PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Dinky Little Guns

Bongo Boy
01-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Trying to busy myself while I wait for my first Kahr to arrive, a K40.

This will be the first truly compact handgun I've owned. I regularly shoot an M&P 40 Pro 5", and M&P 45c compact, and a Sig P220. Even the 45c isn't really 'compact' compared to many or most of the Kahr.

So...I'm wondering, have you folks here ever done a sort of "let's see what we can do at 7 yards" here, posted the targets for each other to compare. I know there's lots of variables, levels of experience, ammo, etc. The reason is: I have some idea what's possible with full-size handguns. I've seen enough targets around to know what average people shoot and what's exceptional. I have no idea with 3" compact and sub-compact DA autos.

Anyway, I'd love to see a thread in each of the appropriate sub-forums where folks show their targets at distances such as 5, 7 and 12 yds or something like that, freestyle, slow fire, etc.

Is that just too goofy--do I need to find something to do?

Bawanna
01-06-2012, 09:16 AM
There's target pictures mixed in all the threads. I think you'll be very impressed with out well these dinky little guns shoot.

I've seen many incredibly small groups, sadly none of them were mine but mine are good enough.

Thunder71
01-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I've seen ragged single holes @ 15 yards with these Kahrs, but like Bawanna, it wasn't from me.

jocko
01-06-2012, 10:02 AM
probably wouldn't hurt to look around for something to do!!!!

Bongo Boy
01-06-2012, 01:20 PM
probably wouldn't hurt to look around for something to do!!!!

Yeah, I know. This was one of the "if you have to ask..." moments for me.
In ANY case, knowing folks can really shoot 'em in spite of the limitations provides a sense of 'no barriers but yourself' that helps out at the old range.

rjt123
01-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I know. This was one of the "if you have to ask..." moments for me.

In ANY case, knowing folks can really shoot 'em in spite of the limitations provides a sense of 'no barriers but yourself' that helps out at the old range.

Have to agree with that. I'm not the best shot (with any gun), but I'm at least as accurate (or inaccurate) with my Kahrs as any other gun. One of the main range report comments you'll see is "It's more accurate than I am."...and I agree with that.

Shadow Catcher
01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Trying to busy myself while I wait for my first Kahr to arrive, a K40.

This will be the first truly compact handgun I've owned. I regularly shoot an M&P 40 Pro 5", and M&P 45c compact, and a Sig P220. Even the 45c isn't really 'compact' compared to many or most of the Kahr.

So...I'm wondering, have you folks here ever done a sort of "let's see what we can do at 7 yards" here, posted the targets for each other to compare. I know there's lots of variables, levels of experience, ammo, etc. The reason is: I have some idea what's possible with full-size handguns. I've seen enough targets around to know what average people shoot and what's exceptional. I have no idea with 3" compact and sub-compact DA autos.

Anyway, I'd love to see a thread in each of the appropriate sub-forums where folks show their targets at distances such as 5, 7 and 12 yds or something like that, freestyle, slow fire, etc.

Is that just too goofy--do I need to find something to do?

Lower left corner target is the K9 at 12+ yards using WW white box ball ammo - the Corbon DPX shoots half that size a group at same range, and I've done one hole 15 yards 15 shot groups - just not on a 37 degreee day . . . :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/115786146222945467962/CASMiscGunStuff#5679364561483093394

Shadow Catcher

yqtszhj
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
They all shoot excellent. And the trigger is long but SWEET in my opinion.

hss.strat
01-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Last week I put 7 rounds in a .5" wide sticker at 7 yards with my K9. Didn't think to keep the target though. I'll be sure to hang on to one of the targets next time.

Bawanna
01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Jocko's shot some of the smallest one shot groups I've ever seen in my life. I don't recall seeing any of them any where near the vacinity of the black spot in the middle but tight groups to be sure.

mightymouse
01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Little guns are really a challenge and some are a real pain, literally, to shoot. LCP is a handfull with me, with my Beretta .40 I can put double the rounds in 1/2 the time, with far less drama. Small and cute...hard to shoot.
1/ second at least when using sights. 7 yds, CM9 this summer using two hands, standing, no support dialing in crimson trace. Kahr trigger really smooth for faster followups.
center square is 2".

