PDA

View Full Version : Are +P loads really worth it?

Rodenmg
01-31-2012, 02:31 AM
Truth is I'm old and not very strong. I'm finding the +P loads I've tried a real handfull to shoot accurately and quickly in the little CW9. Is the extra 100 fps really worth all the extra recoil? I'm thinking that for me, being able to rip off multiple shots accurately is a greater advantage.

ripley16
01-31-2012, 05:12 AM
IMHO, the short answer is "No", it isn't worth the price of excess recoil in your case. The extra velocity is only useful if you can shoot it as well as standard. Very hot rounds have a place in some situations, and allow the 9mm to accomplish some tasks, such as shooting through a car windshield as required by LE agencies. Citizens looking to protect themselves usually do not need such rounds, expecially if it ruins your shooting ability or accuracy.

muggsy
01-31-2012, 05:33 AM
In a short barreled gun like a CM9/Pm9 there is no real advantage to +P loads. Where these loads perform best is in guns like the Beretta 92FS service pistol. IMHO, your are trading accuracy for muzzle blast and muzzle flash in a short barrelled gun. I doubt seriously whether a person shot with either round would notice any real difference and a steady diet of +P will accelerate wear of the gun regardless of the guns +P rating.

hpg
01-31-2012, 06:31 AM
I agree, just stay with standard velocity and you'll be fine....hpg

Rodenmg
01-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Yea, I was bit surprised when I ran the Gold Dot 124 SB +Ps through it. It kicked harder than my 1911 shooting 230 ball and I'd have to regrip after every couple of rounds. I think I'll stick to the Hornady 115 CDs for this gun. They shoot really sweet in it.

sas PM9
01-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Yea, I was bit surprised when I ran the Gold Dot 124 SB +Ps through it. It kicked harder than my 1911 shooting 230 ball and I'd have to regrip after every couple of rounds. I think I'll stick to the Hornady 115 CDs for this gun. They shoot really sweet in it.

R:

You might also try some different versions of 147g ammo.
The heavier bullets have more of a push than a snap to me.
Very reminiscent of .45 shooting SP 230g.
HTH.

-steve

LaP
01-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Use what works for YOU. If you can hit your target with multiple standard rounds, stick with it.
Someone once said: "You can't miss fast enough."

Bawanna
01-31-2012, 09:49 AM
+P is also harder on the gun in the wear and abuse department. The Kahr is designed to run it but that doesn't mean we need to use it.

I've never used +P in any of mine. If you want to go faster get a bigger bike.

Rodenmg
01-31-2012, 09:54 AM
R:

You might also try some different versions of 147g ammo.
The heavier bullets have more of a push than a snap to me.
Very reminiscent of .45 shooting SP 230g.
HTH.

-steve

I've been wanting to try some 147s for that very reason.

Jeff00042
01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
"If you want to go faster get a bigger bike." Bawanna: Great comment! Thanks for making my day.

Bawanna
01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
"If you want to go faster get a bigger bike." Bawanna: Great comment! Thanks for making my day.

Mission accomplished. I can mark this day off as not a total loss. Thank you for making my day as well.

crazymailman
01-31-2012, 02:36 PM

I've chosen to stick with standard pressure 124gr because of this also. Since the break-in,when I learned how to grip the PM, I had not had a single premature slide lock until I tried rapid fire strings of both GD and HST 124+p. Haven't had one since:D

Bill K
01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
I chose carry with 124 +P loads to save money. It convinces me that I've no SD need for a new gun in a larger caliber. :) [but half true]

Bawanna
01-31-2012, 02:49 PM
I chose carry with 124 +P loads to save money. It convinces me that I've no SD need for a new gun in a larger caliber. :) [but half true]

Personally I'd rather have guns than money. Only thing I need money for is to buy guns so it works out ok except I don't have enough money or enough guns. It's a long sad story. A vicious circle if you will.

wyntrout
01-31-2012, 02:56 PM
I use +P in my P380N and my PM9N... Buffalo Bore 90-gr JHP +P in the first and Speer 124-gr +P Gold Dots, Short Barrel in the latter.

I only use "standard pressure" 165-gr Gold Dots in my P40 and standard 230-gr ammo in my .45's... Gold Dot Short Barrel in the PM45. The .40 S&W GD SB's only come in 180-gr, so I just use the Duty GD's in 165-gr... they make nearly 500 ft-lbs muzzle energy and go the furthest distance of the GD's.

Wynn:)

ltxi
01-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Use what works for YOU. If you can hit your target with multiple standard rounds, stick with it.
Someone once said: "You can't miss fast enough."

x2!

joshh
01-31-2012, 06:28 PM
I've been wanting to try some 147s for that very reason.

i prefer the 147gr for defensive carry. their performance was best from my pm9. i never would have tried them but a winchester rep recommended them for the pm9 because of the shorter barrel. after some homemade tests i was sold on what they could do... like i always say, homemade tests = fun

Barth
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
We live in fortunate times where ammo has advanced to the
point of being very effective without being high powered loads.
I just posted earlier today on a different forum where
folks were deep in the midst caliber wars.

My way of thinking is;
with modern high tech bullets that expand a low velocities,
paired with fast burn, low flash, gunpowder - the caliber wars are over.
And we all won.

9/357/38/40/45 standard, +P, +P+ it's all good.
I think finding a platform and caliber/pressure we are proficient with
for self defense is the new focus of the day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everything is relative.
My G27 can shoot 9/357/40. And I'm experimenting with different
calibers and pressure to find that sweet spot for me.
I'm looking for that envelope/balance of control and power.
But the G27, although a sub-compact, can run some really potent ammo.
And it's no micro pocket pistol.

Rodenmg
02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
I really appreciate all the intelligent responses to my question. It's so nice to NOT hear "Dude, such and such rocks and if you don't use it you suck!". :)

michpatriot
03-02-2012, 09:05 PM
You could try 147 grain Gold Dots they shoot nice and still expand relitively well. Maybe not as much as a 124+p but Ive seen videos of 147 Gold Dots out of a Glock 26 (a short barrel) and they expanded well through denim into milk jugs, same test with 124 gold dots showed a little more expansion and a little less penetration if I remember right. I use 124+p GDs but they really POP and I could see arguments for quicker follow up shots using standard pressure rounds...

hotpig
03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
We live in fortunate times where ammo has advanced to the
point of being very effective without being high powered loads.
I just posted earlier today on a different forum where
folks were deep in the midst caliber wars.

My way of thinking is;
with modern high tech bullets that expand a low velocities,
paired with fast burn, low flash, gunpowder - the caliber wars are over.
And we all won.

9/357/38/40/45 standard, +P, +P+ it's all good.
I think finding a platform and caliber/pressure we are proficient with
for self defense is the new focus of the day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best post of the day.

muggsy
03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I really appreciate all the intelligent responses to my question. It's so nice to NOT hear "Dude, such and such rocks and if you don't use it you suck!". :)

Dude, you'll never hear any of that from us. :)

Bill K
03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Nothing wrong with shooting standard pressure assuming they feed and shoot reliably. Black Hills makes a nice 115 grain EXP round. EXP stands for "extra pressure". It is a little hoter than standard pressure 115s.

carkarrier
03-09-2012, 06:47 PM
+P is also harder on the gun in the wear and abuse department. The Kahr is designed to run it but that doesn't mean we need to use it.

I've never used +P in any of mine. If you want to go faster get a bigger bike.
Surprise, Surprise, I always figured you were a +P++++++ guy. LOL