PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else train with air guns?

jwr
02-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I picked up a decent Walther CP99 air gun 5 or 6 years ago and have been shooting it a *lot* in the past year.

This particular gun weighs in at 26 oz loaded and is a very true reproduction of the Walther P99 9mm. It's a DAO gun and has a very smooth trigger. You can manually c0ck it for SA but I shoot it DA most of the time. It has 8 round magazines and shoots .177 pellets. They go for around $150 new.

I've been using it to practice draws, quick front sight acquisition, and rapid fire--stuff you might find useful in SD situations. I have a trap setup in the garage so I can shoot from about 20 feet. The shooting range where I typically shoot allows double-taps but no rapid fire, so it's nice to be able to practice rapid fire with a DA trigger.

I didn't realize until a couple of days ago but the grip angle is pretty close to the CW9 and it also has a very similar length trigger pull. The CW9 weighs 22 oz loaded so it's 4 oz lighter. The grip on the CW9 is a bit narrower as well.

The biggest downside is the lack of recoil. As you can imagine at 26 oz and shooting 8 grain pellets at 350 fps, there isn't much kick :D

All in all I think it's a great tool for practice and It's nice to be able to shoot 250 rounds for about $4 counting pellets and CO2.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/jerrywrussell/cw9-cp99-100.jpg

jeep45238
02-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Yup, a cheap arse, accurate enough, spring powered single shot beretta 92 airsoft pistol.

medezyner
02-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Picked up a quality 1911 air for practice last year. Cant beat the accuracy for the price. But I was a little disappointed: the spec’s said it was dimensionally accurate to a mil spec 1911 but wasn’t. It was wider and didn’t fit any of my kydex holsters! So much for practicing draw, sight, shoot. Anyway, the cousins love to shoot it and it was a great way to introduce them to the many aspects of pistol shooting.

Vinikahr
02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Guilty!:D

medezyner
02-08-2010, 06:54 AM
What I should have bought was one of the 1911 airsoft pistols with a realistic blowback. Damn thing weighs in at 2 pounds and has real wood grips! Maybe someone will come out with a Kahr model...anyone...please?:D

jeep45238
02-08-2010, 06:59 AM
If the grip panels are replaceable, I've got a spare set - just need to find one with novak sights and a high ride beavertail that takes grip panels for cheap (spring powered, co2, doesn't matter really). Be a GREAT replacement trainer for me.

getsome
02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
I bought a cheap plastic airsoft .45 1911 copy and for what it is it shoots quite accurately out to 15-20 feet or so...I had to file the rear sight way down to get it to shoot to my eyes, also painted the front sight so it would be more clear...I find it good practice and fun and above all CHEAP...I think it has helped me to be a better shot at the range...I hope to one day get a really nice more realistic airsoft pistol but for now this will do....