PDA

View Full Version : $169 of poly .22LR fun

TriggerMan
01-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Couldn't resist ordering this toy tonight. This will be just for fun shooting and may help me get my girl to the range. The color could win her over and it looks so harmless. Maybe I'll get in touch with my femine side. ;)

If it ever gets carried, it would be a backup to provide cover during a retreat.

$169 plus $11 shipping (plus my FFL gets $20) at CheaperThanDirt. Plain looking version $200+++ at Bud's.

This is a design borrowed from Bereta and has been available in a metal (heavier ) version for a few years.

I present, the TAURUS 22 PLY...in yellow.

TriggerMan
01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X48d84l4IK4

MW surveyor
01-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Well, if you drop it in the grass......it will certainly be easy to find.

kerby9mm
01-29-2012, 10:59 PM
All the feedback the other day about LCR/642 and now you go and get this one. You're putting together a fantasy gun store.

wyntrout
01-29-2012, 11:19 PM
That's what everyone needs... a gun that really looks like a toy... just waiting for a child to "play with it"... or, something a BG will LHAOROTF.

Wynn:)

yqtszhj
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
If it doesn't feed the real cheap stuff real well, try 40 gr. CCI mini mags. That's the only thing that will feed through my beretta but it will eat CCI's all day long.

les strat
01-30-2012, 07:47 AM
I agree with yqtszhj. If it is based on the beretta, the cheap stuff may give you problems. CCI's do run way better in the bobcat .22L.

Longitude Zero
01-30-2012, 07:52 AM
The chepaness of it will wear off quickly when the probable lack of quality arrives.

You get what you pay for. If it turns out to not work well then the privilege to complain is gone.

MW surveyor
01-30-2012, 09:06 AM
For some strange reason, I'm thinking about a small 22 lr (or 32) like the Beretta or this Taurus.

WHY?

TriggerMan
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Well, if you drop it in the grass......it will certainly be easy to find.and in the snow too.

TriggerMan
01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
The cheapness of it will wear off quickly when the probable lack of quality arrives.

You get what you pay for. If it turns out to not work well then the privilege to complain is gone.A Phoenix Arms HP 22 would be cheap ($113), this is inexpensive and has a lifetime warranty. A small gamble.

TriggerMan
01-30-2012, 10:55 AM
That's what everyone needs... a gun that really looks like a toy... just waiting for a child to "play with it"... or, something a BG will LHAOROTF.

Wynn:)Just what I thought. That's why I skipped the pink one.

Tough crowd!

Thunder71
01-30-2012, 11:21 AM
For some strange reason, I'm thinking about a small 22 lr (or 32) like the Beretta or this Taurus.

WHY?

Because you can. ;)

JFootin
01-30-2012, 11:34 AM
That does look like a fun little gun, but I would get it in black with black or nickel slide.

What does anyone think about this SA .22 plinker with 3" and 5" barrels in a complete range kit? Anyone know about these? Are they junk?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2RAHP22ADRMN-1.html

JFootin
01-30-2012, 11:53 AM
A Phoenix Arms HP 22 would be cheap ($113), this is inexpensive and has a lifetime warranty. A small gamble.

Cheapest I've seen is $149. Where did you see this price?

les strat
01-30-2012, 12:17 PM

WHY?

Big difference in price there! I was amazed at what the bobcat 21a's were going for last time I looked. I think I gave $125 for mine new in the late 90's. I think there up towards $300 now. If I am spending that much, I'm bumping up to a Mark III or single 10.

The Ruger SR22 looks interesting as well.

MW surveyor
01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I know about the price difference but I got a $150 gift card burning a hole in my pocket and you guys with the new guns are only making it worse!

TriggerMan
01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
I ordered online Sunday night at 10:30 EST. Received an email 12 hours later that they found my FFL papers in their files and will ship soon. I will get an email with a tracking number once it ships. Only then is my credit card charged.

This AND the Phoenix gun was at Cheaper Than Dirt. The Phoenix gets nearly all bad reviews. The Taurus gets many good reviews from owners. With the tilt up barrel design, less to go wrong. It demands better than average 22 ammo.

TriggerMan
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I know about the price difference but I got a $150 gift card burning a hole in my pocket and you guys with the new guns are only making it worse!Can you ask for a price match? ...or just buy $150 of ammo.

Longitude Zero
01-30-2012, 01:43 PM
A Phoenix Arms HP 22 would be cheap ($113)

Nah Phoenix Arms anything is dangerous, crappy, pot metal junk.

