PDA

View Full Version : New Toy - SR22

Tinman507
02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
In an effort to get my bride and my daughter out shooting, I went looking for a nice .22lr plinker. Lots of research and folding different guns. Had my bride hold a few. The ones that fit her hand were too heavy or top heavy.
Here's what I came up with:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/Photo1.jpghttp://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/Photo2.jpg

Bawanna
02-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Happy new gun to you tinman or is it happy new gun to your top heavy bride?

Let us know how she runs. A few have been talking about that very model. Your the absolute first person I know to bring one home.

Good wishes. Hope it works great and your top heavy bride gets along fine with it.

dirtkicker
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
That's just not right I don't care what you say.

Do please let us know how you like the SR22. I for one am really interested in getting one basically for the same reason as you. Plinking and getting my daughters shooting.

My local shop is listing for around $310.

krmgator
02-03-2012, 08:18 PM
I am saving my money for one. Range report as soon as you can please.

Happy shooting!

cesande
02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
curious if you tried the Walther P22 and if so why it did not pass the tests?

Bawanna
02-03-2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.zootpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/huge_boobs.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I wanted to ask but didn't want to sound like a stalker or a Jocko ya know. You didn't lie that time for sure. She's definitely slightly top heavy.
Must really be somethin in a bikini.

rholmes69
02-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Yes, range report please!

chrish
02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
did he same recently, to get the fam out shooting with me. i went the walther route and could not be happier. the ruger didnt exist then. i picked up the Q version of the p22 and its a dream to shoot. fairly reliable. pretty accurate. i love it. its no ruger mark or other bull barrel target pistol mind you. but the advantage is it operates more like a normal semi auto with the exception of the mag release. i am actually liking the mag release better than the traditional button and a PPQ is now on my short list as a result.

so, i definitely recommend the p22 get a look if you want a .22 plinker. its more fun than a barrel of 9MMs.

JFootin
02-03-2012, 11:16 PM

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Misc/2012-01-31-humor-obama.jpg

Tinman507
02-04-2012, 03:41 AM
curious if you tried the Walther P22 and if so why it did not pass the tests?

I tried the Walther and found it to be just ok in my hand. Nothing special. My wife held it and liked the feel if it and the balance. I read a lot about the Walther and was concerned about the quality and the nebulous "white metal" slide. I also wanted to buy a US made piece.

My LGS didn't have the Ruger in stock. I did a lot of online research and looked at Hickock45's Youtube vid of his test fire. The Ruger looked like it would fit the bill perfectly. Shopped it pretty hard online and found it for $300 just about everywhere.

I'm not usually the first on my block with the newest thing. I still have Windows XP. So this was a gamble albeit not a huge gamble.

Going to clean her up and take her shooting today. Will post a range report later on.

FWNRG7xBPPk

MW surveyor
02-04-2012, 05:55 AM
Good luck with the SR22 and get yourself at least the same amount of ammo that Hicock45 has. You'll probably need it.

Tinman507
02-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Thanks!
Part of the motivation for this was to save money on ammo, but I suspect things have a way of evening out. Pay less, shoot more. Hmmm. the other motivation was to introduce my wife & daughter to shooting.

Actually I'd be way cool with having them both really get into it. I can't always be there in dicey situations.

They're starting to understand the concept of self-protection. Just crossing that threshold to actually being able to pull a weapon and pull the trigger is a real hurdle for my wife. My daughter is much more receptive to the concept.

So, we'll start with baby steps and the SR22 and hopefully move up to bigger and better things.

We'll see...

MW surveyor
02-04-2012, 06:17 AM
I think that baby steps are the way to go when just starting out, especially with a new shooter. Not much bang in the 22, very little recoil. Plus, I think that the SR22 is big enough to have a decent sight radius.

Started my daughters on a single action 22 and worked up as they grew more proficient...and wanted to. Don't push something bigger at this point. Believe it or not, they'll ask when they are ready.

Just make sure that they read, understand and follow the four safety rules, before you take them to the range!

Tinman507
02-04-2012, 06:23 AM
For sure on the safety rules. I learned as a scout when I was 11. Shooting instructor was a retired Marine Corps DI. Gawd he scared hell out of a bunch of young kids. But I guarantee I have never compromised any of the rules.

I'm 99% certain the same approach won't work with females. My wife will just quit and my daughter gets all defiant. I can intimidate my 24 yo son, but my baby girl gets all in my face. Too much like her daddy I am afraid.

QuercusMax
02-04-2012, 06:39 AM
I have a Browning BuckMark Camper with URX grips and fiber optic front sight, and I have to say that I enjoy shooting it more than anything else at the moment. It feels great in the hand, I love the trigger, it's extremely accurate, very easy to load, low recoil, the slide is easy to rack, and when you are all done it's the easiest pistol to clean of any I have seen.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/images-by-title-name/Buck-Mark-Stainless-Camper-MID-051442-m.jpg

Tinman507
02-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Just got back from the club. Took my bride along to try out the SR22.

