PDA

View Full Version : Woman ratted out by fellow church member

TriggerMan
03-03-2012, 10:51 AM
The real story here is the Police stepping on her Rights. Note this happpened before Concealed Carry began ..

Brookfield Woman Unlawfully Arrested

By: Nik Clark(10/08/2010)
Wisconsin Carry, Inc. has filed a federal lawsuit against the City of Brookfield and 4 Brookfield Police officers who unlawfully arrested one of our members on July 4th 2010.
A copy of this lawsuit is available here. (http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/Brookfield/Doc_1_Complaint.pdf)
Our member who has been a victim of violent crime in the past openly carries a sidearm for personal protection as Wisconsin law allows. � On July 4th she was attending church services in Brookfield, WI. � After the service, a church member called the non-emergency number of the Brookfield Police Department to inquire as to the legality of open-carry. � Brookfield Police responded to the call by sending several officers/squads to the church. � On the way to the church the officers were made aware by the dispatcher that our member was not being threatening or creating a disturbance. � As our member was leaving the parking lot in her vehicle. � A Brookfield Police officer waved her down drew his weapon and ordered her out of her car at gunpoint.
As open-carry is perfectly legal in Wisconsin and the officers were aware our member had threatened no one and caused no disturbance, the officers had no reasonable articulable suspicion, which the law requires, to stop and detain our member against her will. � In addition, by drawing their guns on a law-abiding citizen who had done nothing wrong, the officers used an unlawful threat of deadly force during their unlawful detainment of our member. � The police proceeded to, without reasonable suspicion or probable cause that any crime had occurred, conduct an unlawful and unconstitutional search of our members person and car. � Our member was then unlawfully arrested and taken to the Brookfield Police Department for processing.
Wisconsin Carry has filed this lawsuit to obtain damages on behalf of our member for the unlawful arrest and violations of her civil rights by the Brookfield Police Department. � On behalf of our members all across the state, Wisconsin Carry continues to establish a precedent that departments who violate the rights of law-abiding Wisconsinites who legally carry in the only manner Wisconsin Law allows "open carry" will face legal consequences.
In a virtually identical situation in San Diego, CA a person lawfully open carrying was detained/arrested in a similar manner. � Within the last few weeks that case resulted in a $35,000 settlement from the City of San Diego paid to the man unlawfully arrested at gunpoint. � Details of that case can be viewed here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=347348
Wisconsin Carry, Inc. has also obtained a $10,000 judgement in Federal Court against the city of Racine earlier this year for an unlawful arrest of one of our members who was approached by police merely because he was legally open carrying.
Wisconsin Carry is a non-profit corporation dedicated to the protection and expansion of the right to carry in Wisconsin. � We believe that "conceal carry" and "open carry" are choices to be made by the law-abiding citizen based on their own preference, not the government's. � As open carry is generally the only legal way to exercise the right to carry in Wisconsin provided by our state and federal constitution, we advocate that people who wish to carry follow the law and open carry while our organization seeks to expand the right right to carry in Wisconsin to include conceal carry. � Our website is www.wisconsincarry.org (http://www.wisconsincarry.org)
Carry On,

Nik Clark
Chairman/President - Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
nik@wisconsincarry.org

muggsy
03-03-2012, 11:28 AM
How much did Wisconsin Carry, Inc. profit from the taxpayers loss?

CJB
03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
So that was 2010... its 2012... what was the verdict?

TriggerMan
03-03-2012, 01:07 PM

"Wisconsin Carry has filed this lawsuit to obtain damages on behalf of our member"

and in a SanDiego case

"Within the last few weeks that case resulted in a $35,000 settlement from the City of San Diego paid to the man unlawfully arrested at gunpoint "

Muggsy, unless you hit some people upside the head, you won't get their attention.

TriggerMan
03-03-2012, 01:13 PM
So that was 2010... its 2012... what was the verdict?She settled for $7,500

http://www.wisn.com/news/26361282/detail.html

Armybrat
03-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Good for her.

