PDA

View Full Version : CW9 Night Sight problem report on another Forum

jwr
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Lancer, over on the Sig Forum reported the following in a thread regarding the CW45:

"put the Trijicon night sights on my CW9.

Not very good news in ways:

The front sight on mine tied up the gun and kept it from going into battery. The tiny screw was hitting the top of the barrel. Please note I have access to a well equiped gunsmithing shop and a professional smith.

When we just tightened down the screw it did not match the recess in the barrel so we increased the dimple under the sight, then the screw would go into the sight but the sight did not fit flush or when it was pushed down it tied up the gun.

Next step was to shorten the screw boss on the sight but then the screw bottomed out and still was too long and tied up the gun.

At this point, thankfully, my gunsmith friend lost the screw http://sigforum.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I was prepared....JB Weld to fill the threaded screw boss and the slide dimple under the sight. Once it set up I filed it all flush to the inside of the slide.

My CW9 now has it's night sights and runs 100% again. Your gun may be different but in these days of CNC machines it may not be any different."

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or seen one reported.

The thread is here. (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7760077002) Lot of good things being said about Kahrs over there which is good to see.

getsome
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Problems like this make me glad I sent mine to Kahr to install the sights....I know if I tried to do it it would end up being a problem....Don't know if anyone else has this issue but I'm basically unlucky...If there are 1000 items on the shelf and 999 being perfect and only 1 with a problem or missing a part, guess which one I will pick up, even reaching to the back of the shelf to be sure I get an unopened one....Yep thats right, happens every time!!!

In-Yo-Grill
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Problems like this make me glad I sent mine to Kahr to install the sights....I know if I tried to do it it would end up being a problem....Don't know if anyone else has this issue but I'm basically unlucky...If there are 1000 items on the shelf and 999 being perfect and only 1 with a problem or missing a part, guess which one I will pick up, even reaching to the back of the shelf to be sure I get an unopened one....Yep thats right, happens every time!!!

We have a guy here at work who lives under the same cloud. We call it the "Matt" factor.

7plus1
02-06-2010, 12:26 PM
jwr,

I also encountered a problem with the front night site installation on my CW9 As stated, the front screw was not recessing into the slide enough to clear the barrel. I filed down the screw head to allow clearence and all is good. This is the fix that worked for me
Keep up the great work,
D.

gb6491
02-06-2010, 11:49 PM
I wonder if this is peculiar to the CW9, as I had no such problem installing the front sight on my CW45.
Regards,
Greg

jocko
02-07-2010, 06:34 AM
people should definitel let kahr know about this.

KSouthpaw
02-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Lancer, over on the Sig Forum reported the following in a thread regarding the CW45:

"put the Trijicon night sights on my CW9.

Not very good news in ways:

The front sight on mine tied up the gun and kept it from going into battery. The tiny screw was hitting the top of the barrel. Please note I have access to a well equiped gunsmithing shop and a professional smith.

When we just tightened down the screw it did not match the recess in the barrel so we increased the dimple under the sight, then the screw would go into the sight but the sight did not fit flush or when it was pushed down it tied up the gun.

Next step was to shorten the screw boss on the sight but then the screw bottomed out and still was too long and tied up the gun.

At this point, thankfully, my gunsmith friend lost the screw http://sigforum.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I was prepared....JB Weld to fill the threaded screw boss and the slide dimple under the sight. Once it set up I filed it all flush to the inside of the slide.

My CW9 now has it's night sights and runs 100% again. Your gun may be different but in these days of CNC machines it may not be any different."

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or seen one reported.

The thread is here. (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7760077002) Lot of good things being said about Kahrs over there which is good to see.

I'll be calling Kahr on Monday about this. Had the same issues with both my CW9's. First of all, the directions are incorrect, in that they say to remove AND install the rear sights from "Right to Left". I broke out the Digital Calipers to verify which side was tapered. So to anyone who actually reads the directions, disregard what Kahr has printed, and remove the rear sights from "Left to Right". Secondly, I made the mistake of not test fitting the front sight prior to putting on Loctite and found out after that the screw does not recess down far enough to allow the barrel to sit in the slide correctly. I couldn't get it to go into battery. I could not even get my slide on the frame, as the bottom of the feed ramp was catching on it. So long story short, I was able to heat up the screw, break the loctite and remove the front sight; but now the screw head is stripped. Hopefully Kahr will make this right.