JFootin
01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Nah Phoenix Arms anything is dangerous, crappy, pot metal junk.

Thanks.

KMA
01-30-2012, 05:11 PM
What a surprise that Mr. Jeff Quinn recommends the Taurus or any firearm he reviews :rolleyes:. If you have read one of his reviews you have read all of them.

yqtszhj
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM

WHY?

Because they are FUN!:D

gb6491
01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
That does look like a fun little gun, but I would get it in black with black or nickel slide.

What does anyone think about this SA .22 plinker with 3" and 5" barrels in a complete range kit? Anyone know about these? Are they junk?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2RAHP22ADRMN-1.html

Nah Phoenix Arms anything is dangerous, crappy, pot metal junk.Given that folk's experiences with a certain product can vary considerably, here are my thoughts (and experience) on the Phoenix Arms HP22.
It certainly is made out of zinc alloy (as are many other low end and not so low end .22 plinkers), but they can be surprisingly accurate (certainly good enough to bounce soda cans at twenty yards) and reliable. They are rated for standard velocity .22LR only and have a lifetime warranty to the original owner. Issues, fixes, feedback, and other general info can be found here: http://www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=b7700f14bce47cb21beaa6a4e6177060
My main concern would be about a known proclivity for part of the frame to develop cracks, especially if shot using HV .22LR.
I've had one for a couple of years and have shot it quite a bit (so far without issue); based on my experience/fun with it, I've don't lament the $125 something I paid for it. YMMV:)
One thing, given the initial cost of these and lifetime warranty to the original owner, there is very little resale value to them.
Regards,
Greg
http://i44.tinypic.com/29535af.jpg

TriggerMan
01-30-2012, 09:42 PM

Wynn:)No kids or grandkids to worry about. I figure if I ever need to use on a BG, I'll be sticking it in his ear and it will be too late to do any laughing.

I figure when I use it at the range, it will be a chick magnet, beats bringing a puppy or a Porsche. :001_tt2:

TriggerMan
01-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Noticed that prices on Taurus and on Phoenix Arms changed in last 24 hours. I got lucky for a change.

JFootin
01-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Noticed that prices on Taurus and on Phoenix Arms changed in last 24 hours. I got lucky for a change.

Those yellow ones are cheaper. Must be harder to sell. :p I think I'll go the extra $17 and get an all black one, though.

I like the shape of the grip (I think). And the light weight.

The link said that the trigger is about 7 lb, which isn't too bad. Is that true? I hope it doesn't get worse instead of better over time like so many used Berettas I have checked out at LGSs. Of course, those guns may have NEVER been taken down, cleaned and oiled.

MW surveyor
01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
...or just buy $150 of ammo.

Since I reload (all but the 22), that $150 will yield me about 4,500 rounds of 22 lr, 1,250 rounds of 9/38/357 or 1,100 rounds of 45 ACP. Don't think that I have not thought about this.....but you know what the new gun crave is like. :D

Longitude Zero
01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
What a surprise that Mr. Jeff Quinn recommends the Taurus or any firearm he reviews :rolleyes:. If you have read one of his reviews you have read all of them.

Yeah he never met a firearm he did not like. YEAH RIGHT. He knows who butters his bread. If he writes one or two less than glowing reports he won't get any more guns sent to him. Nuff said.

Truth be told that is the intellectual morality or (lack there of) of almost all gunwriters. The term Saturday Night Specials comes to mind when you discuss Ravens and others of the zinc alloy class.

Tahosrfr
01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
IMO . Spend a little more and get the Ruger SR22. It's a sweet little pinker:)

yqtszhj
01-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Let us know how it shoots and what ammo it likes. for the price it would make a good mini plinker pistol.

wyntrout
01-31-2012, 07:02 PM
No kids or grandkids to worry about. I figure if I ever need to use on a BG, I'll be sticking it in his ear and it will be too late to do any laughing.

I figure when I use it at the range, it will be a chick magnet, beats bringing a puppy or a Porsche. :001_tt2:

I can see it... "Oh, that's so cuu-ute! Kin I shoot it??"

Wynn:D

TriggerMan
01-31-2012, 07:48 PM
IMO . Spend a little more and get the Ruger SR22. It's a sweet little pinker:)The Ruger's price at Bud's for a credit card sale is $328.57. Yes, its a Ruger and comes with two mags, but, I also saw it jamming frequently in a YouTube video by a guy who knows how to shoot.

