PDA

View Full Version : How to load +1?

Hoop1101
02-03-2010, 11:02 AM
I have been wondering what is the best way to load the chamber for +1. There are two ways that I can think of:

1. Lock slide back. Physically drop a cartridge into the chamber. Release slide. Insert full magazine.

2. Lock slide back. Insert full magazine. Release slide/chamber round. Eject magazine. Add round. Re-insert magazine.

The first option seems simpler, but I didn't know how safe or reliable this would be instead of having the round picked up from the mag. I would like to know what everyone else does and why. Thanks!

Bawanna
02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
The second method you describe is correct. If you physically just drop a round in the chamber and drop the slide it makes the extractor ride over the rim of the case. While this is not catastrophic (usually) it causes unnecessary stress and some guns, some 1911's don't like it much. If you feed from the magazine the case slides up under the extractor as designed.
I usually avoid top loading myself, most guns seems to like it better and feed more reliably. That is just my own opinion to be taken as such.

hsart
02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I would only chamber a round from the magazine.

jeep45238
Do not do #1, always load your semi auto pistols from the magazine (and most rifles).

If you slowly watch the round going up into the chamber, you'll notice the rim slides UNDER the extractor. Dropping one in the pipe and slamming it home will force the extractor to slam against the rim, then over it, and then claw into it. An action like that of the Kahr is NOT designed to do that. Some guns, like AR15's, do that with every single round that's fired - it's VERY rare to find a handgun that's designed to do that.

You'll eventually break your extractor, and if using ammo with brittle brass, you increase the probability of ripping the rim off the case and being unable to extract that case without the aide of a cleaning rod.

I always do #2 if you couldn't tell - besides the above mentioned reasons, it's less likely to jam up feeding from the magazine than performing an action the gun was never designed to do.

jwr
What Bawanna45cal said.

The extractor is designed to mate up with the cartridge as it's fed in from the mag--not ride over the lip of the casing already in the barrel.

Good question, btw.

Hoop1101
02-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the replies so far! Great info and explainations. I couldn't find much information on it out there. I will definately do #2. :biggrin1:

ltxi
02-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Joining the chorus, Kahrs in particular do not like having the extractor forced over a cartridge rim like that, method #1. It will, probably sooner than later, chip off the edge of the extractor.

Dietrich
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the replies so far! Great info and explainations. I couldn't find much information on it out there. I will definately do #2. :biggrin1:
It`s good that you do #2
#2 is what I do
It keeps you safe the whole night through
#2 is good for you. :biggrin1:

ripley16
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
#3 ;)

I generally use method number three... Load one round in the mag, load the gun, drop the mag, load it fully and re-insert. This avoids having to load that pesky, thumb eating last round twice. :biggrin1:

jeep45238
02-03-2010, 05:17 PM
#3 ;)

I generally use method number three... Load one round in the mag, load the gun, drop the mag, load it fully and re-insert. This avoids having to load that pesky, thumb eating last round twice. :biggrin1:

That last rounds helps build callouses, embrace loading it multiple times!

:yo:

jwr
02-03-2010, 05:22 PM
#3 This avoids having to load that pesky, thumb eating last round twice. :biggrin1:
You've put some thought into this. Well done! :)

tv_racin_fan
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Uplula is my friend.

ripley16
02-04-2010, 03:24 AM
You've put some thought into this. Well done! :)

This method also serves as a sort of press check too. If the round is gone, the mag empty, then your pistol is loaded... no doubt about it.

WMD
02-04-2010, 08:17 AM
it`s good that you do #2
#2 is what i do
it keeps you safe the whole night through

grooooaannn! :d

(rotflmao)

wyntrout
02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Once a round is in battery position or chambered, when I want to make sure that the gun is loaded, I point the muzzle toward the best light source and look down the barrel -- finger off the trigger, of course. I don't want to pull the slide back and possibly leave it a bit out of position. Besides, it's a comforting sight -- that nice little hollow point waiting to perform its duty.
I can see a lot of surprised faces.:eek:
And ripley16 said "This method also serves as a sort of press check too. If the round is gone, the mag empty, then your pistol is loaded... no doubt about it." Unless... CRS has kicked in and you think "Dang, did I just put an empty magazine in?"
Wynn:D

ripley16
02-04-2010, 08:43 AM
You're kidding.... right?

