PDA

View Full Version : P938 9mm sig with P238 action

Barth
01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
The SIG P938 pistol appears to be the latest gun to leak ahead of the 2012 SHOT Show.
According to SigSauerGuns.com, the P938 will be a 9mm pistol similar to the SIG SAUER P238,
but chambered in 9mm rather than .380 ACP.
With dimensions just slightly larger than its .380ACP counterpart,
the P938 packs six plus one rounds of 9mm into an all-metal frame.
The cocked-and-locked single-action trigger gives the P938 unmatched accuracy in a pistol its size.
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/P938-Rosewood.jpg
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/P938-Equinox.jpg
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/P938-Extreme.jpg
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/P938-SAS.jpg

FLBri
01-18-2012, 03:46 PM
from the written specs that are available on the Sig site .... the only dimension that is larger than the P238 is the length. A "whopping" 0.4 ".

I, for one, am very anxious for this to be released. I will enjoy comparing it to my totally 100% reliable PM9. I own a P238 (2 counting the wife's) and the only thing I don't like about it is that it isn't 9mm!

KMA
01-18-2012, 04:10 PM
The P938 is a very interesting firearms. I would like to have one.

kahrcrazy13
01-18-2012, 04:40 PM
how much they going for ? my parents looking for a gun for home defense something bigger then a 380 but in compact size ! might just have to buy them one I'm likeing the chrome n black with the black wooden grips that come on second one i wonder if there going to b selling the grips to ! did they mention a price ?

JFootin
01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
how much they going for ? my parents looking for a gun for home defense something bigger then a 380 but in compact size ! might just have to buy them one I'm likeing the chrome n black with the black wooden grips that come on second one i wonder if there going to b selling the grips to ! did they mention a price ?

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-blackwood.aspx

The m.s.r.p. is under Specifications.

kerby9mm
01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I have 2 p238's and both run reliably. I also have a Kahr mk9 which is much heavier duty that I know will take 9mm +p loads. The p238 makes a good 380 and from the specs I've seen on it should stay a 380. The p938 doesn't seem to be beefed up enough to me to handle 9mm its only slightly longer. Just my opinion from owning both

TriggerMan
01-19-2012, 06:03 AM
A gun dedicated to Home Defense need not be a difficult to shoot and less reliable compact gun. You should direct them to a full size gun weighing at least 21 oz. +

M&P 9 because it has good capacity, is totally reliable, can be sized for any size hand, and can be had with a safety (can be removed later if desired). About $510-539

FLBri
01-19-2012, 08:27 AM
I have 2 p238's and both run reliably. I also have a Kahr mk9 which is much heavier duty that I know will take 9mm +p loads. The p238 makes a good 380 and from the specs I've seen on it should stay a 380. The p938 doesn't seem to be beefed up enough to me to handle 9mm its only slightly longer. Just my opinion from owning both

The implied result of this statement is that you believe if a 9mm isn't as heavy as the MK9 that it would be "under built." I have an MK9 as well as 2 P238's and also a PM9. I'm surprised to hear you say that the P238 "should stay" a 380 given that the PM9 is arguably Kahr's most successful and reliable handgun. As a 380, the P238 is an oz. heavier, and is a 1/2" longer (than the original PM9 version) than the PM9. As a 9mm, the P938 will add an oz ... and add 1/2" in length. This would make it more substantial, in weight and dimension at least, than the PM9 (actually as a 380 the P238 is already more substantial than the PM9 9mm). The extra length allows for a longer barrel (same length as a PM9 barrel according to specs) and I'm sure a stouter recoil assembly. The width of the P238 is already the same (actually slightly more) as the PM9.