Nothing about this gun would encourage my GF to want to shoot it. It is also about twice the price of $169 on the 22PLY

If I could sell my GSG 1911-22 or trade even up, I'd try it for myself. On second thought, the safety is opposite everything else I train with; that's a deal breaker.

TriggerMan
01-31-2012, 07:58 PM
I plan to shoot some CCI Mini Mag for break-in. After that, I hope to shoot Winchester 333 and Federal Champion 525 paks

Scoundrel
01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Wish I'd seen this before I bought that Charter .22 Magnum mini-revolver, for sure.

TriggerMan
02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I picked it up today. It came in an equally small box. It was well oiled but I see some manufacturing debris, yellow polymer. The trigger is long and heavy but the general ergonomics are very good. No way to accidentally hit the mag release. A firm and decisive thumb safety, nice sized grip and nicely done exterior. We'lll need to see how it shoots Monday.

TriggerMan
02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Those yellow ones are cheaper. Must be harder to sell. :p I think I'll go the extra $17 and get an all black one, though.

I like the shape of the grip (I think). And the light weight.

The link said that the trigger is about 7 lb, which isn't too bad. Is that true? I hope it doesn't get worse instead of better over time like so many used Berettas I have checked out at LGSs. Of course, those guns may have NEVER been taken down, cleaned and oiled.Out of the box, the trigger seems greater than 7 or 8. My gauge goes up to 8 and I will measure after 50 or 100 rounds

JFootin
02-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Out of the box, the trigger seems greater than 7 or 8. My gauge goes up to 8 and I will measure after 50 or 100 rounds

Thanks. That is a deal breaker for me if the trigger is too stiff. I know when I have checked used Beretta micros in GSs the triggers were very stiff.

TriggerMan
02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Shot it today. 50 rounds of CCI MiniMags. Flawless.

Seems like a good trainer gun before getting a .380 or 9mm pocket pistol.

It felt like I was shooting a real gun an not just a 22 plinker. The trigger is stout but not unlike a SW 642. Both need action jobs. I measured the pull at 8 lbs.

EDIT: It was so much fun I failed to notice I shot a box of 100 MiniMags

TriggerMan
02-08-2012, 01:17 AM
I shot the 22 PLY again Tuesday, using Federal Champion. Flawless. This means I don't need to shoot 7.5 cent CCI rounds but can use the 3 cent variety.

The trigger is getting better and I am learning it. I found I was most accurate shooting one handed! The sights are not the greatest, I need to paint the front one.
The mag is real cheap with sharp lip edges. Hard to load as well.

This gun is plain flat out fun to shoot!! Recomended

Scoundrel
02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Too bad I can't find it for $169 anywhere. CTD only has the black, for $199 now.

TriggerMan
02-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Too bad I can't find it for $169 anywhere. CTD only has the black, for $199 now.
While I was waiting for mine to ship, the price of the yellow models went up to $176. They honored my price, of course. I'm very happy with it.

Scoundrel
02-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I had trouble finding it, but I did eventually locate the yellow one for $176, as you said. I'm gonna get one. They look like fun!

TriggerMan
02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I had trouble finding it, but I did eventually locate the yellow one for $176, as you said. I'm gonna get one. They look like fun!I enjoyed that first range trip so much I failed to notice I shot a box of 100 rounds, not 50.

Scoundrel
02-08-2012, 09:04 PM
I'll see your 100 and raise you 50 more. When mine shows up. :)

Scoundrel
02-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Hey, have you tried a mag loader on that thing yet? I just bought the BabyUpLula in anticipation of the gun arriving. I just tried it on my Ruger MK III and I will say this: The BabyUpLula is NOT universal. Doesn't work with the Ruger magazine.

I have the shake-it-and-stuff-it speed loader already, which works pretty well, but I was hoping.

Update: The box says right on the front that it does not work with Ruger MK III, along with about 9 other models. The Amazon.com description did not mention this, but the very first review did. So I guess the fault is mine.

We'll see how it does on the Taurus mag.

TriggerMan
02-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey, have you tried a mag loader on that thing yet? I just bought the BabyUpLula in anticipation of the gun arriving. I just tried it on my Ruger MK III and I will say this: The BabyUpLula is NOT universal. Doesn't work with the Ruger magazine.

I have the shake-it-and-stuff-it speed loader already, which works pretty well, but I was hoping.

Update: The box says right on the front that it does not work with Ruger MK III, along with about 9 other models. The Amazon.com description did not mention this, but the very first review did. So I guess the fault is mine.