wyntrout
02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
You're kidding.... right? #1:D

Nope! It's safe and doesn't bother the chambered round. I do this when starting to use snap caps to make sure there's a red round in there.
I know! A dozen people are wanting to squawk about this, but the gun won't fire unless I put my finger in there and pull the trigger... and we spend a lot of time here talking about failures to feed, etc.
Wynn:w00t:
I haven't had any problems, so far!:biggrin1:

500KV
02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
#1:D

I haven't had any problems, so far!:biggrin1:
Seems like a great idea........If you've got a death-wish.

wyntrout
02-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Seems like a great idea........If you've got a death-wish.

#2 :D

Hmmm... is this like the "Guns kill people...."? It's only dangerous if your finger pulls the trigger. It's not a snake, and we talk about how safe the Kahrs are.... Now, I wouldn't advise everyone to do that... and not in moving vehicles... or with someone else holding the gun. I'm very mindful of the gun's potential... and my part in making it do what it's designed to do.
I've really got to find an emoticon of the bowling-ball-looking bomb with the lit fuse... as in tossing out one for comment. :D
Wynn:rolleyes:

500KV
02-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Coroner: Officer, how did this happen?

Officer: Well sir; he was looking down the barrel to see if it was loaded...And it was.

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 10:09 AM
It won't hurt a dang thing to pull back the slide 1/2 an inch or so and visually verify that there's a cartridge in there.

If you're so paranoid that you refuse to rack the slide slightly to perform a press check, may I suggest utilizing a mirror instead of your eyeball?

mr surveyor
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
personally, I kinda like to observe the loaded chamber indicator

wyntrout
02-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow! Success! Hijacked thread!:bump2: And I'm hardly paranoid... and it's personal preference. There's no danger and like I said... it's not for everyone.:rolleyes: Kaboom... the bomb of controversy....:D Some of you probably run a finger or thumb along a sharp blade to see if it's sharp. Now that's dangerous!:eek: Another controversy ~ TP behind or over to front:eek:
Seat up or down (I personally like the LID down):eek:
Wynn:behindsofa:

johnh
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey my electrician grandfather used to test to see if wires were hot by grabbing them.

:D

Apparently he got used to it after a while. Much tougher fellow than me!

John

getsome
02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Reminds me of Mr Bill, Ooooooooooooh Noooooooooooo!!!!!:D

Bawanna
02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Excellent. Mr Bill was my hero. Wonder what ever happened to him? Or perhaps what ever didn't happen to him would be a better question.
My weak suggestion Mr. Wyntrout would be to look really really quick. Maybe bob and weave. I've done it myself just gotta know you know and I bet if we applied the lie detector machine I think most would admit they have. I avoid it mostly these days. Bad things happen to bad people or good people or something happens to somebody, aw heck just don't do it much no more.:behindsofa:

wyntrout
02-04-2010, 06:16 PM
I just got back from grocery shopping and I didn't see a long line of people with torches and pitchforks... or tar and feathers ready!
Man, it isn't like I sit down and study it like it's a microscope... or use it for a bong without unloading it. Yeah, just a quick glance -- that's all it takes. You never know when the first Kahr might decide to spontaneously discharge.... <a little X-Files music> I did say it's not for everybody and we talk all of the time about how Kahrs will only fire if you pull the trigger. I trust that as the gospel.
Oh, I like the toilet paper to come out over the top and hang in front. I also like to use the LID and close that on the toilet... it's there for a reason. I believe in the look before you leap concept... especially to see if there are sufficient supplies available... within reach.:D
Wynn:behindsofa:

Bawanna', the last I saw of Mr. Bill, was in a commercial where he was blown out of a window on a high-rise and fell onto the windshield of a car. There he was stuck looking through the window as the driver engaged the windshield wiper... "Oh no!....":eek:

jwr
02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry Wynn, I lump myself into the "don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot" group.

And although from time to time I may end up on someone else's list of things they'd like to shoot, I have managed to keep myself off my own personal list of things I'd like to shoot :D

wyntrout
02-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Sorry Wynn, I lump myself into the "don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot" group.

