PDA

View Full Version : MK9 failure to chamber

LonghornFan
01-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Hey fellas. This is my first forum post, ever.

I recently purchased an mk9 and I love the ergonomics of the gun and it's a pleasure to shoot. Although I haven't carried it yet (I want to be 100% confident in it's ability to fire when necessary) I love the concealability of the gun and I really want to make it work out.

I've been to the range four times and have fired about 100 rounds each trip. The problem is I'm getting 2 or 3 failures to chamber per trip. They have happened with both magazines and I'm trying to really pay attention to my grip in order to keep from limp wristing the gun. I realize that Kahr states there is a 200 round break in period,but since I've doubled that and am still encountering the same issues I wondered if anyone else had similar problems. I haven't called Kahr yet, but depending on the responses I recieve here that will be my next move.

Thanks for your input. I look forward to hearing from y'all.

hsart
01-31-2010, 03:40 AM
It could be hand fatigue if it happens in the last 50 you fire. Has happened to me a few times and all it takes is a hand recycle or to lock back the slide and then release with the slide release button to chamber a round.

500KV
01-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Welcome aboard LF.
You didn't say what kind of ammo. you were using.
In my experience, Kahrs hate light loads. Some simply won't cycle them properly. I'd try some good S/D loads if you haven't already.

I purposely loaded some light rounds and my CW45 stumbled continuously on them but is 100% with hotter S/D ammo.

This may or may not be a contributing factor in your case. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Good luck.

jocko
01-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Hey fellas. This is my first forum post, ever.

I recently purchased an mk9 and I love the ergonomics of the gun and it's a pleasure to shoot. Although I haven't carried it yet (I want to be 100% confident in it's ability to fire when necessary) I love the concealability of the gun and I really want to make it work out.

I've been to the range four times and have fired about 100 rounds each trip. The problem is I'm getting 2 or 3 failures to chamber per trip. They have happened with both magazines and I'm trying to really pay attention to my grip in order to keep from limp wristing the gun. I realize that Kahr states there is a 200 round break in period,but since I've doubled that and am still encountering the same issues I wondered if anyone else had similar problems. I haven't called Kahr yet, but depending on the responses I recieve here that will be my next move.

Thanks for your input. I look forward to hearing from y'all.

PM sentj...

jggonzalez
01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
I have an MK9 that is very reliable. I had some FTFs in the first 300 to 400 rounds, but after that it smoothed out. Now its 100% reliable for me with anything I put in it (mostly Blazer and WWB because its cheap). When my friend tried it, he got about 1 jam every magazine. These small pistols are sensitive to limp-wristing.

LonghornFan
01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I've been shooting WWB and Federal 115 gr FMJ and the ftf have occurred with both. They've occured sporadically during my range sessions, usually around 30 or 40 rounds and then again around 70 or 80. I spoke to one of the guys at the range and he examined my gun after the session. He didn't notice anything unusual and thought that since they problems were happening only 2 or 3 times a session it may not be me and could in fact be the gun. Anyway, I'm relatively new to shooting a pistol so I'm going to give it another try this week with a lot of attention on my form in an attempt to eliminate any user errors.

I appreciate your input and I'll let you know how it goes.

jeep45238
01-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Try shooting the gun strong handed only, and repeat weak handed only. Then try two handed and see if you're getting the same issues.

The goal is to see if your grip is causing the problems, which I strongly suspect. You're probably putting strong pressure on the slide stop if you're right handed using a modern handgun combat grip:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGcombatg_100206A.jpg
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGcombatg_100206D.jpg
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGcombatg_100206E.jpg
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGcombatg_100206F.jpg
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGcombatg_100206G.jpg

Many beginners who use this grip, especially when they're completely new to handguns, will wind up crushing their left hand palm and thumbs against the frame and slide stop area, preventing it's function (very true if you're a right hander). Try using this grip, with your thumbs completely off the gun. This will result in the gun recoiling straight up and down, and eliminating horizontal motion, making the gun drive itself back onto target. It will generally reduce or eliminate slides sporadically locking back, and failure to feeds, in addition to being a more efficient and effective grip on the gun.

Remember semi auto pistols function by keeping the frame as stable as possible, and keeping the slide working as fast as possible. A good gun/mag/ammo combination will reliably feed even when the slide is moving slow, but when the slide is moving fast a lot of those issues go away.

In-Yo-Grill
02-01-2010, 07:02 AM
I personally think it's harder to limp-wrist the MK9 since it is a heavier gun. I'd give it another couple hundred rounds being sure to watch your grip and technique. Take it slow and fire each round like it's your first one. Don't be in a hurry.

If the problem continues then I'd say it needs to be looked at.

LonghornFan
02-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I emailed Kahr service about a week and a half ago and instead of an email response I got a phone call from Ian. I was happy to hear from him because it sounds like he's helped a lot of people on this forum. After discussing my issues he agreed to send me a new recoil assembly and two new followers for my magazines. I got them today so I'm going to get to the range later this week to test everything out. Hopefully my problems will be gone. I'll update everyone this weekend.

In-Yo-Grill
02-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Glad to hear they responded to you quickly and hopefully this will take care of the issues. Let us know how the next range report goes.

LonghornFan
02-24-2010, 03:48 PM
As I noted previously, Ian at Kahr sent me a new recoil assembly in an attempt to remedy the failure to chamber problems I had. I installed it and finally got to the range today. Fired 100 Federal 115 fmj and 14 speer gold dot's (it's all I had on me). Everything ran flawlessly. I need to get to the range 3 or 4 more times before I feel confident enough to carry the MK9 everyday, but things are definately on the right track now.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll keep you updated on the range sessions.

jocko
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
As I noted previously, Ian at Kahr sent me a new recoil assembly in an attempt to remedy the failure to chamber problems I had. I installed it and finally got to the range today. Fired 100 Federal 115 fmj and 14 speer gold dot's (it's all I had on me). Everything ran flawlessly. I need to get to the range 3 or 4 more times before I feel confident enough to carry the MK9 everyday, but things are definately on the right track now.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll keep you updated on the range sessions.

you glad it is working Ok, maybe, just maybe you and the gun have now mated up better also.

PM sent.

LonghornFan
02-24-2010, 04:00 PM
and yes, it's certainly possible the gun and I are working better together. During the gun's downtime I worked on hand position and dry firing with snap caps and I think it helped. I really focused on my grip today and things are coming around.

jocko
02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I sometimes always felt that when kahr was saying 200 round break in, that was also geared to the shooter also. Small light guns require alittle different approach than the bigger heavier models. Some by weight and size alone tend to eliminaite some issues that a small lighweight gun might be more prone to show.
Patience is "golden"..

RichN
07-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Part of it is the break in period. Part of it is also lubrication. I lubricated everything that made since to lubrcate with Militec at about 150 rounds. I cleaned and treated again at about 300 rounds. Since then I have fired close to 1,000 rounds over a 6 month period without cleaning or additional lubrication and have not had any failures to feed or eject. Here is the website for Miletec.

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil (http://www.militec1.com/)