PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Problem/Fix??

500KV
02-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I've got 2 CW40 Kahr mags.
One fed 100% and the other one started a FTFeed about 3 out of the 6 rounds.

Kahr said they would swap the bad one out but thought I'd play with it first.

I removed the spring and reversed it, IOW top to bottom, reinstalled and now it runs 100 % as well.:confused::confused:

Being totally at a loss as to why this would make a difference, I solicit your input/ideas and wonder if anyone has experienced this problem/fix before?

These mag springs, as well as others I've seen, have a slight spiral set built in and always wondered why and if that might make reversing the spring work better in the mag body?

Anyway, learn something new nearly every day.

Vinikahr
02-04-2010, 07:00 AM
I had some issues with my CW9 and PF9 magazines and they were resolved by turning the spring around. Go figure for an easy fix.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/avatars/handk49031.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1237843354

getsome
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Hello all, I have a CW40 with no problems so far.....Just for fun and to be sure the magazine was clean I took mine apart and I have to say thats the hardest magazine I ever tried to put back together....I think I was cursing in tongues before I got the baseplate back on...Is there an easier way perhaps...I used a small screwdriver through the witness holes to hold back some of the tension but still had a tough time getting the baseplate on...I'm reluctant to ever try that again unless I grow another hand sometime.....

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Spring directions DO make a difference in guns. Heck, the mag catch spring on 1911 is directional - found out after I replaced all of my springs, and now my mag cach wouldn't catch the mag. Switch the spring around, and worked perfectly. Most that run a recoil spring open on one end (1911's here) can't be re-assembled without reversing the spring.

500KV
02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I used a small screwdriver through the witness holes to hold back some of the tension but still had a tough time getting the baseplate on..
That's the best way I've found to do it.
It does test your hand dexterity doesn't it?

jocko
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
That's the best way I've found to do it.
It does test your hand dexterity doesn't it?

takng a glock mag apart, "if u can"...makes the kahrs look like a peace of cake. IMO

500KV
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Glock mags are a pain.
I made a "tool" out of a big nail that works pretty well.
They sell a fancy tool with a handle on it now.

Banjojack
02-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Nt sure about mags for the 40, but the -9 springs are slightly different on each end. The end where the factory places the follower is bent to match the follower and the other end sticks out some. Reversing would make the spring think it is longer and thus have more compression. You would probably get better results with the Wolff +5 springs.

500KV
02-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Yeah, bad springs and followers can cause a lot of gun problems can't they?
I've got 3 of the Wolff springs inbound.
Apparently the same springs are used in 9mm-6round and .40cal-5round mag's.
These springs are the same on both ends.

wyntrout
02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
When I had a Para P12, I got Wolff springs for the magazines because I was worried about carrying the mags full and the springs getting weak. With the stronger Wolff springs the factory mags looked like the plastic base plates were going to blow any second. The base plates could be backed off easily, too. I'm still unimpressed by the Kahr magazines, which supposedly have Wolff springs.
Wynn:confused:

500KV
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
When I had a Para P12, I got Wolff springs for the magazines because I was worried about carrying the mags full and the springs getting weak. With the stronger Wolff springs the factory mags looked like the plastic base plates were going to blow any second. The base plates could be backed off easily, too. I'm still unimpressed by the Kahr magazines, which supposedly have Wolff springs.
Wynn:confused:
This is their blurb about Kahr mag. springs.

"Magazine Springs for Kahr pistols are available in +5% extra power to assure feeding in pistols with weakened or broken springs."

Just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

jocko
02-09-2010, 01:57 AM
I use um exclusively, I like them. can I tell any difference , NO 5% isn't much but it is better than 5% less..