PDA

View Full Version : Help replacing back plate

Romadoc
01-22-2010, 02:34 PM
OK, I removed the back plate...chased down all the flying parts...changed the striker spring and am now trying to replace the back plate. I've already stabbed my thumb once and the bleeding has now stopped..but I still can't figure out how to hold down the striker while putting back the plate and still pushing down the pin in the "c" cut. Help please.

Vinikahr
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
OK, I removed the back plate...chased down all the flying parts...changed the striker spring and am now trying to replace the back plate. I've already stabbed my thumb once and the bleeding has now stopped..but I still can't figure out how to hold down the striker while putting back the plate and still pushing down the pin in the "c" cut. Help please.

You have to push it with a Glock armor tool or screwdriver, as you push down, then slide down the plate.

wyntrout
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Romadoc. I used the search function on this forum to find help on this topic. Try: http://kahrtalk.com/k-series-pistols/910-question-replacing-striker-spring.html
and specifically:
http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/197-how-detail-strip-kahrs-upper.html
read those associated posts because one member "fabricated" a clamp to hold stuff in place... out of a coat hanger, I believe.
There is a wealth on information here and not everyone is aware of it or uses the search function -- very valuable tool. There are a lot of people here with a lot of experience and there are a lot of guides and "how-to's" posted on the forum.
I hope that you can get your pistol reassembled.
Wynn:)

ripley16
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
This is what Wynn is talking about.

It holds the springs when you disassemble, so you don't have to chase them, and holds the pressure off the plate for reassembly.
It works.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Kahrtool002.jpghttp://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Kahrtool001.jpg

Vinikahr
01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Definitely easy way to do it.:80:

Ol'coot
01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I have also used this method and now keep the correctly size piece of wire with my cleaning stuff, Works great!

Romadoc
01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
As soon as I find the striker pin, I'll try to make one of the coat hanger specials. Just after writing for help I decided to give it one last try. However, just as I thought I had it right...bing went the striker spring and striker. Has anyone seen it? I found the spring but will wait until morning to resume searching for the striker. Damn, damn & damn. Better to calm down and give the old eyes and sore thumb a rest. Good thing I have another K9 as well as a MK9. Guess I'll have to transfer my new crimson trace to the spare just 1 day after I sighted it in. Life is filled with complications.

Raoul
01-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Romadoc. I used the search function on this forum to find help on this topic. Try: http://kahrtalk.com/k-series-pistols/910-question-replacing-striker-spring.html
and specifically:
http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/197-how-detail-strip-kahrs-upper.html
read those associated posts because one member "fabricated" a clamp to hold stuff in place... out of a coat hanger, I believe.
There is a wealth on information here and not everyone is aware of it or uses the search function -- very valuable tool. There are a lot of people here with a lot of experience and there are a lot of guides and "how-to's" posted on the forum.
I hope that you can get your pistol reassembled.
Wynn:)

Dude! Thanks, I've been looking for that jpg for a while and couldn't remember where it was.

wyntrout
01-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Glad I could help. I just saw that in the last week or so and was impressed by the ingenuity of the custom "clamp".:D
Everybody can use some help now and then. Why I remember just a week or so ago and I couldn't get my PM9 apart. I don't need no stinkin' manual -- treating it like my K9. Man, that was a "DOH!" moment.:o
Wynn

Romadoc
01-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I finally found the "flying" striker spring guide. It was, however, missing the little black cover as shown in the exploded views. Just how important is this and should I just use some black tape cut to size? I'm now going to wait till morning and do the rest in a more relaxed frame of mind.

Romadoc
01-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Finally got it back together (minus the black cover of the striker guide) by using a needle nose pliers to hold it down while replacing back plate. It does seem a lighter pull and hopefully it will smooth out.

ripley16
01-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Only one of my Kahrs has had the tiny, thin black rubber washer like object on the end of the striker guide rod cap. I don't know what purpose it served. I removed it and can see no difference in the gun... a T9 by the way. None of my newer Kahrs have the washer.

wyntrout
01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
When I take stuff apart, too often I have parts left over.:confused:
Wynn:o

getsome
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Romadoc, I have found it is a very good idea to sometimes walk away from something thats making you cuss rather than getting mad and breaking something or kicking the dog.....I sometimes have to force myself away from a problem cause I want to get it done but walking away and having a couple malted beverages usually does it for me....Another thing that unfortunately due to my old eyes I find helpful is a very bright light over my reloading bench and a large dinner plate size lighted magnifying glass...It's he*l getting old!!!

Bawanna
02-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Hey I just did the complete top end tear down on my K40 using the directions listed before. Made me the little coathanger deal affectionately named the thingamagig? Piece of cake. It needed it badly, lots of junk, oil etc in there. I noticed the cleanout hole that Jocko mentioned also and I think if I use that more often it'll help. I don't think anything was gummed up or anything but the makings were there.
Is it just me or does it really add to your confidence when you know what makes your gun tick?
If I can do it you can do it too. No injuries, no flying parts, was a bit of a close thing for a second but all is well. If my arms were longer I'd pat myself on the back. Guess I'll just use whats' left of the coat hanger.:D