PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Purchasing Another Kahr

tmf21
02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone glad I found this place!

I’ve owned a Kahr P9 for over a year and I absolutely love it. I picked it up about 8 months after I purchased a Glock 22 and took the Glock to numerous tactical shooting courses. I wanted to retake the courses using a different gun and my trusty P9 has not let me down.

In all honesty I would have to say at this point my Glock is a tad more reliable, but I would not put that as absolute. Using Winchester 185g target loads my Glock has been flawless, however when I tried Remington 185g ball ammo I had a couple of failures.

My Kahr has had about 2 more failures than my Glock. Overall we’re talking about 4 failures after 1000+ rounds for my Kahr and 2 failures for my Glock after 2000+ rounds fired.

I broke in my Kahr with 150 rounds of 115g FMJ at the range before I took it to training. My Glock I took directly to training without a break in period. The training courses I take are day long events and you fire anywhere from 400 to 800 rounds on a tactical range where you oftentimes are moving around.

I would not rule out error on my part for the failures – due to limp wristing or other operator errors.

Now that both my Glock and Kahr are broken in I’ve begun to explore different types of hollow points. So far I just used Remington Golden Sabers in both guns and so far my Glock and Kahr has performed flawlessly. I have some Remington JHP, Winchester JHP, Federal JHP and Federal Low Recoil JHP I'm going to try in both guns to see how they function.

I did noticed that after 800 rounds I have to be forceful with the slide when loading a new magazine with my Kahr on the first round. This is not a big deal as I know what I have to do and continual practice has ingrained that into my muscle memory.

My instructors tell me that I should be able to know without counting or looking to know when I need to change magazines by just feel of the slide action. That’s going to be my next challenge to master.

Anyway I’m now looking for a compact .40 cal. I just got a Springfield Arms XD 9mm and would like to get a compact .40 cal for my next training go around using both.

I was really interested in the CZ 2075 Rami. I liked its style and I’m not someone who sticks to just one or 2 manufacturers. I've been fortunate to have shot quite a few guns from many different manufacturers over the years and I've usually found something I've liked and disliked over the years.

I’ve heard mixed reviews about the .40 cal version of the 2075 Rami. Its seems solid in the 9mm model, but I've heard varying things about the .40 cal model. So now I’m taking a serious look at a Kahr K40, TP40, T40 and K40. I don’t want anything smaller as I will definitely be shooting 700+ rounds in a few hours time and a .40 cal S&W in a smaller frame could be too much for my hands.

There are other possible contenders, but I really like the thin form factor of the Kahr.

sharpetop
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM
My K40 has been flawless and I shoot it nearly as well as my G23. That said, if I were shooting tactical classes/competion, I would probably go with a longer sight radius. The T40 or TP40 would fit the bill if I were using a Kahr.

JFootin
02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
The all metal K40 is the better choice when shooting 700+ rounds very quickly.

tmf21
02-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks both for the useful info. I love the wood grips on the T40. The K40 looks sweet too. I did see a comment about the snap of the .40. I'm fine with the .40 in my Glock and barely notice it anymore as I shot it quite a bit and quite hard.

I've stuck to regular full sized guns in the past and the P9 was my first foray into the world of smaller framed pistols. Have absolutely no regrets about the P9. Its my fav of my 3 guns-although my XD 9mm Tactical is a new acquisition and I'm just getting familiar with it.

How would you compare the Kahr .40 S&W's to the 45ACP models? I had a 1911 a while back and fired 1200 or so rounds out of it. I also had some S&W 357's and shot a thousand or so rounds of 357 loads up to +p+ these too were larger frame guns-686 and model 57 class.

hss.strat
02-18-2012, 08:09 PM
My .02 ... If price is no issue then go with the T40. I've been drooling over it for awhile now but can't justify spending the cash. Larger sight radius, larger magazine capacity, and more weight to dampen the muzzle flip from the .40 round than the K40. BTW you can get the same wooden grips on your K40 for an extra ~$60.

wyntrout
02-18-2012, 09:13 PM
I prefer the rubber grips, but the T-model just has too long a grip for me. It depends on what you want the gun for... CCW... too large for me... range or other use, the T40 might work. I like the size of my P40. The grip length is fine, but a tad longer for CCW concealment than the PM. I put the PM9-type metal base on it for concealment and have the 7-round extended-grip mags for the range and carry reloads. I did have to use a 15/16" neoprene O-ring to keep the metal base from pinching me when firing... happened a few times!:eek: 1/8" was too big... caused binding of the magazine.

Wynn:)

Tank
02-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks both for the useful info. I love the wood grips on the T40. The K40 looks sweet too. I did see a comment about the snap of the .40. I'm fine with the .40 in my Glock and barely notice it anymore as I shot it quite a bit and quite hard.

I've stuck to regular full sized guns in the past and the P9 was my first foray into the world of smaller framed pistols. Have absolutely no regrets about the P9. Its my fav of my 3 guns-although my XD 9mm Tactical is a new acquisition and I'm just getting familiar with it.

How would you compare the Kahr .40 S&W's to the 45ACP models? I had a 1911 a while back and fired 1200 or so rounds out of it. I also had some S&W 357's and shot a thousand or so rounds of 357 loads up to +p+ these too were larger frame guns-686 and model 57 class.

I have a T40 and you would be fine if you shoot the lighter Glock .40. Like hss.strat said the weight of the T40 tames the .40 S&W snap. I know everyone has a differnt threshold but the T40 IMO is a joy to shoot. Concealing it is a differnt story. Mine runs great without issues and is accurate, also if there were a swimsuit issue for handguns I think it would be found on the cover.

Sounds like our tastes run some what alike, I like the full frames too. I made the mistake of looking at (and fondaling) the XDM 9 with the 4.5" barrel and also the 5.5" competion model. One of these might be my next score.

Bkahrfull
02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
I have 700 rounds through my K40 and not one FTF or even a hiccup!!

jocko
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I get hic cups when I drink beer, but never with my Kahrs.:cheer2:

jeepster09
04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
:tongue: I have always liked c cups myself...just sayin :w00t:

Kahrdriver64
05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Definitely give the K40 or even the T40 a try. The all metal versions in .40 are very manageable. To me they feel very balanced with a full mag in them. I have been shooting 155gr raniers for range and load the same in XTP for defensive loads. The kahr 40's tend to be a bit snappier compared to the few glock 40's I have shot, but still quite manageable. I'm experimenting with the 180gr in the same formula to see if there is much difference with a definite subsonic load.

Barth
05-03-2012, 08:45 AM
My MK40 is very manageable to shoot.
But I've never fired 700 rounds in one hour!

My Sig Sauer P239/357, with rubber Hogue wrap around grips,
has practically no recoil. It's nothing short of a dream to shoot.
40 would feel like a nine in that gun.
And I could shoot all day long till the cows came home.
And then shoot the cows - LOL!

My big P220/45, with the same wrap around rubber Hogue grips,
is the same way.

The alloy frame P220 does buck with +P 230 gr rounds.
But I'm hopeful my new 5.10" dual ported Storm Lake barrel will take care of that.

Crack the cases of ammo open and fire at will.