PDA

View Full Version : A day, er...10 minutes at the range with my CW45

gb6491
02-06-2010, 10:50 PM
I wanted to test (in one case, further test) some modifications I've made to my CW45, so I stopped by the local indoor range today. Once there, I thought let's really test it and eyeballed some Wolf steel cased ammo:eek: However, I stepped back a little and bought some aluminum cased Blazer instead. Well, it was a short session, the Blazer fed and functioned perfectly: for three magazines worth (two at 10 yards and one at 25: all two handed standing). Granted, it wasn't a very rigorous test, but sometimes, you have to stop when you are ahead:):
http://i50.tinypic.com/333kdnm.jpg
I'll ring her out a little more thoroughly at a later date, but I'm feeling a lot of love for the CW45 at the moment.
Regards,
Greg

jeep45238
02-06-2010, 10:58 PM
So...what's wrong with wolf?

gb6491
02-07-2010, 12:07 AM
So...what's wrong with wolf?
It's been my experience that, in some guns (particularly guns with tight chambers), the Wolf steel cased ammo has a higher incidence of feed/extraction issues than brass cased ammo. The primers also seem harder and less reliable (again, IMO and some guns). The aluminum cased Blazer also has a reputation as being troublesome in some guns. I do have guns that digest both without incidence, but try to avoid it for the most part. That the CW45 works with the Blazer is just a big plus for me. I'll probably give the Wolf a shot sometime in the future.

I'd be interested in hearing about any experience you (or others) have had with Wolf or Blazer in the CW series guns.

Regards,
Greg

jwr
02-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Nice shooting!

jeep45238
02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Wolf ran 100% in my CW40, my 1911, my Ruger Mark 3, and my AR15 - haven't had a chance to try it in my T40 yet, but I bet it works fine and dandy ;)

I have had 3 ammo problems in over 4000 rounds of it through my AR - 2 primers were seated too deep, and wouldn't go bang, and one failure to extract that was fixed by mortoring the gun.

Price
02-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I have ran about 200 rds of wolf through my cw45 no problem, about another 1500 of remington umc fmj also no issue, strangely the only issue I have had was with blazer, 3 fte in 400 rds. I have been using hornady 45+p 200 gr htp in brass instead of steel. I have read that for shorter barrel pistols it is better to use the 200gr over the 230gr but I have not tested any other options. It runs through perfectly and I am confident in the round for any defense situation so dont see a need in spending the extra cash to test different options.

jocko
02-07-2010, 01:38 PM
steel cased ammo IMO is made for Russian guns, not our guns. It is a hard case round and sometimes bery har don extractors also. It does not expand and retract as fast as brass cases does and sometimes this is where the issues start with FTE's.

I personally have shot wolffs steel ammo in my Mak and had terrible results with it. Just not sure I would recommend it . If that is allone can find then onemust do what one must do, . Just that many shooters stay the hell away from wolffs steel cased ammo. YMMV

medezyner
02-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I've never had very few problems firing thousands of rounds of Wolf in my 1911. Its been mentioned in more than a few forums that the steel cases beat up the extractor. Could be; steel is harder than brass. Also the steel doesnt expand and seal in the chamber like brass. Even though I dont have a problem with Wolf, I no longer shoot it. Some of the cheaper brass like S&B and WWB are my practice ammo now.

medezyner
02-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Ah, ya beat me to it joko.

Vincent
02-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Wolf ran 100% in my CW40, my 1911, my Ruger Mark 3, and my AR15 - haven't had a chance to try it in my T40 yet, but I bet it works fine and dandy ;)

I have had 3 ammo problems in over 4000 rounds of it through my AR - 2 primers were seated too deep, and wouldn't go bang, and one failure to extract that was fixed by mortoring the gun.

The "Wolf" you shot in your MK3 is not Wolf ammo. It is SK Jagd which is German and owned by Lapua. It is a very good entry level Match ammo and at $4.50 a box of 50 is not a cheap ammo likethe other Wolf ammo.

Just a thought.

Pokefun
02-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I ran another 50 wwb through my CW45 yesterday and figured out the accuracy problem. Now I know, as everyone else did, that it is me! When I just concentrate on slowly pulling the trigger, the gun hits exactly where I am aiming at 7 yards. I need to remember to concentrate on holding on to the little thing also or it will smack me when I get complacent.

jeep45238
02-07-2010, 02:46 PM
The "Wolf" you shot in your MK3 is not Wolf ammo. It is SK Jagd which is German and owned by Lapua. It is a very good entry level Match ammo and at $4.50 a box of 50 is not a cheap ammo likethe other Wolf ammo.

Just a thought.

More than aware of that :rolleyes:

gb6491
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Nice shooting!
Thanks jwr:)

Thanks to all for their input on Wolf ammo:yo:

Regards,
Greg

Vinikahr
02-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Good report.

I will buy Wolf ammo if I can find it and of course at the right price. I have an order of CCI .45 and really do not know when I will get.

jocko
02-09-2010, 02:28 AM
It probalby would take a steady diet of steel cased any brand ammo to get any noticeable damage to parts on a gun. Ejectors and extractors would take the worst beating from steel cased ammo IMO. Ihave shot wolffs steel cased 9mm before and it worked in my ikahr, I just choose not to use it expecialy when I can buy WWB 115 fmj 100 pak for around $20. I cannot buy wolffs for that price. I don't follow the 45 prices of ammo.... It is very hard IMO to damage a kahr extractor, they are one of the best and most well made extractors around. Actually never read of a broken kahr ejector either. twoparts that ons ome guns don't hold up. I broke 3 ejectors on my Para carry 9 and they were a rela bugger to replace properly..

Pokefun
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Ran another 150 rounds through my new CW45 today with a new barrel. I had already ordered the barrel when I realized that it was probably me causing the accuracy problem. With the new barrel a friend and I tore up the target putting every single round in a 10" circle at 9 yards. I just wanted to get to the 250 round mark today so we just shot picked up brass and shot again. I love this little gun now. 250 rounds down and not one failure less the moron who could not hit the broad side of a barn the first 40 or so rounds and that can't be a knock on Kahr. All in all, I love this gun!

gb6491
02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
...With the new barrel a friend and I tore up the target ...
Pokefun,
Sounds like you are getting dialed in with it:)
Did you have to return the pistol to Kahr for installation of the new barrel?
Regards,
Greg

Pokefun
02-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Pokefun,
Sounds like you are getting dialed in with it:)
Did you have to return the pistol to Kahr for installation of the new barrel?
Regards,
Greg

It is getting better. I thought originally that I screwed up and should have bought another Glock. I can now see the error in my thinking and am going to add another Kahr to the closet. I did not send the pistol to Kahr. I did not know if the barrel really had a problem so I just ordered a replacement to satisfy my ego, lol. The barrel did need very minor fitting but it really wasn't a problem.