PDA

View Full Version : CW9 accuracy problems.

kc8upg
01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
OK here it is. I absolutely cannot shoot my CW9 where I aim it. I ALWAYS shoot around 8-10 inches low at 7 yards. I've tried different ammunition, trigger techniques, different grips, etc. and still the same. I shoot one big hole with my Glock 22, but that gun is a little harder to conceal. I understand that absolute accuracy is largely meaningless in a defensive situation since it would take place probably at short range, but I would still like to be able to know that I can hit a specific target if I need to. Any suggestions? The gun has around 300 rounds through it, and I keep all of my weapons spotless and well lubricated. I really don't want to have to send it back to Kahr.

jeep45238
01-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Check to see if there's a burr on the bottom of the crown of the barrel. Outside of that, it's you, not the gun. You shoot more accurate with the Glock than the Kahr due to the shorter trigger travel and reduced reset compared to Kahrs. Also, are you shooting with a 6 oclock hold or not?

Generally shooting low is the shooter not going back to basics with the long trigger travel, or flinching and pushing the gun down in an attempt to reduce the muzzle flip caused by poor form/technique.

http://www.ammoman.com/graphics/diagn_right.jpg

Reverse on the vertical axis for lefties.

kc8upg
01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
I think you're right in regards to the trigger. The recoil doesn't bother me, but I am not particularly fond of the long trigger pull of the Kahr. I suppose I just need to really examine how I pull the trigger and tweak it accordingly.

kc8upg
01-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Interesting graphic, hopefully it can be helpful too.

mr surveyor
01-31-2010, 10:10 PM
for grins, try shooting from the bench with a sandbag rest while sitting. That should help you see where the Kahr is really capable of matching POI to POA.

I normally do that with every newly acquired firearm... try to take out as much "shooter influence" as possible.

Then, follow mr. jeep's excellent advice.

surv

sharpetop
01-31-2010, 10:38 PM
How are you aligning your sights? With bar and dot sights you have to set the dot on top of the bar and cover your intended target with the dot at close range. At longer ranges you set the target on top of the dot. Just a thought.

jocko
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
get some snap caps about a half dozen and have some one with you load your magazine and insert how many they want in your magazine without you knowing where they are. I can assure you, it will show you what you are doing wrong. kahrs are indeed not the easiest gun to shoot accurately. The gun will, just that most shooters cannot. IMO they are not target guns so don't expect that type of accuracy,but that being said that chart above is a dandy and your groups will get better the more you shoot your kahr. Shooting low is certainly anticipation and if your a right hand shooter I bet your groups are low and to the left also. As someone mentioned, you might want to get a different sight picture. Just remember the front sight is your friend, u should see it clearly, the target should be kinda blured and the rear sight will just fall in place. See that front sight clearly. It is impossable to see all three (front rear andtarget) clearly.. Your ok, just settle down some and eliminate the shooter errors and it will all come to you faster than you think. I have many thousands of round sout of my PM9 and at 10 yards I am not very good with it, but when I get up tol 7 yards my groups tighten up alot but for me a good group at 7 yards is 3 inches, not much better. I never have claimed to be a good pistol shooter, but I sure like to shoot alot.

In-Yo-Grill
02-01-2010, 06:56 AM
for grins, try shooting from the bench with a sandbag rest while sitting. That should help you see where the Kahr is really capable of matching POI to POA.

I normally do that with every newly acquired firearm... try to take out as much "shooter influence" as possible.

Then, follow mr. jeep's excellent advice.

surv

I did this with my Kahr P45 and was amazed at how accurate it was.

jfrey
02-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Jeep, where on ammoman website did you find that picture of the trigger pull analysis? I looked and couldn't find it.
Thanks

jeep45238
02-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Google diagnostic target, you'll find a bunch of them in the images tab.