PDA

View Full Version : K9 Evolution

Tinman507
02-25-2012, 06:17 AM
When did Kahr change this gun to all Stainless?
Looking at one that indicates it was built in 98 or 99.
Exact date unknown but the chart at Glocktalk narrows it down.
Anything else to know about that approx vintage?
Worth?

ripley16
02-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Early on both carbon steel and stainless were made simultaniously. Exactly when the all stainless hit the market, I don't know, but certainly before the '98 Elite hit the market. I guess '96 or '97 is close to the first all stainless date.

Anything else to know about that approx vintage?

The first Kahr came with a very heavy spring and were rated +P+. That's a lot of recoil in a small gun. Other than some minor changes, the early gun is very similar to today's model.

In excellent condition a 13 year old K9 should be around $400. I've seen less, I've seen them for much more. I wouldn't pay over $450.

Tinman507
02-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks!
Appreciate the history lesson.

espresso
02-25-2012, 11:12 AM
I should have NEVER started lurking around this "K" board. I love my lil CW9 but have been sneaking around here learning about K9's (don't tell her!) I've wanted a metal Kahr ever since I saw one and I think it's only a mater of time.......been sneaking around gunbroker already.:blushing:

hss.strat
02-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Here's a list of things that I believe have changed over the years, based on what I've read here and from other places about these fine pistols. It doesn't seem like Kahr was at all interested in keeping track of when they made changes. In fact for some of them there seems to be overlap of old/new designs.

- The guns originally came in blued high carbon steel. I'm not sure if nickel plating was also available from the start or added later, but there are some nickel plated version running around from factory. The stainless steel was then added to the mix and eventually replaced the former materials.

- Frame molding was added to later designs. The original style frame has no molding near the slide release lever, and is flat from dust cover to backstrap.

- The original K9's had a 24# recoil spring and the guns were rated for +p+ ammunition. It seems like this is one of the first design changes to be made, dropping it to a 22# then more recently a 20# spring and dropping the +p+ rating for a +p or standard pressure only.

- The carbon steel K9 came with a rubbery hogue grip which is regarded as more desirable than the current grip style. (although I replaced mine with checkered wooden grips)

- I don't believe the original K9s had the "NY" trigger. The heavier "NY" trigger was added later because of a deal with NYPD and just recently was discontinued after NYPD dropped the K9 as an approved off-duty gun. This is definetly one of those changes where there's a lot of overlap.

- Over the years the dust cover has been beefed up from it's original state.

- At some point the sights changed in sizes. They are not interchangable.

- I don't know if this is a design change or aftermarket parts or what but I've seen some different guide rods floating around for the K9 as well. Mine has a solid steel guide rod which appears to have been machined. I've seen some (and even the replacement parts pictures on Kahrs website) with a hole in the front of the guide rod.

I'm sure other guys know alot more than I do about it, but this is what I've seen mentioned before and noticed from my circa 95' k9.

ripley16
02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
- I don't believe the original K9s had the "NY" trigger. The heavier "NY" trigger was added later because of a deal with NYPD and just recently was discontinued after NYPD dropped the K9 as an approved off-duty gun. This is definetly one of those changes where there's a lot of overlap.
I'm in agreement with everything but the above part. The original K9 had the long trigger. Only later, with the advent of the '98 Elite did the short trigger appear that is now on all of the models, poly or steel, with the exception of the K9 NYPD. This was how and when the term "Elite Trigger" made it's debute. The NYPD trigger wasn't heavier, it was only longer and was for all intents, the original Kahr trigger.