PDA

View Full Version : Report on my PM 45

Catshooter
01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
I have been lurking here for awhile, registered today to tell y'all a story.

I love my PM45. I've had to work with it a bit to make it work like it should, even had to send it back to Kahr. They paid both ways, and now it works. Very accurate pistol too.

One thing I would change about it however is no flush mag. I want both, the regular mag and a flush mag, like the PM9. I emailed Kahr about it. Nice guy emailed my back quickly and said they have no plans to make any. *sigh*

I tried shortening one of the factory mags but I failed. Stainless steel is sometimes no fun to work with.

Then the other day here I read a post by vom about using a Colt 1911 mag in his. Ooooo. Lights went on. So I grabbed one of mine, a Springfield Armory seven round blued mag and went to work. Cut it, and spot welded the base back on. Took it out and shot it, nope, the base came of right away.

So, back to the shop. Thought about solder, but didn't like the idea. So I broke out the oxy/actelene and just welded the base plate to the mag.

Shot it tonight and it works! Fed great, the only thing it didn't do was lock the slide back as of course the two followers are very different. Here's a pic:

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/Catshooter45/Misc/Kahr001.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/Catshooter45/Misc/Kahr002.jpg

I did make one small alteration to the pistol, I filed a small notch in the frame to clear the toe of the mag base plate. I wanted flush!

Thanks for the inspiration vmo, now this fine piece is a pocket piece at last.

Cat

jwr
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Nicely done!

Vinikahr
01-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Kool Beans!

It was indicate by another poster and then myself that 1911 magazine fits on the Kahrs 45, I tested in the range and the only thing that it do not happen was the slide lock, I used to help me get trough the breaking in period, although I forgot to mention in my report. My CW45 only brings one magazine. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the brotherhood. :) :86:

Catshooter
01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I forget to say that the 1911 mag, after being shortened, holds six rounds! It's not even real cramped, you can't get another in but there's still some room there.

Mmm. Shorter mag, one more round. Maybe Kahr needs/could do some re-enginerring? :)

Cat

vmo
01-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I've been shooting mine with the 1911 mags since I got the PM 45. Some of mine lock back the slide and others don't. I've been kicking around the idea of cutting one and welding the base like yours, but my PM is a BUG to the 1911 on the other hip. The idea was to have the spare mag fit either weapon. Now that you have done the R & D, I see that it could mean an extra round in the BUG initially, well that changes the equation a little. I'll have to root around for a donor mag tube. Great job! Thanks for the update!

Vmo

jeep45238
02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I forget to say that the 1911 mag, after being shortened, holds six rounds! It's not even real cramped, you can't get another in but there's still some room there.

Mmm. Shorter mag, one more round. Maybe Kahr needs/could do some re-enginerring? :)

Cat

All about the number of coils on the mag spring. More coils + thicker wire = stronger spring.

I've recently changed all of my 8 round 1911 mags to 7 rounds. The uncompressed length was 2.5" longer (has no effect on strength), and the number of coils was increased by 4, in addition to being thicker wire. Let's just say it's dang strong. The follower is also taller (skirted), which prevents it from tipping in the tube during feeding and when engaging the slide stop.

I've knocked my 10 round 1911 mags down to 9 with a similar kit.

All feed issues that I used to have due to weak follower designs are gone, and it's amazing how well the gun will feed if you cycle by hand very very slowly.

jwr
02-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I've recently changed all of my 8 round 1911 mags to 7 rounds. The uncompressed length was 2.5" longer (has no effect on strength), and the number of coils was increased by 4, in addition to being thicker wire. Let's just say it's dang strong. The follower is also taller (skirted), which prevents it from tipping in the tube during feeding and when engaging the slide stop.
Jeep, I was recently reading something similar on another forum. I've been using 8 round mags in my Commander for years and suffering from an occasional feed failure.

After reading about some of the problems with 8 round mags/springs I decided to go back to stock 7 rounders. I haven't had a chance to hit the range since making the switch but I'm hoping to next week. I'll be thrilled if that's been my problem all along.

jeep45238
02-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Mine was partly from weaker mag springs (no, loading 7 in my 8 round mag wouldn't effect that, trust me), but primarily from a follower that tilted and would travel laterally in the tube when the last round was fired, and basically bypass the slide stop engagement point.

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines (http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html)

I'm running the upgrade kit in Colt, McCormick, and Kimber tubes, all with wadcutter feed lips (though the Kimber one feeds the smoothest). All except the 3 McCormick and 1 Kimber have welded base plates. They all had the McCormic shooting star follower in them out of the package - and it's a real junker compared to other offerings out there.