I'm only demonstrating the fact that a reliable 9mm can be made in less than the weight and dimensions of the P238. My PM9 is the most reliable gun I own and is plenty substantial. I also like the heft of the MK9 in a small package as it makes it a relatively soft shooter. All three pocket-able pistols have their place and neither suffers for reliability.

kerby9mm
01-19-2012, 11:57 AM
I do not own any polymer guns but I think polymer is lighter than aluminum,correct me if I am wrong. I guess my point was barrel thickness of mk9 compared to the p238,frame rails and other parts just by looking at both of them. I'm not an engineer that's why I said it was only my opinion. I'm sure it will work fine because its a Sig. I don't have large hands but a 9mm p238 size at least for me might not be comfortable to shoot.

dirksterg30
01-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Interesting idea, but with the multitude of issues SIG had with the 238 initially, I don't have much confidence the 938 will fare any better initially.

FLBri
01-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I guess the simpler way to say it is that the PM9 demonstrates the fact that a reliable and sturdy 9mm can be built into a platform that is as small, or smaller, than the P238.

You are right ... it may not be as easy to shoot as the MK9 ... but I'm sure that it can be reliable.

The other side of the P238 recalls is that Sig definitely worked out their issues. This should give them a leg up on the P938 in not making the same mistakes. I don't think they would be foolish enough to WANT to repeat that performance. It can, in NO WAY be profitable to make those mistakes.

TriggerMan
01-19-2012, 01:24 PM
I guess the simpler way to say it is that the PM9 demonstrates the fact that a reliable and sturdy 9mm can be built into a platform that is as small, or smaller, than the P238.

You are right ... it may not be as easy to shoot as the MK9 ... but I'm sure that it can be reliable.

The other side of the P238 recalls is that Sig definitely worked out their issues. This should give them a leg up on the P938 in not making the same mistakes. I don't think they would be foolish enough to WANT to repeat that performance. It can, in NO WAY be profitable to make those mistakes.I am on my third P238. Sig replaced the first two. All three are/were dead nuts accurate. None had feeding or extraction failures. They went bang everytime. Gun #1 was replaced due to a small fracture in the frame, gun #2 had a stripped screw hole in the top right grip.

The P238s which were good out of the box had 3rd gen mags, 2nd gen slides and 2nd gen recoil springs. Early production also had a limited recall and, of course, guns with gen 1 mags etc. had their issues.

I'm looking forward to the P938. If it's controllable and accurate, I'll pick one up.

jocko
01-19-2012, 05:01 PM
other than a single action 9mm, the gun is very nice lookig. not for me as a pocket gun due tothe cocked and locked thing. I am just not comfortable with that inmy pocket. but it is a sig and they normaly don't make junk so it will sell and it will enter the realm of single stack pocket rockets that seems to be flooding the market now. I think kahr though is protecting their turf pretty well to.

ltxi
01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
P238 was new design. It had a few start-up bumps. Nothing Sig didn't make good on as far as I know. The P938 is an evolution. It should be up front better.

I will buy one. I know S/A autos aren't for everyone, but they do work for me other than for pocket carry. I was really pleased when Sig saw fit to resurrect this Colt design. Having them take that a step further to 9mm leaves me ecstatic.

kerby9mm
01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
One of the p238s I have has the thinner slide,flatspring recoil spring and second gen mag. It also got the ding in the feed ramp from the mag hitting it which I buffed out. My second one is July of 2011 manufacture date. It never got the ding in the feed ramp so Sig must have redesigned something else to add to the other upgrades the did to the gun. My recoil guide rods vary with the older one being flat where it touches the barrel link(?) The newer one has a machined cut in it on the bottom there.

QuercusMax
01-21-2012, 06:58 AM
This is a really attractive item. I have had a P238 on my wish list for some time now, but have been resisting because a few other items are higher on the list, and also because I didn't want to add yet another caliber of ammo to keep on hand. I have 4 calibers to deal with already, with a 5th on the way (latest wish list item arriving soon), plus I just don't see the usefulness of 380ACP when I have several 9mm items.

The P938 overcomes the latter objection, so now I'm certainly going to add it to my wish list. Good thing it is not available yet - Will give me some time to contemplate its acquisition, which is part of the joy. Also some time to enjoy my latest item - and save up for the next!

Cokeman
01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
I hoped it would be more attractive. I'm a bit disappointed. :(