PDA

View Full Version : "sling shot first round"?

jkalantzis
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
I understand that to load the first round i must pull the slide back, insert the magazine and then use the slide release to load. What if I do not want to carry with one in the chamber and I need access to my gun? It may be a stupid question I'm just trying to understand this great handgun. My second question is does this pm9 with a standard magazine carry six in the magazine plus one in the chamber? Sorry for basic questions I'm just used to my Glock.

wyntrout
02-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Oh! You really don't want to go there - one in the chamber or not!. The purpose of the CCW Kahr is self-defense. If there's not one in the chamber, the gun's not loaded and not having that edge put's you behind the action in most circumstances -- like my favorite scenario of fending off a knife attack... with maybe your strong hand. Criminals are usually not understanding about playing fair and all, and there's no sense in giving one an advantage... also, that 6+1 carry might mean the difference in life or death. The Kahr is drop-tested thoroughly and there's never been a documented case of accidental firing where it was claimed to have been dropped, that later didn't prove to be other-wise, as in trying to CYA after being stupid. If there's not one in the chamber, you're betting your life and/or your loved ones' lives that you will have a chance to rack that slide... with two hands... and NOT have a failure to chamber or feed. In the "heat of battle" adrenalin is pumping and things don't always go as you like. The Kahr's built for safety and will only fire when the trigger is pulled all the way. No manual safety or magazine safety keeps it simple.
Most who carry CCW do carry with one in the chamber. Look for the link on this forum about this "tactic" -- big discussion on "One in the pipe, or not?"
Wynn:)
I'm long-winded and several people have probably beaten me to the post!:D

getsome
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi jkalantzis, Your question has been debated before and most all agree that if you carry with an empty chamber you would be better off not carrying at all...Your gun is perfectly safe and is designed to carry hot, one in the pipe... This is the reason for the loooong triger pull so that the gun won't go off unless you want it to....If (God forbid) you get into a situation with a bad guy and you have to think about getting the gun ready to shoot you are already in a severe disadvantage...Carry hot, be aware of your surroundings, and be ready to defend yourself and family if need be.....

jwr
02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I understand that to load the first round i must pull the slide back, insert the magazine and then use the slide release to load. What if I do not want to carry with one in the chamber and I need access to my gun? It may be a stupid question.
Not a stupid question but a very important thing to understand. I applaud your courage in asking it :), and hope everyone realizes you were doing just that: asking a question and *not* arguing the opposing point of view.

Wyntrout has stated a very strong argument for keeping your gun loaded and ready. I agree with his views

wyntrout
02-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Not a stupid question but a very important thing to understand. I applaud your courage in asking it :), and hope everyone realizes you were doing just that: asking a question and *not* arguing the opposing point of view.

Wyntrout has stated a very strong argument for keeping your gun loaded and ready. I agree with his views

jkalantzis, I'm sorry if I seemed to come too strong, but I get carried away... as you'll notice!:o I thought, after my "speech", that you might have just been asking a simple yes or no question.:blushing:
Wynn

And the BOOK Kahr method is to lock the slde back, insert the magazine, release the slide with the slide release lever to chamber a round. Most of us then top off the magazine for 6+1. You can carry with the 7-round extended-grip magazine, but I think most problems have been with that or other 7-round mags. Try both out. :)

Vinikahr
02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi jkalantzis, Your question has been debated before and most all agree that if you carry with an empty chamber you would be better off not carrying at all...Your gun is perfectly safe and is designed to carry hot, one in the pipe... This is the reason for the loooong triger pull so that the gun won't go off unless you want it to....If (God forbid) you get into a situation with a bad guy and you have to think about getting the gun ready to shoot you are already in a severe disadvantage...Carry hot, be aware of your surroundings, and be ready to defend yourself and family if need be.....

^^Plus one to what he said!^^ :53::33:

jwr
02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
jkalantzis, I'm sorry if I seemed to come too strong, but I get carried away... as you'll notice!:o I thought, after my "speech", that you might have just been asking a simple yes or no question.:blushing:
Wynn

Wynn, I wasn't referring to your response at all. You have a strong and reasonable argument. It's also important to get the seriousness of the point across.

I was just worried that someone might go after the OP instead of responding to the question.

Regards!

wyntrout
02-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I got worried that I had come on too strong and scared him!:o
Wynn

ripley16
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
I understand that to load the first round i must pull the slide back, insert the magazine and then use the slide release to load. What if I do not want to carry with one in the chamber and I need access to my gun? It may be a stupid question I'm just trying to understand this great handgun. My second question is does this pm9 with a standard magazine carry six in the magazine plus one in the chamber? Sorry for basic questions I'm just used to my Glock.

If you choose to have the gun loaded but not chamber a round, to answer your question.... yes, you can simply rack the slide like you do your Glock. Be sure to retract the slide fully and release, letting the slide slam home.

The prefered method is to use the slide release, but a properly executed racking does the same thing. I've never had one of my Kahrs not feed by racking the slide.

