High Road.com from some survivalist guys. Anytime I start feeling like I have invested too much in ammo/supplies I read them and they make me feel better cause I'm nowhere near close to some of the guys there who buy things by the truckload.

muggsy
12-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I've tried to stockpile for years, but I shoot so often that I do a lot more replenishing than stockpiling. I have 200 rounds for each of my four high power rifles and about 500 rounds for each of my CF pistols. FMJ work well up north in winter for better penetration. JHPs in the summer for serious social work.

O'Dell
12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I have to stock four different calibers. I have about 350 380 rounds for the LCP because I don't shoot it much. I have about 1200 rounds for the PM9, half and half FMJ and JHP. For the three 40's, I have 1750 rounds again about half and half. Since I have nine 45 pistols and a carbine, I stock more ammo in that caliber. Right now it's 2500 rounds slightly bias to JHP, but I haven't bought any lately and need another 500 rounds.

CJB
12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Shtf ammo.... Fmj for compatability. Every gun I have will feed it.
45, 9mm, 223, 308, 12g#6....few boxes of 38sp.
Quantity varies but 45, 223 & 12 about 2k each.

rholmes69
12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Mostly FMJ for my SHTF ammo. Minimum of 1000 rds each caliber, but I have reduced my calibers severly to make this feasible. Only one I don't is my 30.06 deer rifle and my wife's .38spl/.357 mag. She is comfy with my alternate 9mm's, so we have enough for us. I have a min 20k rds of .22 though...

ltxi
12-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Mostly FMJ for my SHTF ammo. Minimum of 1000 rds each caliber, but I have reduced my calibers severly to make this feasible. Only one I don't is my 30.06 deer rifle and my wife's .38spl/.357 mag. She is comfy with my alternate 9mm's, so we have enough for us. I have a min 20k rds of .22 though...

Excellent plan on .22. Affordably cheap by the ton and long term useful, long after the shorter term need for 7.62x39 or whatever runs out.

Indigo
12-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Excellent plan on .22. Affordably cheap by the ton and long term useful, long after the shorter term need for 7.62x39 or whatever runs out.

I keep 10,000 9mm fmj rounds around for that very same reason. Pretty cheap compared to other stuff and pretty useful when considering the ample choices of guns to shoot it with.

Thunder71
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Well I lost.

200 9mm
100 .38 Special
500 .22LR
12 12 Gauge
20 20 Gauge

1000 BB's lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Indigo
12-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Well I lost.

200 9mm
100 .38 Special
500 .22LR
12 12 Gauge
20 20 Gauge

1000 BB's lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

You'll shoot your eye out

CJB
12-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Crap.... I forgot .22's.... now I have a new passion to hoard... jeeze

MO_Soldier
12-22-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a mere 14 rounds of 9mm right now. That's it!
I've been unemployed since June and don't have the money to buy ammo.
My 14 rounds are what's in my magazine: 10 Hornady CDefense, and 4 Remington GS...:-\

Bawanna
12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
My 14 rounds are what's in my magazine: 10 Hornady CDefense, and 4 Remington GS...:-\

I best send you a couple boxes, sounds like your in a critical low state.
I must have some around here someplace.
I too have been enlightened by this thread and intend to stock up 22. I have quite a bit but a mountain of it would be good.

Makes me want to run the press some too. I kind of think since I have components I'm ok but might not be the case.

Indigo
12-22-2011, 08:51 PM

PM me an address if you choose and I'll send you a couple boxes. Support your troops all. Merry Xmas.

harvs12
12-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Thank you everyone for the posts and insight, glad this thread has helped:)

In regards to the .22 talk now I have been researching for some good .22 ammo as I need to stock up on that as well, and saw that Federal Classic was a great cheap round. I'm not sure where to find it or even which Federal Classic it was since in the test it wasn't specific. What are some other really good rounds of .22lr?

Chogers
12-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Well it looks as if I get money in my Christmas stocking I will need to use it to fill my safes with AMMO! I have a ton on 38 special for my .357 but no .357 rounds. I need to invest in some of these and alot more 9mm, 40 cal, 12 and 20 guage buckshot. GEEZ! Come on Santa!

O'Dell
12-22-2011, 11:28 PM
I'll have to add a little to my inventory. I took my son out to dinner tonight and he was on his way home from the police range where he was training a couple of rookie cops. He looked in his range bag and said he had four boxes of 40 cal practice ammo left, and said I could have it if I could use it. I took it but I do have a concern. The boxes had been sitting in the bag all day with a Glock 21 and 22. You don't think it's contaminated do you? ;)

Indigo
12-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I'll have to add a little to my inventory. I took my son out to dinner tonight and he was on his way home from the police range where he was training a couple of rookie cops. He looked in his range bag and said he had four boxes of 40 cal practice ammo left, and said I could have it if I could use it. I took it but I do have a concern. The boxes had been sitting in the bag all day with a Glock 21 and 22. You don't think it's contaminated do you? ;)

Very much so but the CDC has advised a weeks worth of Gloxicilin will cure the Plasticitis up nicely. I often marvel at the fact that those things don't shoot square bullets what with how blocky and utilitarian they are.

BrewerGeorge
12-23-2011, 08:52 PM
I've just started building my stockpile. I've got 500 rounds of S&B 9mm FMJ so far. I intend to purchase a box of WWB from Wally every two weeks until I get up to 1000 in my 3 pistol calibers. Then I think I'll start adding some JHP's.

rjt123
12-24-2011, 12:16 AM

What, with ammo "cooties"? :rolleyes:

yqtszhj
12-24-2011, 06:58 AM

I would just shoot it real quick so it doesn't contaminate any of your other stock.:D

les strat
12-24-2011, 06:28 PM
I keep mostly cases of 7.62 and 9mm. ALso keep a case of 12 ga bird shot on hand. Oh yeah, a couple bricks of .22.

My little 5 year old son gave me a box of .38 special to open on Christmas Eve tonight. He just thinks it's so cool that a gun caliber is named after a rock band! ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/1324156670035.jpg

MO_Soldier
12-24-2011, 07:37 PM
I best send you a couple boxes, sounds like your in a critical low state.
I must have some around here someplace.
I too have been enlightened by this thread and intend to stock up 22. I have quite a bit but a mountain of it would be good.

Makes me want to run the press some too. I kind of think since I have components I'm ok but might not be the case.

PM me an address if you choose and I'll send you a couple boxes. Support your troops all. Merry Xmas.

You guys are TOO KIND!
I'm proud to be a member on this forum :)

OldLincoln
12-24-2011, 08:34 PM
For the how much question, I think "How much can you carry in addition to that 125lb bug out bag?" Also, depends on where you live or are escaping to. If in the city it's unlikely you'll need much food hunting ammo, but may need protection stuff.

If in remote WA, I'd say hunting over protection many times over, and hunting for small game unless you have a large group to feed. If you try to save it for a few days the bears or big cats will get it and maybe you also. I can carry a lot more .22 than .45 and would rather eat a squirrel downed with a .22 than a .45 also.

dirtengineer
12-25-2011, 05:43 PM
If in a survival situation, I would kill off the predators pretty quick. You can certainly eat black bears, don't know about cats.

I do try to keep a lot of components on hand. I probably should just get off my butt and put it all together. Certainly wouldn't do me any good if the SHTF and I had to get outta dodge - can't take my Hornady LNL with me. Guess I could take my Lee hand press...

Barth
12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
For years I thought 200 rounds of HP for my primary weapon was
standard BUG OUT fare.

After living though the LA riots.
And watching ammo and gun bans.
That doesn't seem like enough.
Plus Ive got more guns and unfortunately multiple calibers.
I like having at least 500 rounds of HP (preferably 1000).

Thinking about the possibilities has caused me to get additional barrels/mags for my Glock G27.
So in an ammo shortage I can run 9mm, 357 Sig or 40 S&W - what ever I can find.

My 38/357/44 wheel guns will likely run dry quickly.
I'm thinking 9mm/40 will rule the day.

Hopefully that will never happen.
But in a state of crisis the government freezes ammo and guns first.

tv_racin_fan
12-29-2011, 08:11 AM
The govt can freeze what they like. Heck they can even come and take all my firearms. It only takes a little time to piece together a flintlock or a long bow and the ammo aint hard to come by either.

Just the same I believe it to be prudent to have as near 1000 rounds of every caliber I own and four times that in 22lr. Just need a few more spam cans...

harvs12
12-29-2011, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=tv_racin_fan;119542]Heck they can even come and take all my firearms.[QUOTE]

Maybe yours but not mine.

tv_racin_fan
12-30-2011, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=tv_racin_fan;119542]Heck they can even come and take all my firearms.[QUOTE]

Maybe yours but not mine.

Meh I value my life and my family over any of my firearms. IF the govt comes to take them the only thing that is going to happen to me and possibly my family is they will kill me (us). I dunno about you but I KNOW that a Kahr K9 aint no match for an M1 Abrams or even an AR15.

What good am I to society in general and my family in particular if I am dead?