PDA

View Full Version : Throated Barrel

Bob Landry
02-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Would someone please show a good closeup photo of a throated barrel as opposed to one stock out of the box? Thanks

jeep45238
02-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Generally this refers to a 1911 style handgun, not a action like a Kahr or Glock. My Kahr's have already more or less had this done from the factory.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pistols/barrel.jpg
Original 1911 GI barrel on the left, "throated" in the middle, Colt's current setup is on the right.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Kimber_ProCDPII/MVC-015F.jpg

http://38super.net/Extra%20Figures/feed-ramps.jpg

It's essentially a funnel in the end of the barrel that gives less support to the case mouth, but may increase the feeding reliability in a finicky pistol if nothing else (like mags, springs, or the shooter) are at fault.

Bob Landry
02-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm familiar with 1911s. I was wanting to see it in the Kahr, point being, Clylinder & Slide offer a package for too much money that includes throating the barrel(needed?) and polishing the feed ramp(Dosn't need it), Trigger job(Is it needed if it already has Elite trigger parts), and an 11 degree crown( needed for a carry gun with a 3" barrel?). The price for their "packages" just skyrocket from there. I mean, really.. How much should you spend on a $400 carry pistol that's going to be "excercised" a few times a year at the range? Really looking forward to a tear-down, cleaning and range test. I've heard good things about Kahr and I wanted a small carry pistol that wasn't a mouse gun. The price was right. A defense gun doesn't have to be pretty, just reliable.

jocko
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm familiar with 1911s. I was wanting to see it in the Kahr, point being, Clylinder & Slide offer a package for too much money that includes throating the barrel(needed?) and polishing the feed ramp(Dosn't need it), Trigger job(Is it needed if it already has Elite trigger parts), and an 11 degree crown( needed for a carry gun with a 3" barrel?). The price for their "packages" just skyrocket from there. I mean, really.. How much should you spend on a $400 carry pistol that's going to be "excercised" a few times a year at the range? Really looking forward to a tear-down, cleaning and range test. I've heard good things about Kahr and I wanted a small carry pistol that wasn't a mouse gun. The price was right. A defense gun doesn't have to be pretty, just reliable.

cylinder and slide, (been there done that) a waste of 90%of your money. Throating a kahr (and I did it with C & S package) is a total waste of money. Kahrs do not need throated and you will see zero benefit from it also. C & S throating is at the end of the chamber and the beginning of the rifliling which is what most throating jobs are also. Personally I would have called those 1911's barrel photos as a feed ramp job, not throating..

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Removing material just shy of the rifling and not touching the rest of the chamber simply does nothing, except possibly allow the brass to expand like a funnel at the case mouth and become a major pain/hinderence in extraction.

Only the last photo has a feed ramp visible, as it shows a drastic difference in regards to throating.

I took C&S stipling, put the pattern on my old CW40, and went at it with a soldering iron. The gun is not a target model, and is defensive - everything else just makes your wallet lighter with a diminishing return to your dollar. I WOULD like to see my trigger travel reduced to approximately 1/4" and maintain a 4-6 pound pull though - and I don't believe that C&S is capable of doing that.

gj47
02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Jeep has the correct description with barrel throating. I don't see any need in doing that modification unless the barrel has some sharp edges that were not taken care of at the factory. People who improperly "throat" their barrels remove too much metal from the feed ramp area causing a unsupported case issue or feeding problems. A proper throat job will have a very slight rounding of the egde of the feed ramp as it enters into the chamber as well. The proper description on "throating" can be located in Jerry Kuhnhausen's book The Colt 45 Automatic on page 130.