PDA

View Full Version : CW9 shoots way low

LLDJR
01-23-2010, 11:21 AM
My CW9 shoots way low, today at the range, I could not hit within 18 inches of the target when I aligned the white dots.

Seems like the front sight is too high, anybody else see this issue?

Do the new Tritiums help it this? Do they make a shorter front sight?

I shot my dads CW45 and it was identical. When he shot his CW45, he did not even hit the paper at 20 feet:eek:

If I raised the flat front top surface of the gun barrel to the top of the rear sights it was very close

jwr
01-23-2010, 11:35 AM
My CW9 shoots way low, today at the range, I could not hit within 18 inches of the target when I aligned the white dots.

Seems like the front sight is too high, anybody else see this issue?

I shot mine for the first time yesterday and it was dead-on. I did, however, notice that several of my fliers went about 10" low at 5 yards! I called them as fliers though before checking the target--I think I may have been anticipating the trigger break or something. Makes for an interesting target--about 47 rounds in the 4" red and 3 rounds grouped tightly 10" below :-)

The guns I shoot the most are all single action and I think that had something to do with my misses being so far off. I got bored while waiting for the trigger to pull back far enough to fire ;-)

Out of curiosity did you shoot from a rest at all? I shot one magazine-full from a rest at 25' and put them all into about 3" group dead-center around the bullseye (which is good for me--I'm sure the gun is capable of much better). All my "low" shots came when shooting from a standing position.

LLDJR
01-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I must be anticipating the trigger as well,, I guess I need to practice more wiht the snap caps as jocko suggested to me.

Before I shot the Kahr, I was shooting my M&P Pro 9mm and M&P Full Size .40 caliber, the Pro has a Custom trigger so I imagine was probably yanking the Kahr low.

mr surveyor
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
before you take too much issue with the sights, try shooting from a very stable sandbag rest and concentrate on trigger control. Pay very close attention to the location of the front sight at the point of trigger break. I have also been slowly (painfully slow) trying to make the move from single action for carry to DA for several years... it's a "whole 'nuther world"

surv

jwr
01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
it's a "whole 'nuther world"

surv
Man, isn't that the truth!

I'm a long-time 1911 shooter and even my little Sig P238 .380 is a single action.

The thing I notice the most is how long it takes me to do follow-up shots with the CW9. My double-taps were noticeably slower with the CW9 than with either my 1911, 238, or even XD9sc.

I need practice! Fortunately the CW9 is a very pleasant gun to shoot and ammo is fairly cheap. I just need to do my part.

mr surveyor
01-23-2010, 02:27 PM
yeah, the practice/training has been very limited (for me) the last 18 months or so... mainly due to cost and inavailability of ammunition.

My old Kimber Compact is "tuned" to about a 2.5 lb crisp trigger, and very easy to handle follow-up shots. My .40 cal Sig P239 DA/SA is a bit of a challenge (mainly due to NOT getting enough range time) on the first shot (in DA), the SA follow ups are fast and smooth, although nothing like the Kimber. Most of the time at work I carry an Airweight snub, mainly for the ability to carry both shot shells as well as +p's for the possible critters my line of work may expose me to. Normally I have time to hand c0ck that one for a very nice 3.5 lb trigger, but really need to spend a lot more range time with the DA trigger on it as well. Several years ago I started buying KT pistols (P11, P32, P3AT and PF9) and fell in love with the simple "point and click" manual of arms. This led me to finally (after years of "reservations") buy my current favorite "non-field use" daily carry gun - CW9. Having had a good bit of previous experience with the long, twangy, gritty and somewhat heavy triggers of the KT pistols, the CW9 was akin to the clouds parting after a huge thunderstorm and the sun shining through. I still don't shoot the CW9 anywhere near as good (relatively speaking) as I do the SA pistols, but feel I can hit COM if need be. That's what counts for me with a weapon carried for self defense.

Even with limited live fire practice, dry fire practice can help tremendously with developing good trigger control.... snap caps included if you feel they are necessary.

Try the "Wall Drill" (WITH A FULLY PROVEN UNLOADED GUN):

1. Place a stick pin, thumb tack or paper with a small dot on the wall, or use a light switch screw already on the wall.

2. Position yourself in whatever "shooting stance" (standing, sitting, prone) that you want to practice, with the muzzle of the pistol about 6 inches away from the "target"

3. While squeezing off the "shot", concentrate on the position of the front sight as it relates to the target

4. As you follow through with the "shot", watch for any movement of the front sight away from the target

5. Repeat until there is little, or preferably NO movement of the front sight from the target point

A cheap and easy way to develop the muscle memory needed for the particular gun in consideration

I need to spend more time following the above suggestions myself as I know it works.

surv

jwr
01-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the tips! I will practice, practice, practice.

Dobieman
01-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Trigger pull gets some getting used to :D

jfrey
01-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Transitioning, as many of have, from a very finely tuned 1911 trigger to the kahr trigger takes a lot of practice. I found out rather rapidly that you don't squeeze the kahr trigger, but instead pull it through on purpose. I shoot mine much better that way. If you squeeze it like many of us have done in the past, you get to the point you think it will never go off. I just line up the sights and pull the trigger through and it works a lot better for me. This isn't a precision target pistol like several of my 1911's. It is a defensive gun and needs to be shot as such.

The sights on my CW9 shoot right to point of aim so if you are shooting that low, 2 things come to mind. First try moving your finger right to the top of the trigger. You may be riding the trigger too low and pulling it down when you pull it through. Second, be sure your hand is and stays as high on the grip as possible. If your hand isn't forced right up under the slide, on the grip, this combined with a low placement of the finger on the trigger will make you shoot low. Since you shot low with 2 different pistols, I would tend to think it is something you are doing and not the pistol. Look into this first before you adjust the sights. You may not actually need to after all.