And although from time to time I may end up on someone else's list of things they'd like to shoot, I have managed to keep myself off my own personal list of things I'd like to shoot :D

I firmly believe in that as well, and I didn't point a gun at anyone or anything. I've done some wild and crazy things in my 63 1/2 years or so, but this isn't one of those things. I guess it's like the "Don't ask, Don't tell policy", though. What you do in the privacy of your own home... or in Las Vegas... stays there, or should.
Dang, I nearly knocked over my wine glass as I was trying to pour some more to take my medications with. Sometimes I just can't help using a dangling participle. It become too stilted to try to avoid that quite often.
Wynn:p

ltxi
02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Once a round is in battery position or chambered, when I want to make sure that the gun is loaded, I point the muzzle toward the best light source and look down the barrel -- finger off the trigger, of course. I don't want to pull the slide back and possibly leave it a bit out of position. Besides, it's a comforting sight -- that nice little hollow point waiting to perform its duty.
I can see a lot of surprised faces.:eek:
And ripley16 said "This method also serves as a sort of press check too. If the round is gone, the mag empty, then your pistol is loaded... no doubt about it." Unless... CRS has kicked in and you think "Dang, did I just put an empty magazine in?"
Wynn:D

I have a story that, given this post, I can't help but share.

As far as I can remember, I have voluntarily looked down the barrel of a loaded handgun I was holding just once!!

It was 1977 and the gun was a favored and much used/carried/fired original Charter Arms Undercover with a maybe 2.5# trigger in sa mode. At the time, I was mostly into revolvers, firing single action, and would often ride the hammer with my left thumb to automatically recock the gun as it recovered from recoil. For whatever reason, something hadn't felt right, mechanically, in the follow-up after firing the second or third round in the cylinder so, in the most incredibly stupid act I have ever, ever committed in my entire life, I turned the gun around with my finger on the trigger and looked down the barrel as I wondered what might be wrong.

Found myself staring directly into the mouth of a Speer JSP handload that was maybe 2 oz of unregulated finger pressure away from exploding into my brain. I have forgotten this never, ever! To this day I have occasional sweat nightmares about it that even exceed those of the 'Nam and still have no idea at all why I'm not dead by my own stupid hand.

Whole point here...to wyntrout and anyone else I can maybe reach out and touch....don't ever, ever do something anything this utterly stupid.

wyntrout
02-05-2010, 02:36 AM
I haven't done that, but I've done my share of stupid things, too. Someday I might share some of those with you.
I just gave up the soapbox on another thread and really need a little shuteye. :typing:
Wynn:)

zena
02-05-2010, 04:23 AM
It`s good that you do #2
#2 is what I do
It keeps you safe the whole night through

We have a budding Dr. Seuss with us!

Looking down the barrel of a loaded gun!? I had to do my Three Stooges Curly impression..slapping my forehead and wiping my hand down my face...several times in disbelief. I won't go there! But I do have to commend the crew for not breaking down into all-out mean spirited attacks on this thread. We all have a "stupid thing" closet and it's good to know people feel a little safe sharing those without nuclear fall out. Love you guys.

getsome
02-05-2010, 11:25 AM
OK since we are telling on ourselves, here is the latest dumb a%s thing I did and it just HAD to be with my wife in the car!!! I was second in line behind a car driven by a senior citizen (blue hair) in the turn lane in an intersection and the light turned red and she started backing up which was ok, there was room but I noticed that she left it in reverse because her back up lights were still on....I just knew when the turn arrow changed to green she would hit the gas and back into me....I backed up as much as I could and started blowing the horn and yelling at her to put it into drive...I went on a tirade about how they should take older drivers off the road and how could someone be so stupid as to leave a car in reverse at a stop light...Well the turn arrow changed to green and she put her car in drive and went on through the intersection...I said thank God the old buzzard didnt back into me and hit the gas and backed right up into a mail truck behind me....Yep I forgot that I had backed up and didn't put my car back into drive....My wife was laughing so hard I thought her eyeballs were going to pop out...Needless to say I'll never hear the end of this...So can anybody top that??????:eek:

jeep45238
02-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, this one time, at band camp......nevermind :)