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/BowtiedZ/CM9_9_27_11CT-010.png

NAA .32 acp Guardian makes the CM9 feel like a full size 1911
Sights? What sights? Two mags right after receiving new replacement. Sellier and Bellot... hot ammo
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/BowtiedZ/1125110916b.jpg

LCP , 2 mags . With CT I can get as tight as the CM9
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/BowtiedZ/lcp-CT007.jpg

Bongo Boy
01-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Lower left corner target is the K9 at 12+ yards using WW white box ball ammo - the Corbon DPX shoots half that size a group at same range, and I've done one hole 15 yards 15 shot groups - just not on a 37 degreee day . . . :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/115786146222945467962/CASMiscGunStuff#5679364561483093394

Shadow CatcherSo, is that a 3' x 4' target, then? :)

Seriously, very nice, all examples. It's hard for me to imagine doing that at 7 yds...we'll see. The HP vs K9 groups are real eye-openers. Wow.

What I've found lately is some very inconsistent results, even with 40SW powder-puff loads in the 5" M&P. Single-hole groups at 7 yds last year, no single-hole groups now for about a year, and a 100% variation in group size in the same session at the range--a bunch of 2" groups, then a sub-1" group.

I know that I've been on a trend of loading lower and lower charges, and recently I boosted back up to a hotter load and the groups tightened up substantially. But still not as good as when I first got the gun. Anyway...

Can't wait to see the mess I get into with the K40--I'm betting it will be a real handful, and a bit of a disaster to start out. I'm working on my excuses right now.

mightymouse
01-07-2012, 07:33 AM
The topic is target practice, not defensive shooting. Right?
Big difference, of course.

OldLincoln
01-07-2012, 10:52 AM
As is often said, the gun can shoot better than me. That goes for the vast majority of folks here. For me it just feels right in my hand and goes close to where I snap it up and shoot. My 1911 .45 is a wonderful gun that shoot s well, but definitely feels like I'm holding a brick. So for self defense I prefer the small gun.

O'Dell
01-07-2012, 11:16 AM
My CW40 is similar in size to your K40, but about 1/2 lb lighter. Here's 36 rounds at 35 feet. The group including a couple of flyers is 2 1/2 inches. This was the first time I shot the pistol.

Indigo
01-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Here's a dinky MK9 on 8" plates from 19 yards. I missed once but hit 6/7
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/th_cff99918.jpg (http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/?action=view&current=cff99918.mp4)

OldLincoln
01-07-2012, 06:41 PM
O'Dell, you embarrass me! I gotta go to the stamp store and get me one of those "bullet hit" stamps!! Just don't let 'em see the other side of the target!! :)

Bawanna
01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Here's a dinky MK9 on 8" plates from 19 yards. I missed once but hit 6/7
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/th_cff99918.jpg (http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/?action=view&current=cff99918.mp4)

Dang that works. Fine shooting. I'd need somebody off to the side with a rifle properly syncronized to do something like that.

mightymouse
01-07-2012, 07:31 PM
My CW40 is similar in size to your K40, but about 1/2 lb lighter. Here's 36 rounds at 35 feet. The group including a couple of flyers is 2 1/2 inches. This was the first time I shot the pistol.
Very nice! Especially after 36. Nice to know you could use a tennis ball for target practice.

Tilos
01-07-2012, 07:38 PM
mm:
Golf balls are my favorite target.
Shoot 'em at the bottom of the berm and they jump up and roll back down.

O'Dell
01-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys, but I cheated a bit. That target was shot six months ago, before my shoulder started bothering me. I can't do it today, and after the surgery in 12 days I won't be able to shoot at all for a couple of months at least. Here's an example from last week with the new CW45 to prove the point. The gun was perfect, but I wasn't.

18 rounds at 30 feet.

wyntrout
01-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I think we've seen that photo or one like it before. I remember the fancy brass catcher... great idea. I was picking them out of the snow at our Christmas shoot last month in Colorado, which is hard to do when the hot cases were landing in the snow!

Wynn:)

wyntrout
01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
That's still pretty good shooting, O'Dell!