Here in Texas, open carry of handguns in public places is still illegal, but long guns are supposed to be legal.

However, given the paranoid nature of a lot of people these days, I wouldn't get very far totin' my Mini 14 up Congress Avenue in Austin.

LMT42
03-03-2012, 01:25 PM

"Wisconsin Carry, Inc. has also obtained a $10,000 judgement in Federal Court against the city of Racine earlier this year for an unlawful arrest of one of our members who was approached by police merely because he was legally open carrying."

Looks like fairly small judgments. Since they're not being greedy, I support their suits. Law enforcement should have a better grasp of the laws they enforce. I guarantee they know better and arrest these people anyway. Why, well, because they have guns and a badges and often abuse their power.

CJB
03-03-2012, 01:34 PM
BS settlement if you ask me. It was not really settled was it? City says it did nothing wrong, agrees to pay $7500 to sweep it under the rug. Thats a lot less than what a real judgement (loss) would have cost them.

TriggerMan
03-03-2012, 02:00 PM
BS settlement if you ask me. It was not really settled was it? City says it did nothing wrong, agrees to pay $7500 to sweep it under the rug. Thats a lot less than what a real judgement (loss) would have cost them.
Maybe if they shot her, accidentally, of course, there would have been a bigger settlement. :rain:

muggsy
03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I think that my point has been missed. The state has no money that it didn't collect from the tax payers. The 7,500 would have been better spent to train the police officers. A police officer would be acting in a suicidal manner if he didn't draw his weapon when detaining an armed suspect. It is perfectly legal to search a vehicle for anything that is in plain sight without the owners permission. It is perfectly legal to detain a person for a specified period of time without charging them with a crime. I think that Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is grandstanding. It is not making friends of the non gun carrying public.

TriggerMan
03-04-2012, 11:11 PM
I think that my point has been missed. The state has no money that it didn't collect from the tax payers. The 7,500 would have been better spent to train the police officers. A police officer would be acting in a suicidal manner if he didn't draw his weapon when detaining an armed suspect. It is perfectly legal to search a vehicle for anything that is in plain sight without the owners permission. It is perfectly legal to detain a person for a specified period of time without charging them with a crime. I think that Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is grandstanding. It is not making friends of the non gun carrying public.Wow, your pretty quick to give up some basic Constitutional rights for this woman...and yourself.

I was detained last September. I was armed but the MSP Officer did not draw on me. In the Wisconsin case, they had much more information to indicate there was no Officer safety issue.

Once laws change, behavior has to match. Some have a slow learning curve. The $7500 is, in fact, money well spent on training. A Statewide memo from the AG or head of the State Police will probably go out to all levels of LE. That's how we got consistency and preserved our Rights. It ought to work there as well.

tv_racin_fan
03-05-2012, 02:35 AM
I think that my point has been missed. The state has no money that it didn't collect from the tax payers. The 7,500 would have been better spent to train the police officers. A police officer would be acting in a suicidal manner if he didn't draw his weapon when detaining an armed suspect. It is perfectly legal to search a vehicle for anything that is in plain sight without the owners permission. It is perfectly legal to detain a person for a specified period of time without charging them with a crime. I think that Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is grandstanding. It is not making friends of the non gun carrying public.

Suspect? What was she suspected of doing? Legally carrying a firearm in the only manner allowed by Wisconsin?

Criminals do not tend to carry openly in a holster, they tend to carry secretively and generally without holster.

kerby9mm
03-05-2012, 03:10 AM
I don't know why anyone would want to advertise they have a gun by open carry even if it is a legal right. The bad guy can zero in on you and try to take it away to use for his own purposes. That's what they do here in Detroit to you when they want your car. Granted you have to drive your car and can't hide it while you are driving but you can hide your gun while carrying it. I do agree though that with this administration (and an unfortunate possible 5 more years) that we must step-up to protect our rights that are still remaining.