PDA

View Full Version : Kahr QC Error?

Ol'coot
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
I just receive this email from on point firearms and although they make light of the situation it concerns me that this could ever happened and then to be shipped out to retail location is almost unbelievable.

I've been in the gun business for eight years now. There's a lot of paperwork and government oversight involved when you're in this industry, so an attention to detail is a prerequisite. You've got to be on point, right? Once in a blue moon, something hilarious comes across my desk. It happened again last Friday afternoon, so I thought I'd share the story. [click here for all the pics ]

With our high volume, I rarely have the time to inspect every gun that comes through our shop before it ships out. However, for some reason I gave this little Kahr MK40 a double take on Friday. Hold the phone! Stop the presses! Kuwait a minute! At first glance it was missing its grips, but upon further inspection, it was missing a whole lot more! In fact, the MK40 had no internal parts whatsoever! No trigger, no slide lock, no springs… nothing. Zip, zilch, nada.

Our supplier overnighted a replacement unit, so the client only had to wait an extra day for delivery, which was good. Before you get worried about your next gun purchase, please realize this is an atypical situation-- a real statistical outlier-- a real fly in the ointment. I can count on one hand the times these sort of shenanigans have taken place.

In recent years, it's happened a few times with Sig Sauer: wrong trigger groups installed on P229s and poor frame-to-slide fit on the early GSRs when they were still "McLearning" how to make 1911s. Most recently, a Glock 19 came to our shop with two different serial numbers. The barrel and slide matched, but the frame didn't. Somewhere along the assembly line, a couple of guns switched places. The results were hilarious. ABC is planning a new comedy series about it called "Glock Swap."

I apologize for the dry humor, but it's a rainy Tuesday morning and this is the best I could come up with. Better stuff later in the week, my friends… I promise. In the meantime, please enjoy the pics and have yourself a laugh. I thought it was a hoot. [click here for all the pics (http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?page=kahr_mk40_quality_control)]

jwr
02-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Yikes! Someone was out to lunch.

wyntrout
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Wow! A Kahr MK40 Lite! Do they have blind people working at Kahr??:confused:
There was even a clip inserted -- someone's idea of a joke, but where in the process.... I don't think it was test fired!:eek:
Wynn:D

Dietrich
02-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Hey now,let`s give some credit where credit is due. It was very clean.:emptybath:

wyntrout
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Hmmm... "some assembly required... additional optional parts may be required.":D

jwr
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Hmmm... "some assembly required... additional optional parts may be required."
I thought maybe the lack of trigger was a new California Only requirement :D

(no offense intended CA folks :))

wyntrout
02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey now,let`s give some credit where credit is due. It was very clean.:emptybath:
I think that the proper adjective here is "stripped" as in a car parked in a bad area is stripped by fun-loving teens with too much time on their hands!;)
A little levity is nice once in a while.
Wynn:D

Vinikahr
02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
From the perspective of fraud and thef, I would not doubt for a second an assembly worker swamping a incomplete(work in progress) gun for a whole one (finish goods). I have seen this done with computers and other sensitive goods (I was the investigator JIC).:eek::33::phone::typing:

getsome
02-02-2010, 02:26 PM
I tend to agree, I dont think there is any way that gun was sent out like that...If I were looking into it I think I would be looking real hard at the person in quality control who's job it is to be sure all paper work is packaged with the gun in question....Who ever made the swap is very close to the end of the assembly line/quality control and shipping side of the operation and is now in possession of a nice fully assembled MK40...I may be wrong but am willing to bet that is what really happened...

wyntrout
02-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Whether or not the frame# matched the one on the box would be a good place to start. I guess it's probably a little late for fingerprints!:p
Wynn:)

johnh
02-03-2010, 06:47 AM
I had to stop and make sure it was not April 1. :D

Something really odd has to have happened here. I mean there is no way I can imagine an item in an assembly line going through a bunch of stations and not getting assembled, then packaged and shipped without being noticed. I would think it was more a mishap in shipping. Meaning that this was meant to go somewhere like that for a reason, and it went to the wrong place. Make sense? Seems far more likely to me than an oversight in manufacturing at multiple steps in the process.

John

WMD
02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Ahhh you guys..... You are too quick to "assume" the gun was shipped out of the factory in that condition. How do you know it wasn't someone who handled the product in the shipping process (after it left the factory) that stripped the gun. Perhaps a carrier needed some parts for a his gun? COiuld have been someone else in the loop. Lets see...., gun ships to distributor...., then ships to dealer.....,

Lots of folks had access to that gun. Could even be a dealer employee!

Just another perspective..... :D

Vinikahr
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Ahhh you guys..... You are too quick to "assume" the gun was shipped out of the factory in that condition. How do you know it wasn't someone who handled the product in the shipping process (after it left the factory) that stripped the gun. Perhaps a carrier needed some parts for a his gun? COiuld have been someone else in the loop. Lets see...., gun ships to distributor...., then ships to dealer.....,

Lots of folks had access to that gun. Could even be a dealer employee!

Just another perspective..... :D

Three possible scenarios:

1) A saboteur and thief
2) An idiot and thief
3) An independent contractor and thief.

Hence, I am not sure about number 3.
http://ingunowners.com/forums/avatars/handk49031.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1237843354

johnh
02-03-2010, 08:05 AM
I am told on good authority that Kahr is very concerned about this situation and is investigating the matter. Based on what I have heard, I would not at all be surprised if it is determined that the pistol was not that way when it left Kahr.

It is beyond me why dealers post things like this online. They should have called Kahr first and let a proper investigation be conducted. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

I am going to close this thread for now out of resepect for the good folks at Kahr. When the facts become clear they will be posted here.

John