PDA

View Full Version : P9 and147 gr JHP?

druryj
03-04-2012, 05:37 AM
My new P9 ran fine during the 200 round break in with a variety of FMJ. Should i use 124 or 147 gr JHP?

JFootin
03-04-2012, 07:52 AM
I haven't tried any 147 gr in my CM9, yet. What I have noticed is that it seems to load and cycle the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p HPs noticeably smoother than anything else, even FMJs. Like a Singer sewing machine! It is like that was the bullet they used when they designed the gun. :)

gb6491
03-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Congrats on the new P9:) Does the feed problem occur with both magazines?
Regards,
Greg

jocko
03-04-2012, 09:11 AM
My new P9 ran fine during the 200 round break in with a variety of FMJ; but will not feed Federal 147 gr JHP. The rounds were jamming up against the top of the chamber; every 4th or 5th round it seems. However, my PM9 feeds them fine. Should I just shoot the crap out of the P9 or seek a different JHP load for it? What does everyone think is a reliable JHP that feeds consistently in the P9? Golden Sabres maybe?

GB ask makes sense, try another magazine if u hve one or, just move on to another brand of defense ammo. There are just to many good ones out there to get excited about one that doesn't do well in ur P9. Kahrs are not ammo sensitive but in ur casemaybe yours doesn't like 147 hp. Maybe down the road it will shoot itself into that round to. IO I would stick with 124 grain hp. any brand. Speer gold dots seem to be the preferred by most owners. Have u also tried another brand of 147 grain hp ammo?

druryj
03-04-2012, 11:30 AM
GB ask makes sense, try another magazine if u hve one or, just move on to another brand of defense ammo. There are just to many good ones out there to get excited about one that doesn't do well in ur P9. Kahrs are not ammo sensitive but in ur casemaybe yours doesn't like 147 hp. Maybe down the road it will shoot itself into that round to. IO I would stick with 124 grain hp. any brand. Speer gold dots seem to be the preferred by most owners. Have u also tried another brand of 147 grain hp ammo?

Yep, tried both mags, same problem. Since it ran fine with FMJ, I am going to call it an ammo issue and move on. My bet is it will run fine with some Golden Sabres for now, for sure, and until I get more rounds down the tube.

dirtkicker
03-04-2012, 11:58 AM
My CM9 will not run S&B under any circumstance. Everything else is fine, even steel case. Like you, I called it an ammo issue and moved on.

jocko
03-04-2012, 12:09 PM
good idea in ur case. not worth worrying about.. Have u lateron tried those rounds tos ee if any changes has happened???

dirtkicker
03-04-2012, 01:54 PM
good idea in ur case. not worth worrying about.. Have u lateron tried those rounds tos ee if any changes has happened???

Yeah I tried again after the break in period. It went bang, bang, choke. What it does is the round does not fully load into the chamber and there it sits, jammed up like grandma s panties. It takes a pocket knife to wedge in behind the round and slide so it can be racked out. No more SB in my Kahr. No matter, my Glock ate them for lunch.

For the record my CM9 fires Walmart Federal, WWB, steel case russian crap, and loves them gold dots.

chrish
03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Which federal are we talking about here...cheap or a higher quality SD round?

I have put all kinds of jhp thru my P9 and no issues. But I'd be glad to go pick up a box of whatever it is and try it. Any excuse to shoot.

druryj
03-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Which federal are we talking about here...cheap or a higher quality SD round?

I have put all kinds of jhp thru my P9 and no issues. But I'd be glad to go pick up a box of whatever it is and try it. Any excuse to shoot.

The cheap crap; 147 gr JHP in a federal white box...took it in a trade deal for some .45. Probably the issue right there.

chrish
03-04-2012, 04:29 PM
I'll try and pick up a box next time i see it...probably won't be in time enough to help you out, but you have my curiosity peaked. I haven't tried any of the Federal JHP that I can recall.

I've sent plenty of cheap 115gr FMJ thru my P9, in all brands, AE, Federal, Remington, Winchester. I've also shot tons of the cheap 147gr WWB JHP from Walmart thru my P9 along w/ quite a bit of my carry round (147gr PDX1), with nary an issue of any kind.

druryj
03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Update: Shot it today. The dang thing sure feeds and fires 115 gr Remington green box JHP with zero problem!