Indigo
01-07-2012, 08:25 PM
I think we've seen that photo or one like it before. I remember the fancy brass catcher... great idea. I was picking them out of the snow at our Christmas shoot last month in Colorado, which is hard to do when the hot cases were landing in the snow!

It's a 12 second video it might not play for everyone. But yup those things are nice for being lazy

Bongo Boy
01-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Wow. So what I now know for a fact is that, if I apply what I already know and don't let the little gun scare me, I should be able to do just fine. I'm impressed, truly. I mean, I wouldn't have bought the K40 if I really thought it couldn't be shot, but still, there's a lingering doubt due to the unknown.

The handloads are stacking up in the ammo locker, in preparation for making the unknown...known.

I just read an old Guns and Ammo review article in which the author found light Magtech 130 gr loads shot tighter groups (in a K40). Has anyone found that to be clearly the case?

Indigo
01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Here's another little display from 12 yards with a P9 on 4" spinning plates.
Forgot to reload so only had 4 rounds oops. 3 out of 4 though decent.
So practice practice and the K40 will be as accurate as anything from only 7 yards in. The steel frame absorbs some recoil.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/th_18923b02.jpg (http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/?action=view&current=18923b02.mp4)

O'Dell
01-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Wow. So what I now know for a fact is that, if I apply what I already know and don't let the little gun scare me, I should be able to do just fine. I'm impressed, truly. I mean, I wouldn't have bought the K40 if I really thought it couldn't be shot, but still, there's a lingering doubt due to the unknown.

The handloads are stacking up in the ammo locker, in preparation for making the unknown...known.

I just read an old Guns and Ammo review article in which the author found light Magtech 130 gr loads shot tighter groups (in a K40). Has anyone found that to be clearly the case?

You'll do fine, Bongo. Your K40 will be a lot easier to shoot than my CW40 or CW45, because of the weight of the steel frame. A bit harder to carry, but there are always trade-offs. In fact, I just ordered a MK40 last week because I got a great price on it. This will be my 7th Kahr in five years, and the 4th I currently have, and I've never regretted any of them. The MK is the same size as the PM40, but quite a bit heavier because of the steel frame. I hope to get it prepped and shoot it before I'm out of the shooting business for a couple of months.

mightymouse
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys, but I cheated a bit. That target was shot six months ago, before my shoulder started bothering me. I can't do it today, and after the surgery in 12 days I won't be able to shoot at all for a couple of months at least.
18 rounds at 30 feet.
Hang in there. I'm sure you'll be doing better than ever in a short time.
I went through a year not shooting right handed, but to pass the time started shooting unsupported left. Cleaning, racking all with one hand. Even conceal carried left side. You might try it. Great experience, keeps you safe, and very good to be familiar shooting with either hand, because you just never know.

My surgeries paid off as I got a built in limp wrist stopper. :D Seriously made me a better shooter.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/BowtiedZ/5-5-11_fusion_.jpg

Let us know how the surgery goes, OK?

JFootin
01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
My surgeries paid off as I got a built in limp wrist stopper. :D Seriously made me a better shooter.

Is that your wrist? What happened to it?

Bawanna
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm hurting and going for the Advil just looking at that.

I have something similar in my low back. Doesn't do diddly for my limp wrist though.

MO_Soldier
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Is that your wrist? What happened to it?

He was so gay that his wrists were too limp to hold anything, so they had to compensate! :D

Bawanna
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I can't believe you said that about Mighty Mouse, my personal hero and mentor. I bet it wasn't much fun getting that hardware installed, not one bit.

MO_Soldier
01-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Haha, it's all fun and games! :)
I actually help install this type of hardware, not limited to the hand/forearm though.
My guess is he had severe arthritis and so they took off the cartilagenous surfaces of his wrist bones, and then secured them so they would grow together. Called an arthrodesis. Just a guess though. It limited mobility but eliminates the pain.

O'Dell
01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Hang in there. I'm sure you'll be doing better than ever in a short time.
I went through a year not shooting right handed, but to pass the time started shooting unsupported left. Cleaning, racking all with one hand. Even conceal carried left side. You might try it. Great experience, keeps you safe, and very good to be familiar shooting with either hand, because you just never know.

