PDA

View Full Version : What makes the CW series significantly lower in price?

roskee
12-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Please enlighten me...

aray
12-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Simpler manufacturing on the slide (engraved logo vs. rolled, bevelled vs. rounded top), single magazine vs. two, front sight is pinned vs. adjustable, etc. The barrel is conventional rifled vs. polygonal.

A pretty good summary of the differences is on the second page of the following PDF: http://www.kahr.com/PDF/CM9093r2.pdf

That's for the CM9 vs. PM9 but the differences are pretty much consistent across the CW series as well.

roskee
12-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I had no idea about conventional vs. polygonal rifling, and the difference between each. Are those the only two rifling designs that Kahr produces? I appreciate the info.

Bawanna
12-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I had no idea about conventional vs. polygonal rifling, and the difference between each. Are those the only two rifling designs that Kahr produces? I appreciate the info.

Yes just the two and shooting side by side I doubt a person could tell the difference accuracy wise. Shooting lead in a polygonal barrel is not recommended so if lead bullets are in your future the conventional CW or CM series might be a plus for you.

Tilos
12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
"Thanks, that makes a lot of sense"
That statement will make Kahr's marketing dept happy.

What everyone said...and one less magazine, the only real difference.
Oh, and if you want a black gun, it'll cost you.

Tilos

Ikeo74
12-30-2011, 11:41 AM
The question was about the CW Series which are cheaper than the CM Series. So why are they cheaper?:boink:

Tilos
12-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Really, where's it mention the CM series??

"What makes the CW series significantly lower in price?"

Sorry, I'm not taking the bait...good luck trolling though:yo:
Set the hook quickly if you get a nibble:19:

Tilos

roskee
12-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I did notice the PDF link compares the CM vs. PM, which is cool. I just wanted to get some sort of idea. If the CW series came in all black (at the same price), I'd go for it. I'm a K9 owner, and now ...."shooting lead in a polygonal barrel is not recommended," looks like my next concern. Or should it?

CJB
12-30-2011, 02:42 PM
The thing is - its probably not "that much" cheaper to produce, but represents a certain value point in the market, by which sales volume will (hopefully) make up for profit margin reduction, and keep overall profits in the black.

I've not shot, but have played with a few... they seem every bit a "PM" as the PMs, just a different style on the outside.

CJB
12-30-2011, 02:43 PM
If you want it in black, just Gun-Kote it for $15 and your oven time.

Tilos
12-30-2011, 04:37 PM
What CJB said...
And the CM9 was introduced to price compete with all the new mini 9s coming to market.
They changed it just enough to keep PM9 owners from whining.
YMMV,
Tilos

JFootin
12-30-2011, 04:55 PM
The question was about the CW Series which are cheaper than the CM Series. So why are they cheaper?:boink:

+1 on this question. Is the PM more expensive than the P series? Maybe it takes more finesse to make the small guns.

eltee
02-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I think the cx series all use MIM slide stops. I haven't heard of any problems with that part failing though.

Tilos
02-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Go to the Kahr site and look at both the mims stop and machined stop.

...same price:boink:.

go figure,
Tilos

CJB
02-03-2012, 05:08 AM
one word - MARKETING

thats it, nothing else.

forget cost of production, its insignificantly different

its a feature restricted model, to keep sales up

thats all ya got there, a few less features... its marketing

muggsy
02-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Yeah, I did notice the PDF link compares the CM vs. PM, which is cool. I just wanted to get some sort of idea. If the CW series came in all black (at the same price), I'd go for it. I'm a K9 owner, and now ...."shooting lead in a polygonal barrel is not recommended," looks like my next concern. Or should it?

The CW9 is a less expensive version of a P9. You could get a P9 in black and order a CW9 barrel for it. This would allow you to shoot lead bullets through your P9. Of course, Kahr does not recommend shooting reloads in any of their guns and doing so could void your warranty. ;)