PDA

View Full Version : Wood Grips K40

Bkahrfull
12-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Does anyone have any opinions, pro or con on the Pau Ferro wooden grips? I'm thinking of getting them for my K40 to replace the current rubber ones.

P.S. Merry Christmas!

Bawanna
12-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Does anyone have any opinions, pro or con on the Pau Ferro wooden grips? I'm thinking of getting them for my K40 to replace the current rubber ones.

P.S. Merry Christmas!

The rubber grips feel great, especially the early ones that were real soft rubber. That being said I prefer wood any day of the week, it just looks so much nicer in all respects and you can make them fit or work for you.

Some say they are thicker than the rubber, I've never held a set of the factory ones but they do look a bit thicker. For people with large hands that might be a good thing. I'd be tempted to go smooth and then slim them down if they are too thick feeling.

My kids (youngest 17) are chomping at the bit to open presents. Have to wait for their sister to get here. The anxiousnous of youth. Ok, Ok, I tossed and turned all night too.

Merry Christmas

LonChaney
12-25-2011, 12:05 PM
I got a set of the wood grips for Christmas. They are definitely thicker. Have a slightly different shape to the backstrap area as well. I like em though. I wish the screws were a bit longer because I like to run a piece of skid tape on the front strap. Couldn't do that with the wood since they are thicker.

TucsonMTB
12-25-2011, 01:30 PM
I got a set of the wood grips for Christmas. They are definitely thicker. Have a slightly different shape to the backstrap area as well. I like em though. I wish the screws were a bit longer because I like to run a piece of skid tape on the front strap. Couldn't do that with the wood since they are thicker.
Someone (Bawanna, I believe) recommended using 1911 grip screws on a metal framed Kahr. Apparently, they have the same threads as the Kahr grip screws. In my experience 1911 grip screws are available in many lengths. Best of luck . . . :)

LonChaney
12-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Excellent. I'll give it a try.

Bawanna
12-25-2011, 02:57 PM
There also may be room to recess the screws a little deeper in the wood without interfering with the mag well.

Bkahrfull
12-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the responses, I'm gonna get'em and give it a go.

Bkahrfull
12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Just ordered the wood grips from Kahr, I'll let you know how they are when they arrive.

Kahrson
01-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Got in on this a bit late but I bought a set for my K9. 2 things. 1. I had to send the first set back due to the holes fin the grips didn't quite line up with the frame and I wasn't about to even risk crossthreading a screw.

2. They aren't very exciting as wood grips go. Nothing like alot of the nice rosewood or cocobolo or the stuff Esmeralda puts out for 1911's. One of the main reasons I don't buy a 1911 is I would go broke buying grips. ;)

Anyhow here is a pic of my K9 in the Pau Ferro grips. Better than the black rubber but I have seen sexier wood I have hit with the lawn mower.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/tazracing/103_0014.jpg?t=1318100928

Cyterio
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
I just got my grips from Kahr in the mail a few days ago. They are for a MK9 and do add some thickness over the black plastic stock grips. They went on with minor modifications, just had to cut out around that lower grip screw on the inside of the grips so it would sit flush. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but whatever they used to finish these grips with smells like cat pee. I hope with a little time the smell goes away.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Cyterio
01-07-2012, 01:45 PM
... Oh and to answer your question, yes I recommend you get them. I prefer the smooth grips also :-)

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Bkahrfull
01-08-2012, 04:48 AM
I got the grips and put them on. Look nice, but on one side, the screws didn't exactly line up. I could get the top one on but the bottom didn't line up. I tried the bottom first the top didn't line up. Have a buddy whose better with tools than me to make the minor adjustment.

harrydog
01-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I've been thinking about getting a set for my K9 but don't know whether to get the smooth or the checkered. Do the smooth ones allow you a solid, secure grip on the gun?

Bawanna
01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
I've been thinking about getting a set for my K9 but don't know whether to get the smooth or the checkered. Do the smooth ones allow you a solid, secure grip on the gun?

The smooth are nice in that they don't hang up on a shirt or cover garment, or if you pocket carry but the K9 is a bit out of that size range.

I've found that if you put a piece of skateboard tape on the front strap it makes a smooth grip work fine. Works very well on 1911's. I discovered that when I got my CBob. That front strap is important in the grip function.
If you get the smooth and find it doesn't work for you I know a fella that can checker and can hook ya up with that.

JFootin
01-08-2012, 12:54 PM
The smooth are nice in that they don't hang up on a shirt or cover garment, or if you pocket carry but the K9 is a bit out of that size range.

I've found that if you put a piece of skateboard tape on the front strap it makes a smooth grip work fine. Works very well on 1911's. I discovered that when I got my CBob. That front strap is important in the grip function.
If you get the smooth and find it doesn't work for you I know a fella that can checker and can hook ya up with that.

Bawanna, I am still toying with the idea of getting a set of the small classic grips for my J-frame. I am working with James Dean to create an AIWB leather holster with a negative cant that will make the grip sit horizontally just above my belt. In this application the smaller grips would make a real difference, removing the bulk in front of the grip frame and allowing it to snug down closer to the belt. Should I get smooth ones? After all, we know a fella that can do some checkering. Right? :yo:

Bawanna
01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Bawanna, I am still toying with the idea of getting a set of the small classic grips for my J-frame. I am working with James Dean to create an AIWB leather holster with a negative cant that will make the grip sit horizontally just above my belt. In this application the smaller grips would make a real difference, removing the bulk in front of the grip frame and allowing it to snug down closer to the belt. Should I get smooth ones? After all, we know a fella that can do some checkering. Right? :yo:

For you with your grip issues and carrying in that position I'd probably go with checkered. You need every bit of advantage in the grip area and clothing getting caught and dragging isn't a big issue in the front like it is on the side etc.

Of course if you go smooth we do know a fella that can do some checkering so your plan is sound.

harrydog
01-08-2012, 07:59 PM

I used skateboard tape on the front strap of my Rohrbaugh, which I no longer own, and also on my Seacamp, which I do still own and it works very well. Like you said, the front strap is probably more important than the side panels for providing a secure grip.
So...I think the smooth grips it will be. They look a little nicer too.
Thanks.

Bawanna
01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I used skateboard tape on the front strap of my Rohrbaugh, which I no longer own, and also on my Seacamp, which I do still own and it works very well. Like you said, the front strap is probably more important than the side panels for providing a secure grip.
So...I think the smooth grips it will be. They look a little nicer too.
Thanks.

The fella I know that checkers isn't gonna be happy with that line me thinks.

harrydog
01-12-2012, 07:12 PM
The fella I know that checkers isn't gonna be happy with that line me thinks.
I should clarify that I think smooth grips look better if the wood has a really nice or exceptionally interesting grain pattern. The pau ferro wood used for these grips doesn't appear to have either, so I guess the checked grips might make more sense.
I once had Hakan Pek make me a set of smooth birdseye amboina grips for a 1911. I asked him at that time if he could make grips for the K9 and he said no because he didn't have a K9 to use for a pattern and he was so busy filling orders that he didn't have the time to develop the design for them anyway. Too bad because his grips are even nicer in person than in the photos and he's a super nice guy to deal with.
http://imageseek.com/hakan/

Bawanna
01-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Exactly right. Some woods allow that pretty grain pattern to show right through the checkering. Others completely lose it when they are checkered.

The couple of stabilized grips I've checkered you couldn't even tell they were checkered at all.

Coco Bolo and most of the rosewoods don't lose much being checkered.