PDA

View Full Version : What's ur Ammo bag/can.

3one5
02-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Just want to know what u use to keep ur ammo in. I'm need something to put my ammo in the boxes they come in are bulky. They do keep the ammo silent when traveling. So I'm looking for something that will hold 200-500 rounds of 9mm and be Silint when I travel with it. So what do u use.

yqtszhj
02-19-2012, 08:47 PM
I have an old 50mm ammo can that a coast guard guy gave me. The paint was bad and it was rusting so I sanded it and painted it "explosive" red. I figured that if someone tried to walk off with it at the range I would see it.

I can put all the ammo in it that I plan to shoot in a day at the range.

chrish
02-19-2012, 08:51 PM
i've been buying these water tight plastic boxes at walmart, on the camping gear aisle. they are around $9, come in blue and red and clip shut with a rubber gasket. i can get over 1000 rounds of .22lr in one. never counted 9mm, but i think i've dumped 2 100round bulk boxes in there w/ some room to spare, so i'd guess around 250 rounds of 9mm, maybe more.

putting 2 of them into my 5.11 range bag (the smaller one) is a bit tight, but they fit ok.

silent? sorta. i mean, just sitting in the seat of the car w/ it full of ammo...i've never noticed it. but i will say once you get down to the last 50-75 rounds, then you definitely hear the metal-vs-plastic rattle when you carry it. so just keep it full up :-)

i think alot of folks use regular old mil ammo boxes, but those were too heavy and bulky for my taste.

yote
02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I put my boxed ammo in military 50 cal ammo cans. Durable, roomy and waterproof. Never reallly paid much attention as to how silent they might be.

3one5
02-20-2012, 06:34 AM
i think alot of folks use regular old mil ammo boxes, but those were too heavy and bulky for my taste.[/QUOTE]
They are to bulky for me also unless my range was out the back door. Witch if you are that lucky I would have a hard time tring to keep on of those any where near full. I mean how many thousand rounds of 9mm would it take to fill one of them$$

Tinman507
02-20-2012, 07:23 AM
I like these from Cabelas. A lot of times I can get a deal on them with an ammo special. It's not the greatest ammo usually but it's feedable. Last one I got had 150 rounds of Herters 9mm FMJ.

http://www.cabelas.com/ammunition-cases-holders-cabelas-dry-storage-ammunition-box-1.shtml

voodoo54
03-23-2012, 08:35 PM
.50 cal ammo cans. Cheap and waterproof. Can't go wrong with that.

Thunder71
03-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Lock and Lock containers.

dirty_sanchez
03-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I like the 30 cal ammo cans. A FULL 50 cal. can is pretty darned heavy.

I do have a roughly half and half mix of the 50's and the 30's though.

Dirty

Chowser
03-25-2012, 02:32 AM
?? when traveling to the range, I keep my ammo in my magazines!
if I run out, i go to the next room and grab ammo as needed.

:-p

ok, now, if I had to go somewhere other than work to shoot, I'd keep my ammo in my magazines (I have at least a dozen mags for each gun). At home, I have my ammo stored in old 30 cal ammo cans that I used to keep tennis balls that smelled like drugs in for k9 training. done with that, and was told to keep the ammo cans. so my bullets smell like weed!

it's not silent with the ammo can, but i'm not worried about keeping quiet.

chrish
03-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Do you get the munchies after going shooting?

yqtszhj
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
No but I'm so relaxed and my blood pressure is so low if I've been long range shooting that all the stress from work and the world is gone. There's something about breathing and muscle control that just takes you to another level. :hippie:

Then comes that first darn phone call from work because something's going on. I used to practice relaxation at work by imagining that I was shooting long range. Then I thought what if someone walks into the office when I'm getting ready to pull that imaginary trigger. Then here would come security. :(

CrazyLarry
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
1500rds of Winchester 9mm white box will fit into a 50cal ammo can. This weights quite a bit and is not easily carried. ;)

50rd boxes of 9mm from Fed/Rem/Winchester can be stacked 6 wide and 4 tall, 24 boxes but this depends on the boxes... so at most 1200.

40s&w often comes in 50rd boxes ment for 45acp, and those do not stack as easily.

PYROhafe
04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Old ammo can sanded down n painted bright metallic blue! Wanted to make sure no one walks off with it. Don't ever have more than 500 rnds (I'm poor) so all my ammo, eyes n ears fit in the same can.

CrazyLarry
04-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Old ammo can sanded down n painted bright metallic blue! Wanted to make sure no one walks off with it. Don't ever have more than 500 rnds (I'm poor) so all my ammo, eyes n ears fit in the same can.

The 1500rds in that can of mine were pruchased back when it was $9.95/100rds ... every paycheck I would purchase $50 in ammo and stash it away... this was back in 2003 when I got my first Beretta 92fs when I traded a Macbook for it. :D

Barth
04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
One Saw Box and three 50 caliber surplus ammo cans.

Mattias44
04-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I really like keeping loose ammo in those clear, flat tackle box containers. I found some at the surplus sales store at work (large aircraft manufacturing supplier) for $3/box. They were used to hold loose fasteners before I bought them. They stack easily and one holds enough 9mm for a range trip.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

chuckt
04-18-2012, 01:20 PM
My range bag is an old Army tool bag. Big enough for 2 or 3 guns, ammo in boxes and ears and eyes. Also have a couple of big zip lock bags for brass.

DKD
04-18-2012, 01:41 PM
If I want quite and long term waterproof storage, just go and get a good vacuum sealer and seal up packets of 50 or 100 rounds in clear freezer proof bags. Packed that way is far less bulky and will preserve the ammo almost indefinately. Then drop those puppies into your ammo can or range bag. You can even put a born on date on the food saver bags for later reference.

CrazyLarry
04-19-2012, 12:51 PM
For a range bag, I picked up one of the MidwayUSA ones last month and I am loving it.

Big, good materials, lots of USEFUL pockets, fold out flaps, and holds my shoot-n-see targets in one of the external pockets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939259680/midwayusa-competition-range-bag

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/259/259680.jpg

Its $45 but I had outgrown my Allen competition range bag. I bring 3-5 guns with me along with ammo and targets. Having the extra pouch for picking up my spent cases is also a nice feature. I keep it "stocked" with 2 boxes of ammo for each major caliber and it works well.

MPosey
04-19-2012, 01:24 PM
I've got an ishot bag that is prob 12 years old. Still looks new and works great.