PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying with a Kahr under LEOSA.

Dogman
09-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Does anyone else qualify with a Kahr under LEOSA?
My PM9 is one of the two guns I qualify with under LEOSA yearly. I prefer to carry the PM9 when we travel out of state, due to it's size and weight.

retiredbuck
09-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I havn't qualified with my E9 but I will. My last qualification was just 2 weeks ago with an issue glock 17. Retired Officers are only required to qualify once a year so it will be a while.

Dframe
09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
My last qualification was April and the CW40 was there.

DarrellR
09-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not quite there yet but two of my already retired buddies have qualified this past year with their Kahrs (P9 and PM9). When my time comes I'll definitely be shooting my PM9, if I don't have one of the 45's by then.

badge4436
09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
I qualify with my PM9 for LEOSA yearly (retired). No sweat!

yukonb
09-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I qualify with a PM9 yearly with no problems. This Year I also qualified with my LCP.

OLD SOLDIER
09-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Our Dept. doesn't recoginze the Kahr as an authorized weapon to carry on or off duty. I have an early model blued P9 that I keep at home. It is a good weapon, just not authorized by our powers that be. Our Dept. has almost 2,000 officers.

Dogman
09-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Our Dept. doesn't recognize the Kahr as an authorized weapon to carry on or off duty. I have an early model blued P9 that I keep at home. It is a good weapon, just not authorized by our powers that be. Our Dept. has almost 2,000 officers.

Has your dept. said why they don't recognize Kahr's? If you're still active, your dept. may well be able to tell you which firearm you can carry under dept. policy. As for retirees, 926C speaks of the "same type" of firearm that can be carried by the retiree, not make or model.
How this was explained to me was if you qualify with a semi-auto pistol, you can carry any semi-auto pistol. Same with revolvers. I know some departments have said they don't recognize certain firearms or calibers,which I don't understand since the dept. is under no liability for qualifing a retiree. Of course it may not be worth it to push the issue. JMO

Norfdet
10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Not retired yet (18 years in) but my back-up and off-duty is a PM9, however I would be hard pressed if I were retired to NOT have my PM9 with me. It's the 21st century j-frame (for those of us old enough to remember those!):biggrin1:

On a side note; my BUG for years was a j-frame which was kept until it was replaced by my PM9

Dogman
10-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Not retired yet (18 years in) but my back-up and off-duty is a PM9, however I would be hard pressed if I were retired to NOT have my PM9 with me. It's the 21st century j-frame (for those of us old enough to remember those!):biggrin1:

On a side note; my BUG for years was a j-frame which was kept until it was replaced by my PM9

I carried a S&W 342 as a backup and off duty for years and after I retired, until I bought my PM9 in 2005. The thing about the PM9 is it's small, lightweight but yet I don't feel like I'm giving up anything because of it's size.
One thing I really liked right away was the 7 rounds and a extra mag. in the pocket vs. 5 rounds.

pokey074
10-11-2009, 11:56 PM
I used to carry a S&W J-frame as a BUG at my old department. My new department has a different qual course (same as for full-sized duty guns) and I couldn't qualify with my J-frame. Switched to a PM9 and have no problems qualifying now.

Longitude Zero
11-27-2009, 08:45 PM
My department requires you to qualify with secondary/back ups out to 25 yards. My CW45 prints at 2" if I do my part.

Chuck54
12-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Qualified "possible" with my PM9 and down one with a G30sf

I like my "little" gun a lot

97trakin
12-17-2009, 03:06 PM
My department requires you to qualify with secondary/back ups out to 25 yards. My CW45 prints at 2" if I do my part.
Hello all.
Same here out to 25yrds. I usually shoot a 100 with my BUG/offduty CW-9. She's a shooter ;).

jocko
12-17-2009, 03:11 PM

2" at 25 yards is awesome. As much as I shoot even I think I would have a hard time putting all my rounds in the FBI "Q" target at 25 yards. I really commend any shooter if he can keep um allin that target at 25 yards with a Kahr PM9 or CW series even.

hal931
12-30-2009, 03:26 PM
hello all. my primary weapon while working is a glock 21 with 230 gr gold dots.while my bsack up carried in an outer vest cover is a kel tec p11. off duty ill either carry my sig p239 or kahr pm45- which i havent had for a while dure to sending it off to have it coated in the ionbond finish.

CeltKnight
01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, I have 4 years and 99 days to go (but who's counting, right? :D ), but my PM40 is definately one I'm thinking of doing the retired qual course with. My department hasn't specified a "retired" course yet and most opinions are we'll use the standard 50 round duty course. In the end it'll depend on what our Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission says we have to use.

