PDA

View Full Version : Range report: G30, 686, AK.

les strat
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
I took the G30, AK, and new (to me) 868 to the range today. I went alone. Sometimes, I like it better that way - seems I can focus on my groupings more than chatting with a buddy. Anyway.....

The Glock 30 shot like a pro... or maybe it was me, lol. Seriously, that thing is one of the most accurate Glocks I have ever shot (Massad Ayoob thinks so too!). And so easy shooting with the 13 or 10 round mags. I could hit a milk jug dead center at 50 yards. Good enough for me. Picked up a cool black JIT-type OWB holster on the way home too.

The S7W 686 no-dash shot consistently low, so I will work on that next range trip. Sweet shooter especially with .38's.

The WASR AK got a new side mount and red dot scope for Christmas, and I had laser bore sighted it in, which proved to get groupings in a 4 inch circle at 50 yards. It is 1 MOA red dot. The more I dialed around, I couldn't get it much better. Chalk it up the being an AK. Would still be COM. Seems it is less accurate now that I added the slant muzzle brake. Me thinks the gasses escaping at different levels surrounding the muzzle surely has to affect accuracy- just like having a bad ding in the crown affects accuracy. I might put the muzzle nut or an AK74-style brake on next time and see what she'll do.

All in all, it was great to be able to be off of work on a Monday and get to the range.

kahrcrazy13
01-18-2012, 05:30 PM
nice i just got same ak47 i took all wood off and put all tactical tapco upper n lowers also fixed stock brand new havnt shot yet i live in il been really cold hopefully gets warm soon so i can go test it out! check out my pics in my profile let me know if you like what i did to the ak !

les strat
01-18-2012, 07:01 PM
I didn't see any pics in your profile. Hmmm. Weird.

I started to do that to my AK but ended up seeing if I could get along with the wood if I worked on it. I ended up cleaning it and sanding it smooth, dying it with red dye, and staining/wetsanding it with Watco red oak Danish oil. I fell in love with the traditional look at that point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/IMG_6723.jpg