PDA

View Full Version : Laser sights for SD or no?

jwr
01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I've seen this discussed on several sites and it sometimes degrades into ugliness because of strong opinions on both sides, but I thought it would be interesting to hear what you folks think.

What is your opinion regarding laser sights on a self defense weapon?

I don't have a strong opinion either way. I have laser sights on one handgun and on a Walther air gun that I sometimes use for practice.

I've noticed a few things in regards to how I shoot with a laser:

First, I can get on target very quickly from a draw and hit COM before I have the gun raised to eye level--that's the good part.

Second, it's easy to get lazy in my stance and not stay focused on the front sight--something that I could see becoming a bad habit for me.

And third, I think they're a great tool for teaching good trigger techniques while dry-firing. If you're snatching or grabbing the trigger it's *very* apparent when watching the laser on the target.

These are just my thoughts. I don't have a laser on any of my regular carry weapons but have thought about getting one.

bossbird
01-29-2010, 09:59 PM
I have the crimson trace laser on all my handguns if one is available. I need all the help I can get to hit whatever target I am shooting at. I do switch it off from time to time when at the range.

Smoke Eater
01-30-2010, 07:21 AM
they can be very helpful(IMO) when shooting from strange angles, on you back, seated in a car ect..... when you cant get the firearm up to align the sights it is a great tool!

ripley16
01-30-2010, 08:06 AM
they can be very helpful(IMO) when shooting from strange angles, on you back, seated in a car ect..... when you cant get the firearm up to align the sights it is a great tool!

I agree with this. Maybe the most usefull aspect is the ability to get off an unaimed shot very accurately.

The only downside I see is that a laser may not be as good for a longer shot.

In the future I believe we will see lasers integrated right into the pistol.

Price
01-30-2010, 09:59 AM
For a carry gun I think they are great, you can make an accurate shot from any angle and are likely to be able to do so qucker and under a more stressful set of circumstances than without them. Guns are already beginning to be manufactured with lasers on them, this is the first Ive seen but there may be others. Shot Show 2010 - Smith & Wesson (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&content=754501)

recoilguy
01-30-2010, 10:28 AM
I have been chastised by the "old school" hard core lasers are bad folks plenty. I still think my laser is very useful and an excellent tool. I feel much more confident with it on my weapon but still practice regularily with it off, so in case the battery is dead at "go time" or what ever I still can finish what was started.

Anything thats helps the person who has it perform better is a good thing.

RCG

Bawanna
01-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I think they are a great training aid when taking new shooters to the range. Especially kids who may not grasp the sight picture concept. I have them not pay attention to the laser but focus on the sights. The observer can tell what the shooter is doing easily. I don't have lasers on any carry guns but as stated previously they would make a great backup system in awkward situations. Mostly I make grips as a hobby and haven't figured out how to put laser in my grips:rolleyes:

zena
01-30-2010, 04:33 PM
No laser sights but I have thought I might like some on my PM9. Because any SD shooting is up close, personal and possibly awkward, I've thought laser sights might be beneficial and give me another edge if a situation has gone that far south. Interested in others opinions.:84:

jeep45238
01-30-2010, 09:01 PM
They're excellent for training on learning WHAT you're doing wrong when shooting.

They are a huge hinderence and liability if you're using it as your primary sighting system. They're excellent as a secondary system.

Long story short: if you're using your irons, laser sights certainly can't hurt. If you won't use your irons, banking everything on a little red dot with a ton of hormones raging and stress flying, and that the laser unit and batteries will not fail, is just asking for issues.

Ryder
02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I agree with Jeep, i can see how lasers could be a great training aid, and a great benifit to someone who is not a newby to shooting. What would bother me is a new person to the shooting world, becoming totally dependant on the laser and not learning the proper site picture and how to obtain it.

deadhead1971
02-09-2010, 06:29 AM
PM9 with LG 437 and pearce grip on 6-shot magazine.

I got it for fun. :) It can easily be removed. The laser piece is divided into two parts. One side snaps on the trigger guard. The other piece goes on the other side and 2 hex screws hold them together. It's a tight fit.

I pocket carry it in a #4 Blackhawk nylon holster.

In dark areas, the red dot is very bright and would be a deterrent to a BG.

In bright sunlight, the red dot is harder to see but I can see it out to about 100 feet.

N.D.
02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
PM9 with LG 437 and pearce grip on 6-shot magazine.

I got it for fun. :) It can easily be removed. The laser piece is divided into two parts. One side snaps on the trigger guard. The other piece goes on the other side and 2 hex screws hold them together. It's a tight fit.

I pocket carry it in a #4 Blackhawk nylon holster.

In dark areas, the red dot is very bright and would be a deterrent to a BG.

In bright sunlight, the red dot is harder to see but I can see it out to about 100 feet.

Been thinking of getting 1 for my P45.

Anyone know who has the best price on the one that fits the P 45?

N.D.