Let me know. It's not that spring tension is so high, it just requires a funny move and there are sharp edges.

Let me know if you see aftermarket mags for sale. I need one more for certain.

QuercusMax
02-11-2012, 08:30 AM

Having been reasonably well satisfied with my UpLula loader for 9mm and 45ACP, a while back I foolishly bought a Baby UpLula. I tried it once, and threw it in my junk drawer. Why?

1. As you mentioned, it doesn't work on quite a few .22 mags, especially those that have a little pin that sticks out on the side for pushing down on the spring. My BuckMark is like that, and the pin makes loading go really fast without any extra device.

2. The springs in most (all?) .22 mags are so weak that it takes very little force to load them, thus negating the value of a loader IMO. The Baby does work on the mags for my Beretta 87T, but even though those mags lack the side pin, they are still really easy to load compared to 9mm or 45ACP mags.

3. It's just one more thing that I have to keep track of, bring along, etc. Simple is better.

The Baby will work on some larger calibers like 32ACP, but I shoot those so infrequently that it is not an issue. Skip the Baby.

JFootin
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Use gloves when loading those .22 mags.

Scoundrel
02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I guess I should have tried it without the loader first, but I bought the LULA for the .223 magazines and it worked so well that I figured them guys knew their stuff. The Ruger mag, even with the side pin, is painful to load, though as JFootin says, a glove would work wonders for that. Just one glove. The other hand needs to be able to fiddle with those teeny little rounds.

We'll see when it arrives, I guess. Since I bought it direct from Amazon, not a marketplace seller, I'll be able to return it if needed. Since I have Prime, I didn't pay shipping on it and won't pay to ship it back either.

TriggerMan
02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
I guess I should have tried it without the loader first, but I bought the LULA for the .223 magazines and it worked so well that I figured them guys knew their stuff. The Ruger mag, even with the side pin, is painful to load, though as JFootin says, a glove would work wonders for that. Just one glove. The other hand needs to be able to fiddle with those teeny little rounds.

We'll see when it arrives, I guess. Since I bought it direct from Amazon, not a marketplace seller, I'll be able to return it if needed. Since I have Prime, I didn't pay shipping on it and won't pay to ship it back either.Good to know about Amazon, thanks

Scoundrel
02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Got mine today and took it to the range. Full report here: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=134469#post134469

Summary: I had some ammo issues, but figured out what it likes to eat and had a lot of fun with it.

The BabyUpLuLa loader is far superior to hand loading the rounds, but needs a little fine tuning.

I see what you mean about the magazines. I wondered why you'd ask me where to find magazines, but having searched for them myself, I get it now.

I scored one ProMag unit on eBay this evening (hope it wasn't you I yanked the carpet out from under at the last second). I put in an order for two more on the ProMag website. I've called their bluff, and we will now see if they really have any for sale. Also, I will call Taurus tomorrow and find out if they have any for direct sale.

TriggerMan
02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Got mine today and took it to the range. Full report here: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=134469#post134469

Summary: I had some ammo issues, but figured out what it likes to eat and had a lot of fun with it.

The BabyUpLuLa loader is far superior to hand loading the rounds, but needs a little fine tuning.

I see what you mean about the magazines. I wondered why you'd ask me where to find magazines, but having searched for them myself, I get it now.

I scored one ProMag unit on eBay this evening (hope it wasn't you I yanked the carpet out from under at the last second). I put in an order for two more on the ProMag website. I've called their bluff, and we will now see if they really have any for sale. Also, I will call Taurus tomorrow and find out if they have any for direct sale.I may be repeating myself (old age at 62) but I shot 100 MinMags to start, what I shot next, I'm no longer sure. I think I reported it as Federal Champion but it may be Winchester is a 333 box as pictured on page 4 here.

I'll keep watching on your luck with the mags

Scoundrel
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
I just spoke with someone at ProMag. He said they have about 500 of these magazines left: https://www.promagindustries.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAU%2009
Note that these do not have the extended plastic feet for your pinky finger.

So, why then are all of the distributors out of stock? I didn't ask, but I expect it's something like this:

ProMag Industries is probably not in a hurry to sell out, and has stopped actively supplying vendors with them because they want to be the last place to actually have any of them in stock for warranty issues, or some other reason like that.

The vendors out there like Midway, CTD, etc. probably wait until they have a few of these on back order until they reach out to ProMag to get them.

