PDA

View Full Version : Question about the latest Ruger 22/45 threaded barrel pistol

Scoundrel
02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I have looked at the pictures and read the specs here:
http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/models.html
But I have a question that I am hoping someone here has the answer to.

I want to know whether the P45GMK3RP model (fixed sights) has threaded holes to add both the upper and lower rails as options, and whether the rear sight can be removed easily. Does it just push out?

Or, does the P45GMK3PRRP (optics ready) model have threaded holes for front and rear sights?

Basically, I want the rails, but because I like to keep my options open, I also want to be able to use the iron sights without too much difficulty.

Observe my MK III below (bottom picture, stainless).

Would I do better to buy the optics ready version and try to find a weaver mount rear sight that doesn't stick up too high, and get a smith to drill me a threaded hole for a front sight if there isn't one there?

Would I do better to buy the fixed sight model and put rails on it, assuming it has the holes for them?

Am I just being silly, and I should buy the optics ready model, put the scope on it, and take the damn weaver rail OFF of my shiny stainless MK III, so when I want to use a scope vs sights, I just put one gun down and pick up the other one?

Never mind, I think I just answered my own question.

P.S. Yes, I KNOW that the 22/45 with rails is BUTT UGLY. That's OK. Its purpose is not to look pretty. The MK III Target is pretty. Sort of. OK, shutting up now.

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/images/10149.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/images/10150.jpg

Scoundrel
02-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey, wait a minute...

I noticed that the 22/45 has a 4.5" barrel instead of the 5.5" that the MK III has, and I started re-thinking this setup.

Ultra-compactness is not required for this setup.

I started thinking about about the Ruger Charger pistol http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html which is basically a shorty pistol grip 10/22 rifle with a funky stock, rail, and bipod. Almost perfect. No threaded barrel option.

Hmmm.

Then I started looking around at options for threading the barrel, and came up with the Green Mountain threaded barrel for the Charger: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=901825
...and that pushed me over the edge.

I am going to get the charger and the threaded barrel. I have some 60gr subsonic ammo that I have never been able to use to its full potential because I did not have a long barrel with a 1:9 twist in .22LR. The 1:9 threaded barrel will allow me to use that stuff with a suppressor attached, for super quiet operation and hopefully awesome accuracy.

Then, I can always swap the factory barrel back in if I want to shoot high velocity stuff, but I doubt I'd want to do that. The MK III and the M&P 15/22 handles the high velocity stuff just fine.

Woohoo! If only they offered the charger as a bolt action model, I'd be totally stoked.

OK, I just earmarked another $1000+ for this sport/hobby. Eek. It's gonna be tricky selling this idea to the wife. I better take her out to dinner and buy her something nice before I talk to her about it.

tv_racin_fan
02-23-2012, 02:02 AM
I was going to ask why you would want the second handgun.

IF I had what you have I would simply have it threaded for the suppressor and move the front sight back and have it drilled n tapped for the bottom rail IF you want one.

Scoundrel
02-23-2012, 06:23 AM
The cost of having the MK III threaded would be at least half the purchase price of a second one, and I'm kind of a "why buy one when you can buy two for twice the price" sort of guy.

But the Charger with an aftermarket threaded barrel really is the way to go. It fills another gap in my collection for another reason too:

I sort of want a Ruger 10/22 rifle, but I don't really want a rifle that long which can't be quickly disassembled for transport. The Charger seems like a great way to go with that. It's almost an SBR. I get the tried and true Ruger 10/22 action, but in a long pistol format.

tv_racin_fan
02-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Oh? Well dang. I could thread it for far less than that.

I got a MK II Imma have threaded or apparently thread myself it would seem.

I been thinkin I want a Marlin Papoose for some time. I'd rather have a 10/22 but I aint seen a takedown model or adaptation. Maybe I could figure that out if I had one to look at.

Scoundrel
02-23-2012, 07:10 PM
For "costs", I figured: Shipping, the cost of the threading job, moving/reattaching the front sight, finding an end cap to put on it when there were no accessories threaded onto it.

But then there are also the less tangible costs of worrying about my gun while it is away, worrying about whether the alignment is perfect (so the bullet doesn't damage whatever is threaded on), etc.

But I've started down the Charger path already, and I believe it's the right one for me.

tv_racin_fan
02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Hey far be it from me to tell ya not to purchase another. I kinda looked at that when I first posted it and said to myself.. I said self what the heck ya doin. Ya dont ever tell someone he ought not buy another firearm.

Yeah shippin an all would add to the cost. I aint about to ship mine off for that I don't believe. Course now I might better. I took my GP100 to the local guy for a mount to be installed and it took way longer than he claimed it would at first and I thought that was a dern LONG time.

Scoundrel
02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah, the whole waiting thing is something I am not really good at. I'd much rather buy something purpose-built that requires minimal modification (or that I can buy ready-made modified parts for) than heavily modify an existing item to make it do something it wasn't designed for.

But I understand that's an individual preference, and some people swing the opposite direction.

tv_racin_fan
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Oh believe me I know what ya mean. My son and I thought no worries about getting the Sig Mosquito with threaded barrel we just get a barrel later.. Only now we can not find a barrel PERIOD. I almost bought another Mosquito with threaded barrel and swapped either the barrel out or just swapped guns and sold whichever one we didn't want any more. But to be honest I rather just have the barrel to swap out when he wants.

Guess it aint much worry since we can not yet afford a can and the tax stamp anyway. BUT my state it appears is going to allow the use of a surppressor for hunting soon and I'll be getting or making one soon enough (legally of course).