Just out of curiosity, how do you rack and clean a PM9 or MK40 with one hand? I thought about trying some left handed shooting, but couldn't figure that one out. Of course I'd have to warn everyone in a 270 degree arc, because there no predicting where the slug might go. :D

mightymouse
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
:D no offense taken, just a good laugh.

I tore the ligaments in both wrists, (concrete business for 27 years), bones shifted, rotated were grating on each other. We tried screws, removal of some bones and fusing three, but I kicked one screw out which made a hole in top of my radius, whole thing went to heck in 6 months. Next stop was complete fusing. My surgeon worked with me to maintain pistol grip and angles. Bar is is called LCP system, funny as one of my favorite pocket guns is the LCP. Now I'm solid bone from middle knuckle to elbow. Works out well for 90% and follow up shots are noticeably quicker.
I can't bend right side but grip-wise, still squeeze water out of rocks.
Left side is begging for same. I found encouragement knowing John Taffin had his fused after years of shooting hand cannons and never looked back. I try to get everyone to practice with weak side. You might be one handed some day.

Just out of curiosity, how do you rack and clean a PM9 or MK40 with one hand? I thought about trying some left handed shooting, but couldn't figure that one out. Of course I'd have to warn everyone in a 270 degree arc, because there no predicting where the slug might go. :D
When I purchased my CM9, I was still one handed. I learned to rack by holding handle against my shoulder or thigh. I still had access to thumb and pointer but holding the CM9 upside down, barrel facing away from me, pull slide back with thumb pressure against back of handle, push slide lock out with index. http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/BowtiedZ/cm9.jpgReally made me appreciate my Beretta for take downs.
I got to be nearly as accurate as right. I still carry my bug left side with confidence.

JFootin
01-08-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm hurting and going for the Advil just looking at that.

I have something similar in my low back. Doesn't do diddly for my limp wrist though.

Thunder can rack his PM9 with either hand.He puts his thumb in the crook of the grip below the slide, grips the slide with his fingers and squeezes. There is a video posted here somewhere. Now, getting the disassembly marks lined up and taking the slide stop out is another task requiring some dexterity, which you seem to have mastered. Cudos! :)

O'Dell
01-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks MM. I'm sorry for your problems - at least mine will be over in a short time. I'm not sure I'm up to learning any new techniques at my age. Maybe I could just take Vickie to rack the slide, oops, no, that won't work because she can't handle anything bigger than the P32 I got her. Hmmm, I guess I could take a vacation from shooting for a while, and then learn all over again. That couldn't be anything but an improvement.

sharpetop
01-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I didn't save any targets to prove anything, but I shoot my K40 as well as I shoot my Glock 23, which is usually a ragged hole at 7 yds. I know they are capable, but I typically don't shoot my handguns past 15 yds.

Bongo Boy
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I didn't save any targets to prove anything, but I shoot my K40 as well as I shoot my Glock 23, which is usually a ragged hole at 7 yds. I know they are capable, but I typically don't shoot my handguns past 15 yds.

I put 'em up at 12 yds from time to time and that's about as far as I normally go. The 3 handguns I shoot all have 'combat' type iron sights, and the M&P 40 Pro has a notch wide enough to drive a Cooper through...so at 25 yds with my eyes, I'm just goofing around.

I did get a surprise at an IDPA match where they'd placed a plate rack out at some distance, and it took me 3 rounds to finally get the idea I needed to pay attention to the entire sight picture--carefully.

Still, at the indoor range at 25 yds I barely see a blob to even put the sights under. Astonishingly, I usually hit the blob..but I'd have a tighter group shooting double-O buck at it. :)

Bongo Boy
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Well, here's how it went today. Shooting 14 groups of 6 rds each at 7 yds I was able to get an average group of 2.2", with 180 gr handloads running 5.0gr of HP-38 (W231). They were tightening up a little, on average, over those 14 groups.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/Kahr%20K40/FirstGroups.jpg

After the handloads I ran 8 groups of 6 rds each, Federal Champion ammo. Those groups averaged out to 1.75" (also at 7 yds).

Tightest groups shot were 1.38" in the first set of 14, 1.25" in the second set of 8 groups. Just 3 of the 22 groups were single-hole with one flyer each--the rest were 00 buck groups, so to speak.

