PDA

View Full Version : Double Tap 124gr. 9mm +P JHP Range Test

wyntrout
02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi, all!
I made my third trip to the range with my PM9 (and K9) after I received the Double Tap Ammo today.
I shot a few mags of FMJ to start out and then the DT 124 +P. I fired 93 rounds of DT, 100 rds S&B 124gr FMJ, and 50 rds Craig Mfg 124gr FMJ. I figure that I put at least 150 rounds through the PM9. The DT performed flawlessly in the K9, and in the 6-round magazines of the PM9. I consider this ammo reliable, as long as I don't try to use the 7-round magazine. I had multiple failures to feed with that 7-round POS. Twice the first four rounds fired and then the gun went click. I treated that like a misfire, waiting a bit and carefully moving the slide about 1/2 inch to reset the striker and tried firing again -- no go. I did this twice more and finally checked the chamber -- it was empty. The last three rounds had hung up in the magazine tube. This exact sequence happened twice, so I suspect the little hump halfway down the front of the follower is snagging on the slot on the right front of the magazine. I put three rounds in there and pressed the stack down and I could see a little bump there that might be snagging, so I'll take that one apart and see if I can smooth that a bit and test it next time. I certainly wouldn't bet my life on that thing. It may be salvageable, but if I was a person who could throw stuff away, I'd walk out my back gate, walk down to the pier in the park and throw that POS as far as I could out into the water.
But... I'm a pack rat. I'll try to save it or use it for parts... or something. Hmmmm... PM9 7-shot magazine for sale -- Cheep. Nah. I'm not that kind of guy, either.
Anyhow, I like the DT and will use it for carry. I'll have to finish this report later. My partner is home from work and we have an hour or so of TV before she goes to bed.
I hate to tease... but I have pictures. I used the movie function 720P at 30fps and made stills of some frames of the DT being fired -- WOW. Some neat stuff in about 2 hours....
Here's a few teasers, I gotta go entertain the breadwinner!
Wynn

Low flash powder -- DOH! I forgot to get shots of any of the other ammo being fired for comparison!
After almost an hour and an FTFeed, I decided to clean the PM9 feed ramp... sure gets sooty!
Range case -- added straps to hold magazines.
Picture of last 3 rounds in PM9-7round mag. Will post more pix.

Vinikahr
02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Finally!:D

Sweet!

Thanks for the report!

http://ingunowners.com/forums/avatars/handk49031.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1237843354

wyntrout
02-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Double Tap cartridges. There are some marks on some of the bullets. They kind of look like bullet puller marks?:confused:

wyntrout
02-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Some weird pyrotechnics like lightning or electrostatic discharge and some examples of recoil in one frame firing and recoil, then a different recoil frame. If you have it, a little X-Files music... or Twilight Zone.:p
Wynn

wyntrout
02-06-2010, 02:50 AM
The DT124+P doesn't seem to kick quite as much as the CorBon124 +P, but I didn't shoot any this trip. It would have been nice to compare both at the same time with recoil and flash. I guess that "Low Flash" is relative, though.:D
Some more blasts and weird stuff.
I guess that's enough pix. I'm still pulling the shots to the left and at times I was even shaking a bit, but most of the time I felt comfortable shooting. I certainly enjoyed it!:D:33:
Wynn

I did learn that I need to stick to center of mass for the left hand... and unsupported right hand (no rest).:blushing:

wyntrout
02-06-2010, 05:01 AM
I forgot the fired cases' mouths and bases:

Mr. S
02-07-2010, 01:00 AM
What bullet does the double tap you bought use?
I know they used to use the speer gold-dot(unicore)bullet.

jwr
02-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Cool pics!

wyntrout
02-07-2010, 04:43 PM
What bullet does the double tap you bought use?
I know they used to use the speer gold-dot(unicore)bullet.

It seems to be the bonded Gold Dot. I've heard or read that online and the pictures look the same. Kicks more than FMJs but maybe slightly less than I remember the CorBon 125 +P did. I really got them to try because I couldn't find that weight GD or at a decent price. The DTs were about 82 cents a round, delivered.
Wynn