PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive range case

wyntrout
01-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I've been keeping a watch for something to use as a range case that wouldn't cost a fortune. I was at Harbor Freight Tools yesterday with a handful of coupons freshly harvested from their latest mail flier. It wasn't on my mind at first, but when I saw the tool cases I thought one might be good for a range box. The best looking one for the job is item #36871 for $34.99. I had a 20% off one item coupon and that brought the price down to $27.99 plus tax.
The dimensions are H~12", L~18", & W~8 1/2". It weighs around 7 pounds or so. There is a divider on each side where you could put at least one pistol and room for ammo and whatever else in the center. There's a holder for pens on one side of the inner top and a couple of "pouches" for the credit cards to buy range ammo on the other. There is a shoulder strap as well. There are two resettable 3-digit combination locks on the top. Not great security, but that's not why I wanted it.
For less than $30 it seems a good deal. I have to make something for magazine holders and it will do for carrying at least two pistols and gear. I wouldn't want to fill it to the brim with ammo and gear, though, and overload it.
It certainly looks better and there will be easier access to everything than anything else I've ever carried to the range.:o
Anyhow, If anyone is looking for something like this, watch for the 20% off one item coupons in their fliers and try one of these.
Wynn:D

southgeorgiaivory
01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Good looking box, great product for the money! Beats my triple-layered wallyworld bag...:D:D

Vinikahr
01-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Innovation saves you money :hippie:

wyntrout
01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah... that's right. I wouldn't want you to think I'm cheap... I do have to save money to feed my Kahr's.:33:
Hey, Vini', there's a gun show over at the fairgrounds in Jax this weekend. I don't have any money that's not already spent, but I'm thinkin' of going to that. I like the ones at the Morocco Temple the best, though.

Vinikahr
01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah... that's right. I wouldn't want you to think I'm cheap... I do have to save money to feed my Kahr's.:33:
Hey, Vini', there's a gun show over at the fairgrounds in Jax this weekend. I don't have any money that's not already spent, but I'm thinkin' of going to that. I like the ones at the Morocco Temple the best, though.

What makes believe, that I think you are cheap? It is good to have options, I am person that likes options. I went to a gun show this past weekend, and sold three firearms(all at the asking price) in less than ten minutes, there are some serious people buying guns. Left ASAP did not wanted to hang out for too long or I would have spend the money my self. I went home gave my wife her cut of the money!:4:

jeep45238
01-26-2010, 06:00 PM
My holster works as a great range case :)

wyntrout
01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Vini', good for you. it's fair and good to stay on good terms with your partner.

And it's hard to carry 200-300 rounds of ammo, my gun cleaning kit, hearing protection, and 2 to 4 pistols, plus multiple magazines for each in a holster, or in bags or whatever. The last time I only carried my nines and all of the other stuff, so a way to have all of that stuff at hand and not be digging in a bag is really nice and handy.:D
Wynn

Vinikahr
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE]Vini', good for you. it's fair and good to stay on good terms with your partner.We like to share.

And it's hard to carry 200-300 rounds of ammo, my gun cleaning kit, hearing protection, and 2 to 4 pistols, plus multiple magazines for each in a holster, or in bags or whatever. The last time I only carried my nines and all of the other stuff, so a way to have all of that stuff at hand and not be digging in a bag is really nice and handy.:D
Wynn I know what you talking about, after the gun show I went to the range to break in the CW45 and The PM9, 400 plus rounds, that bag was heavy. But I usually don't carry that much ammo at any given time it was a one time event.:photo::40:

ltxi
01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
For everyday use, I have an old tool or tackle box (I forget which) that I paid maybe $5.99 for somewhere between 20 and 100 years ago. It serves two purposes....it does what I need it to do and it marks me as the old guy who doesn't give a rat's butt about fancy equipment. It is often amusing to watch the next over lane shooter's face when I open it up and pull out a couple of high end, custom 1911s or whatever wrapped snugly in hand towels.

wyntrout
01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Well, that would also not attract thieves like a fancy rig would. I hope no one mistakes my shiny $28 tool box for expensive hardware!:eek:
I need to rig something to keep all of the magazines secure and that's about it. It won't be that pretty, but it'll work.:) Hmmm... maybe some wheels for those long range sessions where I bring just about everything....:33:

medezyner
01-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Thats a sweet deal for 28 bucks and classy to boot. One of my first (and still used occasionally) was an under $20 heavy duty canvas tool bag. It was large w/interior compartments and came with a heavy padded shoulder strap which came in handy when lugging around 20 pounds of ammo.

wyntrout
01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
I really looked the case over and I don't think that you would want to test it full of tools or ammo, because the construction is not very heavy duty, but I think that it will serve my purpose. I've had cheap canvas bags fail on me -- the vinyl straps broke or the seams gave way. It's nice not to have to hold the sides one way then another to find stuff.
I just ordered a couple of hundred rounds of Double Tap 9mm +P 124gr JHP for defense use. I'll try the case out when that gets in. I've heard this ammo compared to Speer Gold Dots... or it uses those bullets(?). It was $37 a box of 50 which is "cheaper" than a lot of defense ammo at $24 to $40, or more:eek:, per box of 20 or 25. I hope that works well in my K9 and PM9. I've spent more on the ammo this month than on the PM9, I think. My wife doesn't look at the details on the credit cards... usually.:o This sure ain't a cheap hobby! The last range trip cost me over $100 'cause I was trying out those buck or more a shot defense rounds as well as the range fodder. Wahoo! :33:

medezyner
01-29-2010, 06:32 AM
I hear ya about it being an expensive hobby, but out of all my hobbies through the years, it’s the most satisfying for sure. I had a student in the basic pistol course ask me what he could expect to spend per year with his new-found hobby. I told him at a minimum, you’ll spend double what you paid for the pistol. After I showed him the math, he stopped laughing. I don’t even want to think about what I’ve spent in 09’, but nothing puts a sh** eating grin on my face like a great day at the range! I made sure he got that message.

recoilguy
01-29-2010, 07:39 AM

True that........making something for your self ussually ends up that you have something exactly the way you want it too. Nice work on the case. I am always looking for something other then my gym bag to tote my gear in.

RCG