There's some real potential there, and I must say, I actually like the trigger. Quite a bit, in fact. Am very, very pleased with this dinky little gun. Left thumb was bleeding (literally) from the front end of slide stop lever--will have to fix that before I can shoot the gun again.

Bongo Boy
01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Left thumb was bleeding (literally) from the front end of slide stop lever--will have to fix that before I can shoot the gun again.

...handled:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/Kahr%20K40/SlideLockLever.jpg

jocko
01-19-2012, 02:37 PM
I took a dremel and a drumn sander and completely countoured my slide stop lever 360 degrees. smootrhed it downb and it looks super andis about 1/3rd , 3/9th, 6/18th its original size.

just go over to that little search blick and type jocko's custom PM9 and it will pop up photos for u..

Bobby
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Ok cw9 at 10 yards plate rack.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/bobbyjmestepey/VIDEO0056.mp4

Now for little. 25 auto 10 yards plate rack. Last 5 rds.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/bobbyjmestepey/VIDEO0043.mp4

JFootin
01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Ok cw9 at 10 yards plate rack.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/bobbyjmestepey/VIDEO0056.mp4

Now for little. 25 auto 10 yards plate rack. Last 5 rds.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/bobbyjmestepey/VIDEO0043.mp4

Darned good shootin! :)

tv_racin_fan
01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
...handled:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/Kahr%20K40/SlideLockLever.jpg

Looks to me like you need to work on grip. Your thumb shouldn't be touching the slide lock until you want it to. It would suck to have your thumb engage the lock during an incident and lock the slide back prematurely.

wyntrout
01-19-2012, 04:45 PM
I hold my right thumb out of the way with my left thumb... like this lady is doing:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/overlappedthumbsgrip.jpg

My photos show this, too, but she's more photogenic.

tv_racin_fan
01-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Wyn I pretty much have the same sort of grip. Lots of people like the thumbs straight and forward grip style which I got no issue with BUT your thumbs should not touch the slide stop nor the mag release nor the safety (on firearms so equippped). I also do not like any grip where the weak hand thumb goes behind the firearm... It is horridly hazardous with a semi auto but I see revolver shooters using that sort of grip and cringe.

If the slide is locking back or the mag is dropping when it shouldn't the first thing to check is your grip (in my opinion).

wyntrout
01-19-2012, 04:57 PM
I kind of developed that grip for myself with my PM45. Not only did I need to stay off the slide release, but I had to stay clear of the mag release because it's rough and with recoil, hurts! If I switch to the left hand, I get all screwed up... sometimes get slide bites on the right hand that doesn't know what to do!

Bongo Boy
01-19-2012, 05:31 PM
There really isn't anything touching the slide lock lever, if you will--it was just a matter of the left hand sliding back into the front edge of the slide lock at the pin. Here's a view from the top of how my hands should be, but you can see that left thumb is well forward of the slide lock in this studio shot. It will creep rearward during extended shooting though, right back to where it was cut--amost 5/8" or so.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/Kahr%20K40/GripTop.jpg

It also looks here like the strong thumb in coming right down on the slide lock tab, but it really isn't--it's resting rather strongly on the left-hand thumb knuckle, and is pressing against the grip area just rear of the slide lock tab.

I don't think this is going to be a problem any longer, but I can see actually wrapping the left hand up around that trigger guard on this gun--something I'd never do with a full-size. I did this for about 50 rds last time at the range and it didn't seem to harm anything at all; I just didn't want to start breaking a bunch of habits all at once.

If I DO run into any problem releasing the slide, then I'll just grind the tab completely off the slide lock and have one long smooth, flat tab-less slide lock. Locking the slide accidentally isn't going to happen so there's no concern there.

Did I mention yet just how much I LOVE my K40? Wow...what a little gun.

I took a dremel and a drumn sander and completely countoured my slide stop lever...

Nice. I like very much that Kahr used solid steel pieces to make the pin and slide lock (rather than any stampings). But yes, it's not going to work well for a thumbs-forward grip and it also makes for added trouble with the holster. Just a little radius or like you did makes things slide like budda.

tv_racin_fan
01-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Yeah I hear ya there.. I love my K9. The wife got herself a CW9 and my son and I liked it so much I hadda have something similar but we prefer steel so I got myself a K9. First words out the wifes mouth when she touched it were "I know which Kahr I'm going to carry!". I hadda go right out and find HER a K9... wish now I hadn't as she can't run the slide on the K9 like she can the CW.