Folks were already in there set up at the 50 ft line so that's where we shot from. Not an ideal situation for target shooting for me but was mostly looking to function check the gun and let my wife try some shooting.

Shot all Federal bulk. Through 12 magazine loads had 4 fail to fires. Even after restriking they didn't go off. Racked and tried again. Had several light loads that ejected but didn't cycle the slide far enough to load the next round.

Gun does well with almost no noticeable recoil. Sights are mostly on but hard to know for certain at that range. We were all on the paper (8.5" x 11").

I think after a good cleaning and another few trips this one will be loads of fun.

My wife had only ever shot a .22 6 shooter once before. Went through all the safety rules and correct stance, grip, sight picture, etc.

Other shooters were more than gracious and assisted.

She did very well and actually enjoyed it

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/02-04-12range002.jpg

Then our range neighbor asked if she'd like to try a .45. She said she would. It was a Tanfoglio Witness. She shot that and proclaimed that she liked it.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/02-04-12range005.jpg

She didn't like my CM9 very much. Said it was too hard to control and she doesn't care for the feel in her hand.

All in all a really awesome day at the range.
Tomorrow I may take my 20 yo daughter up to shoot the SR22.

MW surveyor
02-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Way to go and hope that your wife will continue to shoot with you (not at you). Be careful of the 45s, they are habit forming. As you know, DA can be hard to master if you've only shot SA type pistols. Work with her on the Kahr or you can get her a revolver, but make sure she picks it out.

Good luck with the daughter if you go tomorrow.

Tinman507
02-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks!!

Today was a good day. To further butter things up, Got Chicken Marsala and Pasta Oglio e Olio and a salad under way for dinner. Nice bottle of Chardonay.

Was a real blast watching her face shooting. :roll:

1radman
02-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks!
Part of the motivation for this was to save money on ammo, but I suspect things have a way of evening out. Pay less, shoot more. Hmmm. the other motivation was to introduce my wife & daughter to shooting.

Actually I'd be way cool with having them both really get into it. I can't always be there in dicey situations.

They're starting to understand the concept of self-protection. Just crossing that threshold to actually being able to pull a weapon and pull the trigger is a real hurdle for my wife. My daughter is much more receptive to the concept.

So, we'll start with baby steps and the SR22 and hopefully move up to bigger and better things.

We'll see...
I hear ya brother. I've actually gotten my wife about ready to get her carry permit. She's fairly good with her Taurus 32 H&R magnum ultralite revolver. My 21 year old daughter has a little farther to go. They both like my High Sandard Sentinel 22lr revolver. The 9mm (Kahr, Glock and Walther) are next but still scare em both.
BTW, How easy does the slide rack on the Ruger? The Walther P22 slide is real easy for ladies and kids. I'd like to get them started on a semi auto soon.
And another thing...Did you get to shoot the Witness? I've been Tanfaglio Witness curious for a while. Good ergonomics, easy caliber conversions and inverted slide riding inside the frame design ala CZ.

Tinman507
02-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I hear ya brother. I've actually gotten my wife about ready to get her carry permit. She's fairly good with her Taurus 32 H&R magnum ultralite revolver. My 21 year old daughter has a little farther to go. They both like my High Sandard Sentinel 22lr revolver. The 9mm (Kahr, Glock and Walther) are next but still scare em both.
BTW, How easy does the slide rack on the Ruger? The Walther P22 slide is real easy for ladies and kids. I'd like to get them started on a semi auto soon.
And another thing...Did you get to shoot the Witness? I've been Tanfaglio Witness curious for a while. Good ergonomics, easy caliber conversions and inverted slide riding inside the frame design ala CZ.

The SR22 slide is a total piece of cake to rack. This is a really sweet shooter. Had several range neighbors ask to shoot it. Much more experience than I and both loved it. It's smooth.

That's how we got to shoot the Tanfoglio Witness. Reciprocity.
GAWD what a nice weapon. Totally blew me away. So smooth. Felt perfect in the hand. Recoil was nowhere near what I thought it would be and a trigger from the Gods. I have been lusting after a 1911 but now now so much. I may really need to take a close look at this work of art.

1radman
02-04-2012, 06:38 PM
The SR22 slide is a total piece of cake to rack. This is a really sweet shooter. Had several range neighbors ask to shoot it. Much more experience than I and both loved it. It's smooth.

That's how we got to shoot the Tanfoglio Witness. Reciprocity.
GAWD what a nice weapon. Totally blew me away. So smooth. Felt perfect in the hand. Recoil was nowhere near what I thought it would be and a trigger from the Gods. I have been lusting after a 1911 but now now so much. I may really need to take a close look at this work of art.
That's great to hear on both the Ruger and Witness. I've come close to buying a Ruger twice and as I said have been eyeballin' the Witness.
Thanks for the first hand info.