Vincent
02-07-2010, 08:24 PM
The quoted post was mine. I posted about it again tonight here. As soon as I did someone else posted they had the same issue. This was really frustrating for me. The night sights were a Christmas present from my wife so that messes things up on one level:o:p:D

More importantly this is my every day carry gun. It is a GREAT little pistol and I am a very long Kahr owner. I have nothing bad to say about Kahr but this kit and the CW9 have issues.

pudly
02-07-2010, 10:24 PM
the directions are incorrect, in that they say to remove AND install the rear sights from "Right to Left". I broke out the Digital Calipers to verify which side was tapered. So to anyone who actually reads the directions, disregard what Kahr has printed, and remove the rear sights from "Left to Right".

Confirmed. I ran into the same thing. I had a local gunsmith install the sights. It was quite a hassle to install, but I'm glad I got them.

buck1978
09-14-2010, 01:04 PM
sorry to hijack the tread, and I have used the search, I was wondering if any knows if the new front night sight for the CW9 would fit the E9? Thanks for any help, I just bought a E9 used and would love to put night sights on it and was checking in to this before I had a Dovetail cut in it.

gb6491
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
sorry to hijack the tread, and I have used the search, I was wondering if any knows if the new front night sight for the CW9 would fit the E9? Thanks for any help, I just bought a E9 used and would love to put night sights on it and was checking in to this before I had a Dovetail cut in it.
I think it should be; Kahr lists the OEM front sight as a part unique to the CW Series/E9 in their parts list: http://www.kahr.com/DL/kahrpartslist.pdf
Regards,
Greg

buck1978
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
thank you very much, this will make doing this much easier

koishoes
11-10-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm lucky enough to have a great smith that I've been going to for a while that does a really swell sight job- last time I was in there he put Trijicons on my G17 for $10 and then gave me a free range pass so I could make sure they were dialed in. I will definitely have him do my K9, just deciding between the Meprolights and the Trijicons (I can't hit jack $h1t with combat sights).

Armson-OEG
05-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Just got my CW9 back due to offset primer strikes. They replaced the slide. And i had them install the nite sights. Upon arrival the front sight was sitting about 1/16" above the slide. the noticed it had only one screw. I pushed the sight down and it popped in flush. Then pulled up on front sight and it pulled back up. Called KAHR they said try to tighten screw, I did but was tight. When i tried to loosen it gave way real easy, too easy. Im thinking it may loosen and fall apart. So, the KAHR nite sights only use 1 screw, that appears to be pretty weak.........I would suggest some other vender for any nite sights as KAHR seem to have used generic front sites. I should have had them sent to me and installed them myself as i think i could have done a better job. I'll have to shoot it and hope it goes well.....My 2 cents

GMan

TucsonMTB
05-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey, Armson-OEG! I think it is worth another call to Kahr. Perhaps they had an inexperienced team member perform the sight install or were in a hurry and thought the new slide was ready to go when they received it from the factory.

In any event, a little more attention to this botched sight installation is required. So, you should give them the opportunity to make it right. Don't delay. Shooting is NOT going to make this issue better. ;)

Bawanna
05-11-2011, 10:46 AM
I agree. It's not right, they should have a chance to make it right if you can't fix it easily yourself like tightening. I believe they do use one screw and a post on the front but it should be solid when the screw is tightened down. I don't see how the front would lift up at all if the screw is even moderately tight. Something is broke.
Can you remove the screw and pull the sight off and see if it's cracked or something. I'm perplexed on this one.

jocko
05-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Just got my CW9 back due to offset primer strikes. They replaced the slide. And i had them install the nite sights. Upon arrival the front sight was sitting about 1/16" above the slide. the noticed it had only one screw. I pushed the sight down and it popped in flush. Then pulled up on front sight and it pulled back up. Called KAHR they said try to tighten screw, I did but was tight. When i tried to loosen it gave way real easy, too easy. Im thinking it may loosen and fall apart. So, the KAHR nite sights only use 1 screw, that appears to be pretty weak.........I would suggest some other vender for any nite sights as KAHR seem to have used generic front sites. I should have had them sent to me and installed them myself as i think i could have done a better job. I'll have to shoot it and hope it goes well.....My 2 cents

GMan

screw is plenty if on tight/right. How about putting alittle blue locktite on that screw/nut or most gun stores sell the purple locktite which is even alittle weaker and much easier if need be to get off.Ur original cw sight was just peened on, with no screw and they seem to hold. glocks I think have only one screw. Ur OK if it is done right...

Armson-OEG
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes i removed the front sight, it seemed ok, nothing broke. I think the screw doesnt tighten down enough. Cause even tight the front post still pulls up a bit, its better now that i tighten it. It just seems like a poor set up. I would have spec'd the front sight to be Mushroomed or staked on that post. The screw looks like someone took a dremel to it to debur or flatten the head to allow for barrel clearence. You all think it should go back to KAHR? They better pick up shipping both ways then.

Added: I did use Blue Locktite last night, going to let it dry a bit longer before i go pulling up on the front. I would have preferred plastic bosses/pegs rather than the 1 screw. I think it would have been more stable and stout that way. Kahr could have Spec'd it better in my opinon.

