PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know as a new Kahr shooter?

RodeoX
02-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I just purchased a brand new K series elite with night sights and wood grips. After my beloved Bersa 383 developed a slide problem I searched around for a new EDC weapon. At first I wrote off Kahr, as I am not a polymer fan. However Karhr's steel guns are so cool that to not love them is to not have a soul.

I take possession next week and I'm eager to be a good Kahr daddy. So my question is; What should I be doing, researching, buying, etc. that will prepare me? I hear that field stripping is a little tricky for example.

I Have had guns for years and I know how to shoot. I learned from my Dad and he learned it from the Army and at the FBI academy. I have a Wisconsin CC permit and a Utah permit. So what else should I have?

Oh, and Hi all! Especially to the dude I bought the gun from last night. I know your here somewhere.

jocko
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
do this and ur hoe free:

go to the kahr tech section and there are rtwo great stickys. that will help u alot

#1 kahr lube chart

#2 propper prepping of ur new kahr.

They are no tricky guns at all to mess with. The K9 is theri bread and butter semi to, U will love it.

There is a stickly also in the kahrt tech section on slide dissambly. some very helpful hints tomake it alot easier. Great gun, if u use that clean out hole on the bottom of thslide like the prepping theads suggests, u should not even hav etomess with slide dissasembly..

welcome to the finest, most friendly, most informative forum u will ever be on.

RodeoX
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks jacko! That is just the kind of stuff I knew I did not know. :w00t:

Thunder71
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
#3 Start an ammo fund

Once you shoot it, you won't want to stop going to the range.

Bawanna
02-08-2012, 02:51 PM
What do I do to get the ho free?

Wait I hit the wrong button on the decoder ring. Translates to home free.

Damn, no free ho, poor luck.

cgpeanut
02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Don't forget to download and read the manual and use brass case bullets instead of steel for the breakin. Now, I'm not sure of 124 gr +p NATO is better to use or just plain old 115 gr maybe someone could advise the best load to use.

jocko
02-14-2012, 07:43 PM
I would think 124 gr nato would be a good solid round for break i, it sure should make the slide lock back easier for break in purposes..

cgpeanut
02-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks jocko! That's the ammo I'll use, saw some for $12.00 per box of 50 rds at Acedemy Sports, then move back to 115gr since this is available everywhere and cheaper :)

JFootin
02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I would think 124 gr nato would be a good solid round for break i, it sure should make the slide lock back easier for break in purposes..

Great minds think alike! I felt like I needed something with a little more weight and kick for breakin, so I got 250 rounds of 124 gr FMJ bullets from USAammo. It has noticeably more kick than the WWB 115 gr and really cycles the slide with gusto. Wore my hand out after about 60 rounds. I'll definitely be going back to the WWB after breakin because it is lots more pleasureable to shoot.

RodeoX
02-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks to: Thunder71 - I have started my ammo fund for the break in rounds.

Thanks to: Bawanna - Im looking into my free ho. Not much info on the Kahr website about it?:o

Thanks to: cgpeanut and jocko and JFootin - I was going to break in with 115gr. FMJ, but I'll try the 124gr. What your saying makes sense, and the gun is really "stiff" out of the box. I'll also try out that WWB.

RodeoX
02-21-2012, 08:22 AM
UPDATE: I finally took it to the range last night. I only had time to put through 65 Rnds. of 124gr. Federal law enforcement ammo. It performed without a glitch.
Before that I followed all the suggestions in this thread. De-greasing and cleaning with non-chlorinated Breaklean. Then I oiled it and racked the slide a few hundred times.
The wood grips I bought separately are going to need a little fitting, but look great. I also love the tri-con sights. I have a spot near the bed where it sits at night. When I look that direction I can tell the position of the gun in the dark.
It is a bit heavier than my previous CC weapon, but that weight makes for a smooth action and the kick is less than my .380. I could even fire nice double tap groups.
Thanks again for your advice guys! (or girls?? na, your all guys lol)

OldLincoln
02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
If you don't have a holster for it, take a look at the Garrett site. For your 2lb gun you may want something like the Silent Thunder Fusion (http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/silent-thunder-fusion/). It will spread the weight across 2 belt clips that are close enough together to keep putting it on and off simple.

My Silent Thunder IWB is perfect for my 1.5lb PM9, but I'd buy this for anything heavier.

http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/product_images/uploaded_images/dsc04201.jpg

RodeoX
07-02-2012, 11:39 AM
I like that holster. Here is what I ended up getting.

http://i47.tinypic.com/1elabm.jpg

7shot
07-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Here's one thing you need to know about your K series...it's loyal as hell to its owner, so you'll never want to get rid of it. :D

Wisewolfhowling
07-19-2012, 09:30 PM
You bought the wood grips separate so the gun came with the rubber grips correct? Do you like the feel of the wood compared to the rubber? I was thinking about getting the wood grips for my k9.