Bongo Boy
01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
...I hadda go right out and find HER a K9... wish now I hadn't as she can't run the slide on the K9 like she can the CW.

Can't blame her though....good taste and good sense. She'll figure out the slide--maybe she's trying to grip it slingshot style (thumb and forefinger) from the rear rather than clamping down from above with the whole mitten?

I'm thinking she'll be motivated. If not take her to the gun shop and show her the 'only other options' in the form of the ugliest little pink-and-nickel-plated pimp guns you can find. ;)

wyntrout
01-19-2012, 08:23 PM
You might have seen this already, but here's where I was shooting my P40 and let the guy next to me shoot it some. He put his weak hand thumb along the frame but he wasn't holding on the to the gun very well and if mine hadn't been Mag-na-ported, I think he would have hammered himself in the face... with full recoil! :eek:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8426&highlight=Mag-na-ported+P40&page=4

Bongo Boy
01-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I had not seen those photos, Wynn--thanks for pointing them out. That would be my ammo of choice, too (the Gold Dots), but I don't find them anymore in the 50 rd box. I'm thinking the boys in Sales asked, "Uh, if we can sell in 20 rd boxes for twice as much, why are we selling the 50-count units?".

Anyway--the photos do point out something to me. Your friends thumbs-forward grip is same one, basically, that I use (and most other shooters I see). But with the smaller-framed guns there's not a lot of places to put your weak-hand fingers, etc., and there's not a lot for the weak hand to do. This shows up in recoil where he loses the gun out of the left hand.

I've been wrapping the left hand right up over the trigger guard--trying something I'd never do with any of my other handguns. It feels pretty good, and actually seems to help compensate for the fact my trigger finger really wants to reach across the trigger much further than on full-sized guns. So far, this seems to work well, although it sure feels odd. I find the left index finger gets a firm grab on the trigger guard, and allows the other fingers to better wrap over the strong hand.

I'll try this for a while--checking for any left-right pulling or imbalance. I hate to try something new sometimes, especially when it's so counter to everything I've learned so far. But, these are small guns with recoil totally out of proportion to that of a full-sized competition gun shooting much weaker handloads.

Nice photos, BTW--really enjoyed those blast shots.

wyntrout
01-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks. I've found that the videos can be helpful... as when my son was trying to compensate for the recoil and pushing the gun forward... caught that a couple of times when he clicked on empty. Some of the flashes are pretty impressive, too.

I watch for sales and deals and am ready to pounce. I usually buy range ammo in 500-round lots or case lots, but SD ammo costs more, so I buy 200-250 rounds as I shoot some now and then. Sometimes there are shortages in my chosen ammo and I've had to switch to my second choice or what's available.

I prefer the Gold Dot Short Barrel, but it's available only in 20-round boxes at better than $1 per round, but I buy the 50-round boxes of LE Gold Dots for under $30 each. Shipping consideration are important, too. I watch for sales, free shipping, and coup0ns like Cabela's has quite often. I haven't bought any bad ammo, yet. I stick to the tried and true.

Bongo Boy
01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Where are you finding the Speer Law Enforcement (50rd) boxes? I haven't seen 'em in quite a while (at Cheaper than Dirt and Ammo to Go).

wyntrout
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Some guys were just talking about that on here. I find leads like that sometimes and go check them out.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10561

JFootin
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Where are you finding the Speer Law Enforcement (50rd) boxes? I haven't seen 'em in quite a while (at Cheaper than Dirt and Ammo to Go).

http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.php

Bongo Boy
01-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Range Report

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/Kahr%20K40/TargetInitial135grLoads.jpg

For me, this is pretty good. Room for improvement, but that's why I go to the range. I'm thrilled with the potential, a complete 'believer' in the Kahr trigger, and see no reason not to carry the K40.

While I've believed for years now that it is almost never the gun--no matter how old, ratty or unpopular--that limits the average shooter, the smaller Kahr was a real unknown for me and was going to put that firm belief to the test. While there is a special challenge in holding on to this thing, it's just something else that has to be learned and experimented with a bit.