The standard PM9 mag holds 6 rounds. The 7 and 8 round mags fit too but extend out the bottom.

jkalantzis
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I do not intend on carrying without one in the chamber. I was just inquiring for those that do how would it be possible with the way a Kahr is chambered. I like the feeling I am getting from the people here on KT. Again thanks for everyone's opinions and help.

mx5fan
02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
By the way, once my PM9 was broken in the slide release was much easier to work and use for the purpose of releasing the slide. It took me a little while to get used to the idea, but it works really well and is now second nature with my Kahr.

Bawanna
02-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I do not intend on carrying without one in the chamber. I was just inquiring for those that do how would it be possible with the way a Kahr is chambered. I like the feeling I am getting from the people here on KT. Again thanks for everyone's opinions and help.

Stick with us pal, we're all insane. Remember no such thing as a stupid question, I do encounter some peculiar answers now and then and one must always keep answers and opinions in separate categories.
I also totally second MX5 and I've heard several others say they get better after they run a bit. Still don't understand how a slide release would be better than a sling shot unless your just riding the slide too much. Facts are facts I guess.
Welcome aboard.

swampman
02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I own three kahrs p380,pm40 and mk40,after initial break in they load either way.I do not conceal carry unloaded.:D

Dietrich
02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi buddy,in this forum you will find some of the most arbitrary screwballs you will ever run across. The really neat thing about us though is that we all seem to genuinely care about each other`s well being.That`s the reason that some of these guys get excited about a particular question.Don`t let anything somebody writes get to you.All of us are a little "special". Damndest bunch of folks I`ve ever been around.Good people.All that being said,welcome to the forum and incidentally,I carry with one in the pipe.:D

pacific nw guy
02-03-2010, 07:00 AM
be sure you dont "ride" the slide if you plan to load the first round by hand. I was having issues and then an instructor showed me how to properly rack the slide. if you are new to this it is something easily done wrong.

btw I had the same questions initially and now always carry and store with one in the chamber. I also want to add that you have to carry the gun in a holster. if you are going to just drop it in your pocket then I might not want one in the chamber.

jocko
02-03-2010, 08:52 AM
be sure you dont "ride" the slide if you plan to load the first round by hand. I was having issues and then an instructor showed me how to properly rack the slide. if you are new to this it is something easily done wrong.

btw I had the same questions initially and now always carry and store with one in the chamber. I also want to add that you have to carry the gun in a holster. if you are going to just drop it in your pocket then I might not want one in the chamber.

and if your gonna just drop the gun in a unprotected pocket with no round in the chamber,you might as well leave it at home, for you will be dead and buried before you draw it and cycle a live round and hope to God you did it right..

Bawanna
02-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi buddy,in this forum you will find some of the most arbitrary screwballs you will ever run across. The really neat thing about us though is that we all seem to genuinely care about each other`s well being.That`s the reason that some of these guys get excited about a particular question.Don`t let anything somebody writes get to you.All of us are a little "special". Damndest bunch of folks I`ve ever been around.Good people.All that being said,welcome to the forum and incidentally,I carry with one in the pipe.:D

Now we're referred to as arbitrary screwballs. I kind of resemble that. I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me. I love you man.

As a side note and just to stay with the original story line, I always slingshot all my auto's now including my K40. You just gotta let r fly!:biggrin1:

wyntrout
02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
I thought that he was referring to me.:blushing:

And, I love to release the slide to chamber a round in my PM9 -- it's like firing a round!:D

My 9mm Double Tap order has left Kansas City, KS at 7AM. I hope it speeds up and gets here Friday as projected. I can't wait to try that and my polished feed ramps... and proper trigger technique(?):D

Also, I tried my K9 in my Minituck and it seems to fit... more loosely than PM9?:confused:

Wynn:behindsofa:

deadhead1971
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
And, I love to release the slide to chamber a round in my PM9 -- it's like firing a round!

Why yes, there is a bit of satisfaction in pressing that slide release and it going "wham." It conveys a message that I mean business.

I am one of the raving-mad, foaming at the mouth, blithering, fanatic, crazy lunatics.

recoilguy
02-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Well it has all been said. I will admit I was apprehensive at first about one in the pipe and no safety. Then I read a thread about it and I found myself agreeing with every put on in and carry point made. It took me a few days to feel comfortable but now I do and have for years.

Now I can't believe I ever was apprehensive. If I were ver to need my weapon I would hate to think I had to remember to rack it first. The gun will only fire if the trigger is pulled, so i only allow the trigger to be pulled when I want it to go Bang.

RCG

jwr
02-03-2010, 02:06 PM
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that even using the slide-lock to chamber the first round it's still important to learn the proper way to rack the slide *and* to make sure your gun will feed that way.

If you train to clear a malfunction it's common to rack the slide as part of the "tap, rack, ready" drill, in which case you *have* to be able to chamber a round without using the slide-lock.

Just some more stuff to think about :-)

jeep45238
02-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Using proper methods, sling shot vs slide stop isn't an issue - but most people don't use proper methods.

Uploading a video right now about it......and I don't use the slide stop, nor do I sling shot my Kahr, or a multitude of other guns to reload them ;)

http://kahrtalk.com/ccw-tactics-training/1119-slide-stop-reload-sling-shot-who-cares.html