Added: When removed there was no sign of any locktite, The post for the screw was about flush with the Bottom of the countersunk hole the front was higher. The screw is tiny had mabe 5 -7 threads..Anyone know what size screw it is?

Added: The front sits almost flush with the slide. i can see light thru gap but its ok, not much of gap and only see it with light behind it. i have seen lots of other sites with minimal gap under sites. Its just not tight enough i guess to suck it down

Gordon

gb6491
05-11-2011, 11:30 AM
GMan,
Check and see if the end of the sight post that the screw goes into is flush with or slightly below the bottom of the hole in goes into. If it protrudes out of the hole, you will need to trim it down. You might also check if the screw is overly long. While you are at it, check that the bottom of the sight sits flush to the top of the slide with no gap. If there is a gap, it may be becuase of how the posts are shaped at their bases. If it is, you may need to countersink the holes a slight amount.
As the screw gave way easily when you tried to remove it makes me wonder if they used any Loctite on it. Do you see any evidence that they did? I advise you do use some when reinstalling the sight.

The screw looks like someone took a dremal to it to debur or flatten the head to allow for barrel clearence.
FWIW, I had to modify the hole where the screw post goes on my CW9:
http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=54961&postcount=27

Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Hard to say without seeing it how bad it really is. If you do send it back to Kahr you can send just the slide this trip and shipping would be cheap.

An email or phone call to Kahr to clarify whats going on might suffice. They might even send just a replacement sight so your not without.

TucsonMTB
05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
An email or phone call to Kahr to clarify whats going on might suffice. They might even send just a replacement sight so your not without.
Great suggestion from Bwannna.

Based on other people's reported experience, the sight as provided by the manufacturer (MeproLite?) is not a good fit out of the box and requires some minor gun smithing. You might be more qualified than the Kahr guys, who are really good at working on Kahr pistols, but probably less experienced installing post style sights from third parties. ;)

gb6491
05-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Great suggestion from Bwannna.

Based on other people's reported experience, the sight as provided by the manufacturer (MeproLite?) is not a good fit out of the box and requires some minor gun smithing. You might be more qualified than the Kahr guys, who are really good at working on Kahr pistols, but probably less experienced installing post style sights from third parties. ;)
The night sights that Kahr sells for the CW/CM/E series are Trijicon. I wish Meprolight would make some for these guns.
Regards,
Greg

hoytinak
05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Since this seems to have been a problem since they come out with the CW night sights and it's been a little while, has Kahr fixed this yet?

I'm about to start customizing my CW9 and would like to add night sights....after reading some of these stories I'm thinking I might be better off just milling a dovetail in the slide and using P9 sights.

gb6491
06-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Since this seems to have been a problem since they come out with the CW night sights and it's been a little while, has Kahr fixed this yet?

I'm about to start customizing my CW9 and would like to add night sights....after reading some of these stories I'm thinking I might be better off just milling a dovetail in the slide and using P9 sights.
Can you post a photo showing the underside of your slide where the two posts that hold the front sight in place are located? I might be able to tell if it would require additional work to install the Trijicon sights from Kahr. Alternately, you could go with a front night sight from Dawson Precision. They attach differently than the Trijicon sight and should go on without issue.
Regards,
Greg

jocko
06-01-2011, 10:01 AM
and basically that is all one needs is thart front night site anyhow. I would go with the dawson myself..

hoytinak
06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys, I've used DP sights on some of my 1911s and really liked dealing with the company. I didn't know they made sights for the Kahrs, looking at their site I see they make front & rear....saving my pennies for both from DP. :D

Lulu
06-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Anytime you install sights yourself it voids the warranty of the sights.

RogerP9fan
06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Great thread as I start to ponder night sights for the new little CM9 and the soon to arrive CW45.

jocko
06-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Anytime you install sights yourself it voids the warranty of the sights.

in hell doesn't take a college graduate to install night sights on a kahr cw or cm series gun. Dawson even supplies the necessary tool to install that sight, so I would say if u ruin the sight more than likely ur out. If u feel you can't do the sight, let a smitty put it on or ship the slide back to dawson and pay them to do it.Evidently Dawson must also feel that any person can install those sight son a cw or cm kahr or they would not be sending the right tool along with the sight..

jocko
06-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys, I've used DP sights on some of my 1911s and really liked dealing with the company. I didn't know they made sights for the Kahrs, looking at their site I see they make front & rear....saving my pennies for both from DP. :D

if u can even find it hereon this fourm a fellow shooter on another fourm posted his cm9 with dawson fiber optic front and back sites onit. Really looks, cool Not sure I don't like them better than the front night sight only.