PDA

View Full Version : I saw a pretty cool gun today.....

jeepster09
02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
At Ahlmans....:eek: I bet it would look coolwith Pearl Grips and a good wipe down :D

Very interesting...

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG-20120228-00143.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG-20120228-00145.jpg

jeepster09
02-28-2012, 10:48 AM
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG-20120228-00147.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG-20120228-00144.jpg

Bawanna
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I think that will make someone very very happy. I prefer stag myself but I imagine it would look great with several options.

JFootin
02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Thank you, Jeepster, for doing that for me! :D:D:D I couldn't get any pics from Ahlman's.

I have some good looking grips waiting for it when it gets back home. I just sent it in with the factory grip panels, all scarred up from me trying to make clearance for speed loaders. Never intended to keep them on the gun anyway.

The hammer looks like it is more accessible, like I wanted. The finish is not as deep looking as in those pics I found on the Internet, but I bet a coat or two of Flitz Gun Wax will do the trick.

I hope the porting will make +p loads tolerable. Would Mag-na-port have been better? Jeepster, I know you have Ahlman's send your guns to Mag-na-port for porting. How much does that cost with the shipping from and back to Ahlman's? Just wondering for future reference.

I can't wait to try that trigger and get some bullets through it!

I am going to paint the front sight ramp with some Bright Sights Dayglo Orange paint, maybe two coats, let it dry thoroughly, then wax the entire gun. I will change the grips and get some nice pics of it afterward.

Now, I am awaiting their call about paying for all this fancy gunsmithing so they can get the gun on the way back to me. I hope I don't :faint2: when I hear the final tally! If I were made of money, all I'd be is a wrapper full of pennies! :wof:

jeepster09
02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Can't say if MAGNAPORTING is any better. I have only used Magnaport, so can't compare. As far as pricing on porting I let them ship because they can ship whole guns cheaper with FFL don't have to ship next day air as non FFL's. However you can ship using Priority mail if just sending non-titanium gun in for porting, because they only need frame and barrell minus cylinder [that way it is not a gun when shipped, just machined parts]. So to make long story short, it breaks even on them shipping, they get mark upon porting but shipping is cheaper.
The trigger on yours feels nice. I am jealous, I think I will slip back there and slip an old Taurus in box maybe no one will notice.....:D But then maybe they would notice when it gets redone in the CORRECT green/back...tehe.:ohmy:

JFootin
02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Can't say if MAGNAPORTING is any better. I have only used Magnaport, so can't compare. As far as pricing on porting I let them ship because they can ship whole guns cheaper with FFL don't have to ship next day air as non FFL's. However you can ship using Priority mail if just sending non-titanium gun in for porting, because they only need frame and barrell minus cylinder [that way it is not a gun when shipped, just machined parts]. So to make long story short, it breaks even on them shipping, they get mark upon porting but shipping is cheaper.
The trigger on yours feels nice. I am jealous, I think I will slip back there and slip an old Taurus in box maybe no one will notice.....:D But then maybe they would notice when it gets redone in the CORRECT green/back...tehe.:ohmy:

Well, the Ahlman's porting is $85 and the gun was already there, so no shipping. I'm cool with it. Mag-na-port is $95 for snubby revolvers, $140 for semi-autos.

My FFL is about 1/4 mile from me and will ship guns using U.S.P.S. with a $10 charge for the trouble; about $27 in all. Sure beats UPS and FedEx.

I am really liking the way they reshaped the frame to expose more of the hammer! And I can't wait to feel that trigger! :p

Your green/black theme is classy looking, the guns are always so clean and the pics you post of them are primo hi def. You're a class act, Jeepster! :yo:

I went with the high gloss black to make the gun look like a standard blued classic, until you take a closer look at it and realize it is something special. Plus, for me black is right for concealed carry, which I plan to do a lot of with this gun.

No pearl grips, but I have a gorgeous checkered rosewood boot grip by Altamont, and a smooth small grip in 'blackwood' which might work especially well for concealment at the 10:00 position in a slightly reverse canted low riding IWB clip holster. That tiny grip will settle down horizontally just above my belt and hide under the bulge of my middle aged spread, not printing at all. Thinking about getting it tuckable, as well, because my right hand can so easily pull the shirt up at that front location. I've shopped around, but can't find exactly what I want, so James Dean is going to bring my vision to life. :cool:

jeepster09
02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
I like the rosewood, gotta be my favorite wood for grips.