Tinman507
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Well, my new toy is on it's way back to the mothership in Arizona.
It's developed a wear mark on the slide. Started at about 1/8" and grew to about 3/8" on the second range trip. Appears the slide release may be rubbing on recoil, but not certain.

Contacted Ruger about it. They requested some photos which I sent.
I got a ppd UPS shipping label in about 2 hours after requesting service.

Packed her up and off she went today. They say about 10 days to turn it around.

So far Ruger CS has been awesome. Never had to plead for the ppd label. They just sent it.

We'll see how this works out.

For those who whine about their $600 Kahrs should work out of the box, it's not just Kahr, it's ALL guns have issues. The difference is how the company handles their issues. I have had excellent experiences with Kahr's CS and so far I give Ruger a +1 on theirs.

Will post a report when I get my SR22 back.

dirtkicker
03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Any updates Tinman? I can buy one for $379 new out the door and am firmly on the fence. Anyone else have one that can give me some imput?

Thanks!

Tinman507
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Still at the mothership. Supposed to go out sometime this week. Oh, that would be tomorrow.

$379 is kind of high. You can get it for an even $300 at tons of places. Shop around.

I've read lots of good reports on it. A few here and there with the same issues I had. A few with other issues like the takedown lever cracking. We'll see.

I hope they get their issues worked out. It's a sweet shooting little pistol. My gals love it. Was hoping it would be home next week for when my son gets home on Spring Break. He's eager to shoot it.

air8
03-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Have they mentioned if there was a problem and what they did to correct it?

air8
03-06-2012, 01:06 AM
I should not be watching Hickock's vid. I'm wanting this instead of a CW9 tomorrow. I already have a fullsize 9mm. Don't have a .22 pistol though LOL.

Tinman507
03-06-2012, 03:38 AM
It's still at the mothership. Waiting eagerly to get it back. No feedback on what the issue is. Supposedly getting it back this week. We'll see.

Tinman507
03-16-2012, 05:32 AM
Got my SR22 back from Ruger on Monday.

Repair order states:
Replaced Slide and Slide Stop.
Lubed and test fired with 40 rounds Federal Game Shok 40gr with Customer magazine. Function ok.

I took it out Tuesday and shot about 200 rounds of WWB and Federal Value Pack. I tore it down a few times to check for slide wear and all is cool. I had a couple of Fail to cycle that may have been weak loads. Could also have been my thumb touching the slide. The physics of this gun are very sensitive. 99% of the time it's fine. A slightly slow load will cause a failure to cycle the next round.

My CS experience with Ruger was pretty good. I suspect they're buried with SR22 returns. They originally told me 10-15 business days to get it back. It was 17 business days so I can't complain.

It's such a little tack driver. I really like this little gun. Feels so awesome in the hand. It sure lets you know how good or bad you are. In my case it showed me I need to slow down a little on second shots.

Still on a scale of 1-10 I give this one an 8. I may revise that down the road once I see how it holds up.

Popeye
03-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Good luck with your new toy. she'll love it. Beware though shooting 22's can be very addictive and you'll soon find your range trips get so long you'll almost go blind and pass out from hunger before you'll leave.:D

Good news is since I bought my 22 I've lost 10 lbs. ;)

Bawanna
03-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Good luck with your new toy. she'll love it. Beware though shooting 22's can be very addictive and you'll soon find your range trips get so long you'll almost go blind and pass out from hunger before you'll leave.:D

Good news is since I bought my 22 I've lost 10 lbs. ;)

Now that's what I'm talking about. Finally a story I haven't used on Mrs bawanna when I'm trying to buy a new gun. I could just leave out the 22 part and use it for anything I want or leave the 22, lord knows a man can't have too many 22's. Am I right here OR WHAT?

Hmmmm, wonder if it'll fly? I still haven't heard back with my vain attempt at telling her Getsome is getting one I should be able to also. Not a good sign at all. Woe is me.

Popeye
03-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about. Finally a story I haven't used on Mrs bawanna when I'm trying to buy a new gun. I could just leave out the 22 part and use it for anything I want or leave the 22, lord knows a man can't have too many 22's. Am I right here OR WHAT?

Hmmmm, wonder if it'll fly? I still haven't heard back with my vain attempt at telling her Getsome is getting one I should be able to also. Not a good sign at all. Woe is me.
What the worst that could happen other than being beatin profusely about the head and shoulders with a frying pan.:w00t:

Oh I might have forgot to mention that the range had to call the EMT's twice and hook me up to an intervinice bottle to bring me back to consiousness. Once they thought they might have to break out the paddles to restart my heart.:o

Bawanna
03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
What the worst that could happen other than being beatin profusely about the head and shoulders with a frying pan.:w00t:

Oh I might have forgot to mention that the range had to call the EMT's twice and hook me up to an intervinice bottle to bring me back to consiousness. Once they thought they might have to break out the paddles to restart my heart.:o

You got hidden camera's at my house? How do you know about the frying pan and the specifics of the head and shoulders.
I'm putting on my tinfoil hat, Popeye is watching.

