PDA

View Full Version : For Hunters... and others

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Hunters, especially hog-hunters, watch out for competitors... we're not always at the top of the food chain!:eek:
Another way to get your hog. Be careful opening your door! And another hazard for wheelchairs, and drivers:

swampman
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Hunters, especially hog-hunters, watch out for competitors... we're not always at the top of the food chain!:eek:
Another way to get your hog. Be careful opening your door! And another hazard for wheelchairs, and drivers:
every once in awhile on the way to the stand we may have to yieid the right of way to the competitors :D

Bawanna
01-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey, that's me in the wheelchair alligator sign!

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Hey, that's me in the wheelchair alligator sign!
Yeah. I was thinking about you. Be careful in the parks close to the water in the South... on hills, especially!:D

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 02:32 PM
About 9 or 10 years or more ago (my dog has been gone almost 6 years) I was walking my dog in the little city park behind my house, He ran down the boat ramp as we got near it, barking... really excited. There was a good splash and I shined my light in the water, and there were two orangish glowing eyes -- a small(?) gator! I'm glad it wasn't a big one that likes "doggy-treats". I used to shine my Pelican M9 (pretty bright beam) and pan it across the cove out there adjacent to the St John's River and see gator eyes once in awhile. That was the closest I came to seeing one out of the water here around the house. Some of the wildlife down here is dangerous. We hear about the occasional bear and I had a fox come right up to my front porch, but so far no pumas in our area. There are lots of raccoons, opossums, armadillos, and stray cats round here, plus lots of birds to watch!:D

Dietrich
01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
I got the head of a 250 lb boar hanging over my fireplace.Got him in the marshlands outside of Savannah. Those gators are handsome brutes too. I haven`t done anything to support my local taxidermist lately so can you hunt them critters? Wild boar were considered a nuisance when I killed mine and you could hunt them all year round.At least in Georgia.What are the rules on gators in Florida? Or maybe Georgia,Louisiana etc? I like to hunt things that might take a chunk out of me.Kind of calms me down.

swampman
01-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I got the head of a 250 lb boar hanging over my fireplace.Got him in the marshlands outside of Savannah. Those gators are handsome brutes too. I haven`t done anything to support my local taxidermist lately so can you hunt them critters? Wild boar were considered a nuisance when I killed mine and you could hunt them all year round.At least in Georgia.What are the rules on gators in Florida? Or maybe Georgia,Louisiana etc? I like to hunt things that might take a chunk out of me.Kind of calms me down. here in south carolina you can hunt wild hogs year round and alligators in the fall ,I killed a 150 lb. hog with my MK40 one time,but it was caught in a hog trap,and I shot it behind the ear with 155 gr. silvertip,very delicious eating.:D

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 05:11 PM
There is a season down here, but it's limited, I think. You need a license and I don't know anything about it. We see pictures in the paper about some of the big'uns. they can be found almost anywhere down here. The males go exploring sometimes... maybe lookin' for lady gators.:)

Raoul
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
:yo: I really fond of the danger falling cattle sign...

jfrey
01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Here in Texas, if you have a hunting license you can hunt hogs year around, day or night. There is a season on gators and you have to have a special tag from TDPW. In most places around the state, there is plenty of hunting to be done when it comes to hogs. They multiply fast and over run certain areas on a regular basis. If you can get one around 100 pounds and split it in half, it is good on the pit.

swampman
01-31-2010, 07:12 PM
:yo: I really fond of the danger falling cattle sign... that was a unique one :D

mr surveyor
01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
an oilfield hand took a 14 foot gator from a slough about 20 miles South of me last year. Gators are on the rebound here in NE Texas. In my line of work, we occassionally end up working in these areas and often forget the possibility of those big round yellow eyes protruding just above the water level near the bank those backwater sloughs.

surv

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 08:33 PM
I have some other pictures from emails -- a recent one of a guy that reached into the water to get a golf ball. There's a picture of the gator in the water with the arm in his mouth and another where they caught and killed the gator and extracted the arm whole. Kinda grisly but stuff happens. I think we have more gator attacks down here than shark attacks on the Atlantic side. People still go swimming in areas that have gators. Those suckers can lie on the bottom for a long time and can move quickly. I remember Johnny Weismuller as Tarzan fighting crocs underwater that looked like they were about 20 feet long. He and his knife usually won. I was young and I was impressed!
I might have grown up with Disney, but I always understood the real animals were wild. Nowadays, you hear about idiots trying to pet bears and lions... in and out of cages. I'll pass on that petting wild critters. I've seen enough videos of "tame" animals attacking people, and sometimes the playing gets out of hand with the owner/friend, too.:eek:
Wynn

mr surveyor
01-31-2010, 09:23 PM
yeah, Wyn, y'all also now have to deal with the idiots that released their overgrown pet pythons and anacondas. I've heard of sightings of those nasty snakes being seen in a few other Southern states in the last few years. They're liable to be the next rash of ferral critters to multiply into a major problem. When that day comes, I'll put up the little j-frame I carry in the field and start toting a Redhawk 44 mag

surv

wyntrout
01-31-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't remember what country, but a sheep rancher was losing sheep, so he put up an electric fence. The wires are ten inches apart!:eek:

Dietrich
02-01-2010, 03:47 AM
yeah, Wyn, y'all also now have to deal with the idiots that released their overgrown pet pythons and anacondas. I've heard of sightings of those nasty snakes being seen in a few other Southern states in the last few years. They're liable to be the next rash of ferral critters to multiply into a major problem. When that day comes, I'll put up the little j-frame I carry in the field and start toting a Redhawk 44 mag

surv
I remember when I was a kid back in the fifties,my parents took me somewhere there was a lot of wild animals.It wasn`t a zoo so I guess it was privately owned.They had bobcats,racoons gators,etc.We might have been in Florida,I can`t remember.But I do remember that you could buy a little baby alligator to take home with you in its` own little aquarium.I, of course,wanted one.My dad pointed out the fact that when it grew up,it would want to eat my dog.Smart man. I can`t understand how an adult is unable to figure out that gators,pythons and the like are going to grow to be too big to handle.Do these people have no common sense at all or do they just not care?

wyntrout
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Too many people just don't think about the big picture and the harm they are causing. The Everglades is full of exotic snakes and other critters now. Every time it gets cold down here we hear about the iguanas falling out of the trees all over Florida.:D But there are untold kinds of other things that people "free" and then they thrive and become nuisances destroying native wildlife and pets -- the pythons and boas and whatever else. Some idiots keep these things until they're so big, that adults might not be safe and children have died... killed by these "pets". I've never seen a cuddly snake, though I've tried making pets out of small harmless snakes. Even those will try to bite you and I never had them long before releasing them. I would advise anyone to stick to the domesticated pets, especially dogs. Cats are okay but I don't like them in the house -- too messy and smelly and they can get everywhere.:ohmy:
Wynn

Bawanna
02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I got the head of a 250 lb boar hanging over my fireplace.Got him in the marshlands outside of Savannah. Those gators are handsome brutes too. I haven`t done anything to support my local taxidermist lately so can you hunt them critters? Wild boar were considered a nuisance when I killed mine and you could hunt them all year round.At least in Georgia.What are the rules on gators in Florida? Or maybe Georgia,Louisiana etc? I like to hunt things that might take a chunk out of me.Kind of calms me down.

Perhaps if you take a stroll down there close to the water and act like bait you could shoot one. It was self defense! Call me if you need a witness. Wonder if they'd let you stuff it? Hmm, always legal questions. I've always wanted to hunt Cape Buffalo for the same reasons you mentioned. Doubt it will ever happen now but something to dream about anyhow.:001_huh: