PDA

View Full Version : 45 gap

melissa5
01-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Does anyone reload it? I just purchased a Glock 37 for use in the GSSF heavy metal division and I'm having a tough time finding load data using Unique. I'd like to stick with a bulky powder like Unique so that I don't double charge. I will be using 200 gr X-treme RN plated bullets and Federal primers. Just need to find a good bulky powder recipe...

TucsonMTB
01-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Not sure if this is helpful . . . no first hand experience at all. :o

http://www.alliantpowder.com/whats_new/latest_recipes.aspx

melissa5
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks, TucsonMTB! I wonder how that 200 gr hollow point would compare to the 200 gr plated RN that I will be using? Does a hollow point require more or less powder than a plated bullet? I don't know which way to adjust the charge.

TucsonMTB
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Well, the mass of the projectile is the same, so that shouldn't matter. The intrusion into the case would be the variable. So long as your bullet does not reduce the available volume (for the powder) too greatly, you probably do not have to adjust at all.

That said, I am NOT an experienced re-loader. Hopefully, someone with real experience can provide a more definitive answer.

Do you have a chronograph? Testing, starting a little light in the charge and then moving up seems to be the most common approach around here. :)

melissa5
01-11-2012, 03:48 PM
No, I don't have a chrono. I guess I could try emailing Alliant to see what they say.

Bawanna
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't think you'd have an issue Melissa using that Hollow Point load with your RN at all. You'll start at the low to medium end of the recipe and as Tucson said its the bullet weight that is a major factor.

The case capacity can be an issue of course but those bullets should be very similar and if the capacity is reduced a little it shouldn't make to much difference.

melissa5
01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't think you'd have an issue Melissa using that Hollow Point load with your RN at all. You'll start at the low to medium end of the recipe and as Tucson said its the bullet weight that is a major factor.

The case capacity can be an issue of course but those bullets should be very similar and if the capacity is reduced a little it shouldn't make to much difference.

Hey Sugar! They only posted the max. charge. So, how much can I safely reduce that charge to find a medium load?

Bawanna
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Hey Sugar! They only posted the max. charge. So, how much can I safely reduce that charge to find a medium load?

Well apparently the recipe is not very vast. I'm coming up blank for Unique loads but with W231 I found a start load of 4.2 and a max load of 4.6. That's not a very large spread.

I seem to recall that reducing a maximum load by 10% was a good start load but I'm sure not gonna recommend that just on memory.

You have any other powders. I did find that is seems to like a fast burning powder like Bullseye, Tite Group etc and Unique is in the fast category too so only a matter of finding the menu. I'll look around some more.

melissa5
01-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Well apparently the recipe is not very vast. I'm coming up blank for Unique loads but with W231 I found a start load of 4.2 and a max load of 4.6. That's not a very large spread.

I seem to recall that reducing a maximum load by 10% was a good start load but I'm sure not gonna recommend that just on memory.

You have any other powders. I did find that is seems to like a fast burning powder like Bullseye, Tite Group etc and Unique is in the fast category too so only a matter of finding the menu. I'll look around some more.

Thanks Bawanna! I found some Titegroup recipes that I will use if I can't find good data for Unique. Someone else suggested the 10% reduction method so you must remember correctly. :)

sas PM9
01-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks, TucsonMTB! I wonder how that 200 gr hollow point would compare to the 200 gr plated RN that I will be using? Does a hollow point require more or less powder than a plated bullet? I don't know which way to adjust the charge.

M5:

Generally the plated bullet mfrs suggest that you use a reduced jacketed bullet load.

IE: "Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads."

So, I would suppose a 10% reduction of powder would be a good starting point and see how it goes from there.

PS. I was perusing the alliant powder site and comparing the respective loadings of ACP and GAP and it appears that in the common powders between them the GAP loads are 92-93% of the ACP loads. Just something to use for comparison, to get you ballpark to start.

HTH

-steve

melissa5
01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
PS. I was perusing the alliant powder site and comparing the respective loadings of ACP and GAP and it appears that in the common powders between them the GAP loads are 92-93% of the ACP loads. Just something to use for comparison, to get you ballpark to start.

Thanks Steve! That makes lot of sense since the GAP is slightly shorter than the ACP.