I guess you probably already got shots of the push at the top of the steps too, much to graphic for a family oriented forum.

JFootin
03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
You got hidden camera's at my house? How do you know about the frying pan and the specifics of the head and shoulders.
I'm putting on my tinfoil hat, Popeye is watching.

I guess you probably already got shots of the push at the top of the steps too, much to graphic for a family oriented forum.

Nah. Popeye is just so old he has seen it all.....TWICE! :biggrin1:

Popeye
03-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Nah. Popeye is just so old he has seen it all.....TWICE! :biggrin1:

Oh sure pick on ole Popeye, I'm not that old now/yet. You trying to hurt my feelings. Or sumpin :confused:I will say this though some of the things I've seen twice, I've seen twice. Which means.... :eek:
Oh wait a Flea Farkin, Popeye pick on minute, maybe I am getting more than a few decades under me belt after all.:cool: Did I ever tell you guys about the time I had this vision of this guy getting pushed/hip checked down a set of stairs. That poor foker bounced off of and hit everthing on the way down cept the friekin lottery. Seems the guy tried to lay some lame arse excuse on his wife why he needed another gun.

Ok story time with Popeye is over I have to get back to the home and take my meds before they send out a search party.

All kidding aside have a great time with that new 22 they really are fun way to spend an afternoon at the range. Don't be suprised if you find yourself lusting for a 10/22 if you don't already have one.

JFootin
03-16-2012, 08:49 PM
LOL, Popeye, you know I'm just kidding you. :) I was just trying to nix a tin hat episode with Bawanna. :hippie:

Popeye
03-17-2012, 06:21 AM
LOL yea JFootin I know. I can take a good razzin with no problem. Heck if I can dish it out I better be able to take it. Lifes to short to take it all to seriously. Heck I probably make more fun of myself than anybody.:hippie:

Tinman507
04-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Got home just now and a box is sitting on the counter. Return address says Sturm Ruger & Co. Open it up and lo and behold lookie at what's inside

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/RugerNote.jpg
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/tinman507/RugerHat.jpg

Was a nice little thank you either for buying one or shipping one back for service. I am impressed. Makes me wanna buy that SR1911 even more.

Bawanna
04-13-2012, 02:59 PM
That's one fine looking hat right there. Very nice.

Wish you guys would knock off the SR1911 talk though, a guys got limitations ya know before the jacket with the ties in the back gets fitted.

Tinman507
04-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Sorry Boss. I understand that itch all too well.

Bawanna
04-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Sorry Boss. I understand that itch all too well.

Would ya mind calling Mrs. Bawanna (the real one, not the 8 cyber ones) and try to explain the itch to her?

Please don't mention any of my thoughts about a cyber wife get together, don't want to bother her with stuff like that.

Your far enough away I don't think she can hurt you. Maybe not a good idea, too risky.

Ken_K
04-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I'll call her! Whatever it takes to get you a SR!

melissa5
04-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Happy new gun to you tinman or is it happy new gun to your top heavy bride?

Let us know how she runs. A few have been talking about that very model. Your the absolute first person I know to bring one home.

Good wishes. Hope it works great and your top heavy bride gets along fine with it.

It's hard to run when you are top heavy! :p

Tinman507
04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Must be exhausted:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4900335814_b167e3e1ff.jpg

Bawanna
04-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Me thinks according to the book of Melissa, that would have a difficult time running. No Olympic running events in her future.

Perhaps a spot on Extreme Jousting if they can find a big enough horse they don't like very much.

JFootin
04-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Do you see the tiny skulls on her necklace and other places. Must be some kind of evil witch.

Popeye
04-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Very Nice .22's are alot of fun to shoot. Add ta 10/22 to that and you'll be there for hours. :D

Tinman507
04-14-2012, 06:08 AM
I have an old Glenfield Model 25 that I've had since I was 13. I love shooting that rifle. Been considering a 10/22 but the old 25 is such a good shooter it's hard to justify.

Not mine since it's currently residing with my son in college but it's identical
http://pictures.gunauction.com/2875165306/10871655/pix178848280.jpg

Paistemage
04-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Got one a few weeks after it came out. Over 1200 through, and going again today.

Awesome weapon.

TheTman
04-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I hope the ladies enjoy shooting your new pistol. Nice to see the ladies get involved in the shoting sports.

MW surveyor
04-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Man and wife shooting one of those yesterday at the range. Looked like they were doing pretty good and having a good time with the SR22.