I also called Taurus. They're back-ordered there, too. They've been on back order for about a month, and they expect to have some more in "a few weeks" (I've heard that one before).

I told her I was concerned about this because it seems like nobody has PT-22 magazines, and I was concerned that I'd bought a gun that I couldn't get parts for. She got that annoyed tone of voice, like I was going to be one of those difficult customers after that.

So if you want more mags for this gun, I recommend getting them from ProMag's site while they still have some.

Scoundrel
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
The first ProMag (from eBay) arrived yesterday. It was brand new. I found it easier to load by hand (no difference with the LULA, still easy). The lack of the pinky rest makes the gun's profile smaller. Doesn't bother me, I'm used to two fingers on my CM9.

Just got a confirmation e-mail from ProMag that they are shipping my order for two more. Man, those guys are slow. Ordered on 2/14. Shipped on 2/22.

TriggerMan
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
The first ProMag (from eBay) arrived yesterday. It was brand new. I found it easier to load by hand (no difference with the LULA, still easy). The lack of the pinky rest makes the gun's profile smaller. Doesn't bother me, I'm used to two fingers on my CM9.

Just got a confirmation e-mail from ProMag that they are shipping my order for two more. Man, those guys are slow. Ordered on 2/14. Shipped on 2/22.
Ordered two, thanks for the pics.

WI carrier
02-27-2012, 07:19 AM
actually it sounds like an interesting little piece, for a survival kit, last ditch backup, or just a cheap fun gun. i'll be looking at one:typing:

Scoundrel
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Bad news. Took the magazines to the range (two from ProMag and a third that I bought on eBay that looks exactly the same but has no ProMag markings on it).

All three magazines failed to feed almost every single round. There were also a lot of stovepipes.

Looking at the magazines, the lips are shaped very differently than the Taurus one, and the follower is at a mush steeper angle, which probably explains why the rounds seemed to get stuck at the top of the chamber.

I don't think there's any way to salvage them without heavily modifying and possibly destroying the magazines.

I've called ProMag once. The techs were at lunch. I'll be calling again in about a half hour. I'm going to try to talk them into a refund on the two. If that doesn't fly, I'll sell all three on eBay with a note that these do not work in the 22PLY, they are for the older PT-22 only.

Triggerman, I sincerely hope you have better results, but you might be better off trying to return them without having even opened the packaging.

Scoundrel
02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Update: ProMag tech support confirmed that they do not make anything for the 22PLY, and that the PT-22 mags don't work, and they are willing to refund my purchase price (not sure about shipping but that's not important). They sent me to customer service, who gave me an RMA number.

TriggerMan
02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Update: ProMag tech support confirmed that they do not make anything for the 22PLY, and that the PT-22 mags don't work, and they are willing to refund my purchase price (not sure about shipping but that's not important). They sent me to customer service, who gave me an RMA number.Thanks, I caught them within hours of shipping the two mags I ordered. I was able to cancel by VM and email last night. I confirmed it with a phone call this morning. Also pointed out "their" 800 number is answered by Farmers Insurance.

Thanks for the heads up.

Scoundrel
02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks, I caught them within hours of shipping the two mags I ordered. I was able to cancel by VM and email last night. I confirmed it with a phone call this morning. Also pointed out "their" 800 number is answered by Farmers Insurance.

Thanks for the heads up.

I also gave them a heads-up on the Farmers Insurance thing. I bet Farmers is getting pretty tired of it. :)

You're welcome. Glad you got it canceled proactively and didn't lose any shipping money.

I found a couple of brand new Taurus magazines on eBay, and I am taking another risk to find out if they're the right ones. If this doesn't work, I'll sit tight with a single magazine until Taurus catches up.

Scoundrel
03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Update: I bought two Taurus brand mags on eBay. Took them to the range today and tested with Federal bulk pack ammo. I fired 100 rounds through two magazines. I had one feed failure, which was resolved when I smacked the magazine with the heel of my weak hand and the slide returned to battery on its own. All other shots worked fine. I suspect I did not seat the magazine properly. Can't remember which shot it was.

The pinky rest is shorter and narrower than the one that came with the 22PLY and I found myself sliding my pinky under the magazine instead of having 1/2 pinky resting on it. I may decide to grind down the front of the pinky rest on these to make them flat in front.

The packaging says "Taurus PT-22 Magazine", "Model PT22B-M", "Order #5-11221", "Caliber .22 LR". On the back, the UPC code is "7 25327 51221 9".

Happy hunting!