PDA

View Full Version : CW or not to CW that is the question

dochawg
02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
He all, Noob here. I have a k40 covert and love it, but I am interested in getting a polymer framed one. I have really only been looking at the P40 and trying to stay away from the CW and I don't really know why. I guess I heard some bad rumors when they first came or something, IDK. Is the P40 really worth the extra $$. What kind of true horror stories are there out there for the CW's.

Thanks for Input

JB

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I wasn't able to eat the price difference for what literally boils down to an extra mag (in my eyes).

Both can accept night sights, fiber optics, and the same mags, and have the same weight. Both will have comparable accuracy.

Vinikahr
02-04-2010, 09:28 PM
He all, Noob here. I have a k40 covert and love it, but I am interested in getting a polymer framed one. I have really only been looking at the P40 and trying to stay away from the CW and I don't really know why. I guess I heard some bad rumors when they first came or something, IDK. Is the P40 really worth the extra $$. What kind of true horror stories are there out there for the CW's.

Thanks for Input

JB

If you can afford it then go for it, it is a matter of budget and preference. The only that makes it a bummer is the warranty is only 5 years.

swampman
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I have noticed when the sun goes down it gets darker:D

Vinikahr
02-04-2010, 09:35 PM
I have noticed when the sun goes down it gets darker:D

I have noticed that freaks do come out at night!:rolleyes:

swampman
02-04-2010, 09:37 PM
lord help us:D

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 09:41 PM
lord help us:D

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/13866_203244546497_522871497_362148.jpg

Who needs the lord when you're a stubborn jackass:confused:;)

mr surveyor
02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
other than the single magazine with the CW and the 2 magazines with all the other Kahrs, the only other significant differences were the fact that the CW barrel has standard rifling and the P and all other Kahrs have polygonal rifling, and the fact (until recently:)) that the CW had NO night sights available, and the others did.

I picked the CW (although I really wanted the MK)

I picked up a new, factory magazine at a gun show for $27.

At self defense distances, which is my reason for carrying a firearm, the standard rifling vs. polygonal rifling isn't going to matter. Your target won't know the difference either.

Now, the night sight issue is no longer an issue concerning the CW. Those pretty little 3 dot tritium sights firmly placed on my CW slide by the "mothership" are proof.

The triggers are the same, workmanship and quality the same. No doubt that the CW series may lack in pizzazz.... rolled marks on the slide rather than engraved.... but a a concealed firearm carrier, who's gonna see it, except at the range?

I have no intention in talking anyone out of the "more expensive" line, because I still want the MK... I prefer steel instead of polymer in most cases.

If I went either way from the CW series and stayed with polymer it would be the PM series. That will probably be my next Kahr (but I still want the MK)

just my opinions (which I probably offer too often)

surv

recoilguy
02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I can tell you the CW is a very nice weapon and is very nice and solid. If you can afford the P and want one get it, however if you are just afraid of it because of what you heard before. I would let you shoot mine and you would not be afraid of it ever again.

It is a good gun not to fear,

RCG

swampman
02-04-2010, 09:45 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/13866_203244546497_522871497_362148.jpg

amen brother:D

jwr
02-04-2010, 09:48 PM
I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago except my choice ended up being between the P9 and CW9 (I gave up on the the PM9 when I felt how comfortable the P/CW 9's were).

In my case the price difference was about $200. I think the P9 slide looks great but I also like the utilitarian look of the CW.

I guessed that I wouldn't notice not having the nicer barrel that comes with the P. I guessed correctly. My CW is *very* accurate.

I'm also happy with the stock sights so that wasn't an issue either, although night sights are now available.

So my decision was basically how much do I want to pay for the extra magazine :)

mr surveyor
02-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I have noticed that freaks do come out at night!:rolleyes:

I've gotta get me a secret decoder ring:)

swampman
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
the rings now come in the box with a new kahr or mini14 :D

Vinikahr
02-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I've gotta get me a secret decoder ring:)

LOL!:hippie:

ripley16
02-05-2010, 05:38 AM
At self defense distances, which is my reason for carrying a firearm, the standard rifling vs. polygonal rifling isn't going to matter. Your target won't know the difference either.

surv

When stated in the confines of self defence/ CCW, there is a bit of difference between the two types of barrel in that the polygonal barrel does generate higher velocity, which translates to a slightly more effective round. In some cases the differences in bullet velocity is as high as 50 fps.

Not a game changer, just more is better than less in self defence.

jocko
02-05-2010, 05:43 AM
accuracy with a polygonal rifled barrel and regualr rifled barrel are exactly the same. One reason for the polygonal rifled barrel is that (they say) it produces slightly more velocity due to the polygonal rifling but certainly no more accutart than a regular rifled barrel.

In-Yo-Grill
02-05-2010, 07:10 AM
I have both a P9 and CW9 and I can tell you they isn't much difference, other than the look between the two of them. Both shoot really well.

jeep45238
02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
accuracy with a polygonal rifled barrel and regualr rifled barrel are exactly the same. One reason for the polygonal rifled barrel is that (they say) it produces slightly more velocity due to the polygonal rifling but certainly no more accutart than a regular rifled barrel.

If your'e doing a LOT of shooting at once without cleaning, the poly will stay more accurate over extended period of time. Polygonal is more resistant to foulding :cool:

That said, My 1911 is just as, if not more, accurate than my T40 - assuming both barrels are not fouled. My AR - there's a huge difference between my barrel and the LW barrel I want, but there's also a fair amount of other stuff adding to that accuracy change besides polygonal rifling.

In-Yo-Grill
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Nice Zombie repeller you have there...Here's my little sweetheart. One of them at least.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/HPIM3201.jpg

getsome
02-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I really like the CW platform....cant see paying a whole bunch more for a spare magazine and a little more cosmetic work...As for the polygonal vs rifled barrel thing and a rifled barrel having 50 fps less velocity, If I ever have to shoot a BG I will ask him if he could tell which barrel he was shot with before he goes toes up...I'l bet he really wont notice cause he will be too busy bleeding!!!!!:biggrin1:

rogerthedodger
02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I really like the CW platform....cant see paying a whole bunch more for a spare magazine and a little more cosmetic work...As for the polygonal vs rifled barrel thing and a rifled barrel having 50 fps less velocity, If I ever have to shoot a BG I will ask him if he could tell which barrel he was shot with before he goes toes up...I'l bet he really wont notice cause he will be too busy bleeding!!!!!:biggrin1:

Same here!:)

rwh
02-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey Dochawg...I ceetainly can't offer any techincial info to you. I just posted that I bought a CW9 2 days ago, only have 100 rounds through it and love it. SO I am a happy camper.

Good luck with your decision.

Good shootin to ya.

frank_drebin
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I would go one step further and say that I would rather have a CW9/40 over a P9/40 for the simple fact that the slide on the CW is tapered at the muzzle. When "blind" holstering that muzzle cut makes huge difference. I found it much easier to holster my CW9 than I do my PM40.

Of course, I could jut be completely full of crap.

jfrey
02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Hey Frank, I found the same thing when reholstering the CW9. The bevel makes it a lot easier. The only thing I don't like is the extractor/loaded chamber indicator tends to cut the edge of my holster when I have a round loaded. I'm tempted to round off the leading edge of the extractor just a little to cure this. I personally prefer the asthetics of the CW9 to the P9. From what I have seen I don't know how the polygon barrel could be more accurate.