I look very much forward to the long journey ahead of getting solid, multiple hits quickly out of the holster, but there's no question whatsoever: this dinky little thing can most certainly do it.

Chuck54
01-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Lookin good

jocko
01-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Range Report

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/Kahr%20K40/TargetInitial135grLoads.jpg

For me, this is pretty good. Room for improvement, but that's why I go to the range. I'm thrilled with the potential, a complete 'believer' in the Kahr trigger, and see no reason not to carry the K40.

While I've believed for years now that it is almost never the gun--no matter how old, ratty or unpopular--that limits the average shooter, the smaller Kahr was a real unknown for me and was going to put that firm belief to the test. While there is a special challenge in holding on to this thing, it's just something else that has to be learned and experimented with a bit.

I look very much forward to the long journey ahead of getting solid, multiple hits quickly out of the holster, but there's no question whatsoever: this dinky little thing can most certainly do it.

port it and really enjoy the comfort of the K40. great gun, just ask Bawanna, he has a ported K40-.

Bongo Boy
01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Given the manufacture year of (apparently) 1998, and assuming there's been no custom work done to it, do you think this trigger can be modified for a shorter pull? It's actually no big deal--I'm very happy with the trigger--but not having any Kahr experience outside this one, I don't know if it has a long or a short trigger pull. Best guess or, how can I know?

eltee
02-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't know about shortening the trigger, it is a safety feature. Once you get used to it you are good to go. When I lived in Minnesota I shot a 50 out of 50 for my ccw qual. Distances of 15 yards to about 5 yards I believe. I was using my K9.

Bongo Boy
03-03-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't know about shortening the trigger, it is a safety feature. Once you get used to it you are good to go. When I lived in Minnesota I shot a 50 out of 50 for my ccw qual. Distances of 15 yards to about 5 yards I believe. I was using my K9.

Oh, I wasn't planning to do any mods to the gun at all--I was really referring to the 'NYPD' vs Elite triggers. I don't know which mine has, if an Elite type trigger can be retrofitted into this unit, or if I'd really prefer a shorter pull.

I am getting used to it, slowly. I've just begun practice in getting off rapid shots and am seeing some improvement--of course it still seems to take forever before the trigger breaks, but it's not a single-action so it's a going to be a learning process.

Tilos
03-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I may have posted this before within the 7 pages of this thread, but this is a method I use to measure trigger travel:

Measuring Trigger Travel

With an EMPTY and kocked gun, lay it on it's right side, on a sheet of paper.

While holding the gun down to prevent movement, put a pen in front of the trigger with the tip touching the paper.

Slowly push the pen against the trigger until the gun dry fires.
The length of the line drawn is the length of the trigger pull:eek:.

If you're annal about it, do it several times and average the results.

Not touchie/feelie, just accurate measurement method.

Sap
03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
8 rounds of American eagle 115 gr from 7 yards
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee462/sap169/44425d07.jpg

acala91
03-19-2012, 11:28 AM
These little guns can be very accurate. Once you learn the trigger you can hit what you aim at. This is 7 rounds of 115gr WWB from 7 yards through a CM9.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb159/06RedfireGT/2012-03-15_16-17-39_226.jpg

Bongo Boy
03-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Even trying to shoot my very best today I wasn't able to put together consistent groups, but it was clearly eyesight and not the gun. At 7 yds I have 5 shots touching one another and the 6th round about and inch away, the other 200 rds produced probably nothing better than 2" groups at 7 yds. But I noticed I seem to be super sensitive to lighting, and consistently put nice groups in the upper left hand target, worse in the other 3.

What I was extremely pleased with was that I am now able to put these flacid groups together with a relatively quick response time. So, very little difference between taking my time and going for 'precision', and just lifting the gun up and firing. Very pleased to be able to do that now and put 'em all in a 4" or 5" circle at 7 yards with relative speed. Probably not enough speed to stay alive in a gunfight, but definitely coming along.

I now feel quite confident with this as my carry...sweet little gun.

jocko
03-24-2012, 07:48 PM
u guys make me sick!!!

below is my group shot at 7 yards--unbelievable ain't it:behindsofa: