PDA

View Full Version : Can someone fix this please

Indigo
12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/a4e557aa.jpg

One year old MK9 never had a problem until now. Has sat for awhile but was flawless last time out a month ago. I've assembled/disassembled it about 50 times so I don't think I just all of a sudden put a spring in backwards. Any advice? This is supposed to be a 10 second video showing it only retracting the slide 1/8" and hanging up over and over but can't seem to get it to work

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/610f898d.mp4

superchief
12-22-2011, 09:49 PM
i think you put the slide retainer in front of the barrel lug. disassemble and try to put it together again

Indigo
12-22-2011, 09:55 PM
i think you put the slide retainer in front of the barrel lug. disassemble and try to put it together again

I can close the slide with pressure I just took the picture to show where it was hanging up to narrow down possibilities. When pulling back on slide it hangs up there unless an excessive amount of force is applied. I can still physically pull it back though but before I try to shoot it tomorrow I want to see if it can be diagnosed to make sure it doesn't blow up in my face

apheod
12-22-2011, 10:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8F9tus71QM

like this?

Indigo
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8F9tus71QM

like this?

I watched the first half of the video there thank you for the effort. When pulling back on the slide mine is hanging up at that same 1/8 to 1/4 inch mark yours was and if you yank back you can get by it but it takes a few tries but it will load a round from slide release fine unlike the one in your video. I noticed the hang up both front and back if I didn't let go of the slide with an empty gun then I could feel it catch going forward but it must not be as bad as yours if it doesn't hang up releasing slide. It just strikes me as odd because it has been flawless over 800 rounds and I've taken it apart multiple times trying to see what's up and everything seems in order there.

Bawanna
12-22-2011, 10:30 PM
You can still disassemble it at this point or is it locked up? Somethings definitely off inside. My first thought was you missed the barrel lug but you wouldn't be able to do what you are able to do.

Indigo
12-22-2011, 10:33 PM
You can still disassemble it at this point or is it locked up? Somethings definitely off inside. My first thought was you missed the barrel lug but you wouldn't be able to do what you are able to do.

Yep can still disassemble and do everything, chamber a round, release or pull back on the slide, etc. but when I pull back to that spot it hangs up until I force it back hard and then it works the rest of the way. I tried to post video that showed it hanging up about 20 times trying to pull it back and then it just randomly stuck open once which is when I took the photo but I just pushed it home after that

I just ordered all new recoil springs for all 7 Kahrs plus a handful of the cheaper replacement parts just to have on hand. For the MK9 I never paid that close of attention but if you are holding the recoil assembly you can actually feel the thinner side wiggle back and forth side to side a bit. Can that do it or is that normal? Like I said I never noticed it do that before but I also haven't tried to bend it previously. Hopefully that's it and the new recoil spring will fix it but if you have noticed this same phenomenon then the mystery persists....

Bawanna
12-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Well I'm sitting here fondling my K40 and I feel resistance right at that same point but no matter how gently I let the slide down it won't hang up. If it only does so when you gently let the slide down but works fine under normal full release I wouldn't be concerned.

My K40 when new did in fact hang up frequently at about that point. I ended up sending it back and they replaced the top end, slide and all. Said it was peening. I could smack the back of the slide and it would go into battery.

I would not think after this many rounds that this is your issue. I'd put a little dab of grease on the cocking cams and look for a shiny spot on the bottom of the slide and put grease there and see if it improves.

gwbiker
12-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Check the barrel chamber face for roughness where it enters the slide breech. Look for peening on outside of barrel which may be causing the hangup.

I had to smooth out that area with a flat stone on my new MK9 Elite.

Sorry no pictures.

Indigo
12-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Ok thanks ladies and gentlemen....I'll give her a nice oily rub down and play with all her special parts in the am....

Indigo
12-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Took MK9 to range. Here's what I found. Gun would cycle ammo and fire ok. When I would try to chamber a round using slingshot method that's when it hangs up at the 3/16" mark and I found that the slide stop pin was coming out when it hit that spot contributing to the problem. So despite the fact that it technically will load and fire from slide release it has never ever once been an issue using slingshot until now at about 1,000 rounds/one year. Replaced recoil assembly but I really want it to function how it did for rounds 1-999 meaning slingshot smooth and no slide stop pin working out. So any new suggestions?

CJB
12-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Do this -

Does this happen with no magazine in the pistol?

If so, disassemble the pistol, reassemble with the slide stop's pin through the frame, but with the slide stop lever twisted downward, so as to not have it contact anything at all (ie, six or seven oclock position). Its ok if the pin doesn't make it all the way thru the frame. Now hand cycle things.... is it the slide stop spring giving some very weird force on the lever... engaging the notch perhaps?

Indigo
12-26-2011, 08:24 AM
I tried it with no magazine last night it hangs up less frequently but still wasn't 100% free from it. I'm going to the range later today but I'm out at breakfast at the moment so it will be a couple hours until I can mess with it more. I've got 10 Kahr's and this is the only 9mm version that's ever had an issue was just the 45's before so I've read quite a few issues others have had here and tried a few things but I'm stumped here. Sending back always first seems to lead to a "feed ramp polish" and considering this has 999 flawless rounds I want to try to pinpoint the issue first so I don't waste a trip back to Kahr for just that.

Indigo
12-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Ok I took apart my K9 to compare. The cylinder connected to the slide stop release lever is stiff on the K9 whereas it is wobbly and flopping around on the MK9 anyone think this could be the issue?

TucsonMTB
12-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Ok I took apart my K9 to compare. The cylinder connected to the slide stop release lever is stiff on the K9 whereas it is wobbly and flopping around on the MK9 anyone think this could be the issue?
Bingo! The shaft can certainly spin freely (or not), but should not have any wobble. Probably worth a call to Kahr. Almost certainly they will send you a replacement when you describe the wear.

CJB
12-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I'd love to see a picture of that.. but yup, you found it.

Indigo
12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I'd love to see a picture of that.. but yup, you found it.

here's a 10 second clip to demonstrate. minor but just enough to interfere I think
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/th_f407df74.jpg (http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/?action=view&current=f407df74.mp4)

CJB
12-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh for sure too loose... THANKS!

Indigo
12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Spoke with Rich today at Kahr. Seemed like a nice and helpful gentleman. Got a new slide release lever,spring, and stainless guide rod coming so put one in the plus column for their customer service today. Hopefully I can get this fixed on my own and we don't have to deal with shipping it back to Massachusetts.