PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a new PM45: range test

Bill Sander
01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I picked up a new PM45 and went to the local Bass Outdoor World range.
Before heading out, I disassembled, cleaned (it was dirty) and lubed it with Weapon Shield.
Wow, I love this gun. I ried about 90 rounds of mixed ammo and mixed them in the mag.
I did not have one problem. it was accurate and best of all>>NO PROBLEMS.
I own a dozen .45's and after another range session it is going in my pocket.
Bill

mcoperator
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Glad to hear it. I just picked up one myself and had no problems with mine either it's now my main carry with crimson trace and Mitch Rosen clipper holster arriving next week.

Bawanna
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Give me first hand brutally honest input here. I too obviously am a 45 guy but have had a hankering for the PM45 of course. I have a K40 which I like but the size weight ratio while not bad could be better. I've heard that the recoil spring is very very heavy and cycling the slide requires a couple cans of spinach and and couple guys to help on the PM45. Just a rumor and I don't put much credence in rumors. I'm also interested in the recoil. I'm not sensitive but have to be realistic. If it take 8 seconds to get your shoulder relocated and the gun back in line, might not be such a good defense weapon. I got a feeling they are really nice and maneagable but I've yet to play with one. Straight from the hip, speak the truth or something at least close.
:confused:

Vinikahr
01-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I picked up a new PM45 and went to the local Bass Outdoor World range.
Before heading out, I disassembled, cleaned (it was dirty) and lubed it with Weapon Shield.
Wow, I love this gun. I ried about 90 rounds of mixed ammo and mixed them in the mag.
I did not have one problem. it was accurate and best of all>>NO PROBLEMS.
I own a dozen .45's and after another range session it is going in my pocket.
Bill

Congrats!:)

mcoperator
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Give me first hand brutally honest input here. I too obviously am a 45 guy but have had a hankering for the PM45 of course. I have a K40 which I like but the size weight ratio while not bad could be better. I've heard that the recoil spring is very very heavy and cycling the slide requires a couple cans of spinach and and couple guys to help on the PM45. Just a rumor and I don't put much credence in rumors. I'm also interested in the recoil. I'm not sensitive but have to be realistic. If it take 8 seconds to get your shoulder relocated and the gun back in line, might not be such a good defense weapon. I got a feeling they are really nice and maneagable but I've yet to play with one. Straight from the hip, speak the truth or something at least close.
:confused:

Before I fired mine I tried manually cycling the slide to empty the chamber, it was difficult, after breaking it in I did not have any trouble with that. As far as recoil I did not have any issues but my son after firing it said "wholly cow that thing is a monster" I would think the recoil would be less than your .40 but it is a smaller gun so it's gonna kick more than a 1911 or an XD etc... I traded a PM9 for mine and have no regrets and am VERY happy with mine.
Sorry for going off topic in this thread.

Bawanna
01-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Before I fired mine I tried manually cycling the slide to empty the chamber, it was difficult, after breaking it in I did not have any trouble with that. As far as recoil I did not have any issues but my son after firing it said "wholly cow that thing is a monster" I would think the recoil would be less than your .40 but it is a smaller gun so it's gonna kick more than a 1911 or an XD etc... I traded a PM9 for mine and have no regrets and am VERY happy with mine.
Sorry for going off topic in this thread.

Thanks mcoperator. Many people who have shot my 40 say the same thing, it bucks a bit. Not something you let your kids shoot for sure. I figured the PM45 being a fraction of the weight would be somewhat of a handful but not bad. When my PM45 happens and I'm sure it will now, it will probably be carried alot and shot not so much after several hundred proving rounds of course.
I don't see where you went off topic myself, what did I miss. Going off topic is my specialty. Thanks again for your input. (oh honey, mcoperator said it was ok for me to get a PM45) I'll keep ya posted.:behindsofa:

wyntrout
01-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm slowly buying my PM45 a part at a time. I bought a 7-shot magazine and sent it to TK for two sets of Kydex mag holders for it -- 2 IWB and 2 OWB. I have to wait for the money tree to regrow a bit. I really picked it bare with the new plasma HDTV, the slightly used PM9 and the gun's cost in ammo... at least... so far. The CC statements closing dates have passed so I can start working on the next month's statement balance, but I'll have to wait until it gets closer to my birthday in June for the PM45N, DLC, of course.:D
Wynn

Bill Sander
01-29-2010, 05:07 AM
The recoil spring is beyond heavy but, it does absorb some of the recoil. I did not run +P as it is alloy and I intend to shoot it a lot.
The recoil is there and firing 90 rounds was too much. I should have stopped at 50. None the less, I was very happy with the performance and did not mind the recoil.
At this point, the slide is very hard to pull back and I don't think I could perform an immediate action drill on it. By the way, the magazine spring is very strong as well. That must be one of the secrets of the 100% feeding.

hsart
01-29-2010, 05:45 AM
The slide will really loosen up after running a few hundred rounds though it. I also cycled it by hand a hundred times after lubing once. Thanks for report.