My PM40 has express sights so my groups won't be quite as impressive from the 25 yard line, but hey, so long as I have the paper saying "qualified" right? ;)

Between my PM40 and my Kel-Tec P3AT I think I'll be covered for retirement plans. Of course, knowing me, I might just show up on requalification day with a case full o'pistols. I tend to do that now on BUG/OD day. :cool:

JoeMB
06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
I have quite some time before I retire, 22 years, or who knows when the contracts change again. I have to qualify with my off duties every year and for the past two it has been a XD40, sub comp and I have no issues this year I decided that I needed something smaller for the summer and just qualified with a P380, which after some tweaking today is running great! I too have to shoot out to 25 yards and had no issues hitting the CM-5 with the P380, missed one round out of the shadded area, shoulder hit. But with a 2.5 inch barrell and not a whole lot of rounds through it I can't complain!

chovyman
08-28-2010, 12:08 PM
we qualify quaterly and yearly when i retire in 18 months, I have a pm45 and p380 with no problems!

Obiwan
08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I thought that you only had to qual with the "type" of weapon under LEOSA - semi auto or revolver. One semi auto qual is good for all semi's. So if I qual with my P2000, then my K40 should be fine. Am I correct?:confused:

Dogman
08-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I thought that you only had to qual with the "type" of weapon under LEOSA - semi auto or revolver. One semi auto qual is good for all semi's. So if I qual with my P2000, then my K40 should be fine. Am I correct?:confused:

It is the "type", semi-auto or revolver.
I carry what I qualify with, G26 or PM9, but on vacation if we're in a state that doesn't recognize Indiana's license I'll also carry the wife's .380 until she can again.

oldjarhead
10-15-2010, 06:27 AM
You are correct Obiwan. The law only says the handgun you carry be the same type. I qualified this past June with a Glock m23, but I don't always carry it. I rotate my carry, depending on the weather. Here in central Texas, my warm weather carry is my Kimber Ultra Covert, .45acp. I plan to carry my new Kahr 9094N PM9, once it is broken in. My cold weather carry is the Glock, or my Sig Sauer P229 all blue Gen 2, in .357 sig. Gold Dots in all. I am retired, so I am not as restricted.

viclava
10-25-2010, 09:13 AM
18 years and still plugging along. Carry Glock 21 on duty, but carry my CW45 with night sights off duty. I'm required to qualify with my back-up/off-duty only once a year, but I shoot it almost every qualification. There sure isn't many options for holsters and this gun. If anyone has any suggestions, it will be much appreciated.

If anyone cares, We carry the Winchester Ranger +P 230 GR. SXT, formerly known as Black Talons. I also carry these in my Kahr.

Cheers,

SL

Bawanna
10-25-2010, 02:32 PM
We also carry the Winchester SXT's. I think they chose it mostly cause it seems to be the hardest to get locally. It's on the state contract also which might be why you carry it as well at our dept.
Why all the state contract ammo comes from California has always made me laugh.
What side the mountains you on there viclava? I'm in Monroe, for how long remains to be seen. Lots of funny things happening around here lately.

Nystagmus
03-26-2011, 03:06 PM
My Dept. just started issuing PM9's as on-duty back up guns. If/when you are issued one, you are required to carry it.

p.s. I love it !!!

jocko
03-26-2011, 03:30 PM
My Dept. just started issuing PM9's as on-duty back up guns. If/when you are issued one, you are required to carry it.

p.s. I love it !!!

is a big score for kahr, IMO.:israel:

Suthrncop66
07-09-2011, 03:46 AM
qual every year with it

DeaconKC
02-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Qualified 2 weeks ago with my PF9 for off duty. Gotta love those nice sights.

Richardh
02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Under LEOSA-retired this sums up what I researched: "In addition to carrying the photographic identification issued by the agency for which they were employed or were separated, the qualified retired law enforcement officer must also carry documentation which certifies that they have met, within the most recent twelve month period, the active duty law enforcement standards for qualification for a firearm of the same type as the one they intend to carry.
The standard the qualified retired law enforcement officer must meet is that of his former agency, that of the State in which he resides, or in the absence of State standards—or the recognition thereof—the standards of any law enforcement agency in the State in which the qualified retired law enforcement officer and the certified firearms instructor resides.
This document which certifies that the qualified retired law enforcement officer has met the standards described above must be issued by the retired officer’s former agency, by the State in which he lives, or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State.
In Iowa the agency which sets the standard (ILEA) told me they did not care what you qualified with, they saw no need to qual with multiple pistols/revolvers.
I've used G23 and G36. Did not have a Kahr at the time.
Richard

The quoted text came from http://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

dp509
12-15-2012, 02:10 AM

The same for me. I also have 18 years in. I love my PM9. I have my S & W 442 up for sale.

dp509
12-15-2012, 02:12 AM

p.s. I love it !!!

Great Gun, you will love it.

I carry mine in either a pocket holster, off duty, or a galco ankle holster on duty.