PDA

View Full Version : Colorado to allow permit holders to have guns on college campus

TheTman
03-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Colorado Supreme Court holds college students with permits can carry on campus
We already know that Tennessee is far behind some other states in repealing and removing the restrictions on 2nd Amendment protected rights. This is sad notwithstanding the fact that Tennessee is in the South, it has Republican leadership in the House, Senate and the office of Governor. Perhaps, that says a lot about the individual Republicans who are holding those offices?
The Denver Post reports:
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20104814 (wlmailhtml:{4A28566B-8035-4A61-88F9-2ACBE680D630}mid://00000021/!x-usc:http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20104814)

In a victory for gun-rights advocates, the Colorado Supreme Court today struck down the University of Colorado's campus gun ban, saying the CU Board of Regents overstepped its authority in blocking students from carrying licensed concealed weapons.
"We're very, very happy," said James Manley of the Mountain State Legal Foundation, which argued against CU's ban. "The position of the Supreme Court was that they (the CU regents) were operating above the law."
Justices ruled that the state's Concealed Carry Act's "comprehensive statewide purpose, broad language, narrow exclusions show that the General Assembly intended to divest the Board of Regents of its authority to regulate concealed handgun possession on campus."
The Concealed Carry Act � passed by the state legislature in 2003 � states that a person with a permit may carry a concealed weapon "in all areas of the state," with the exception of some federal properties, K-12 schools and buildings with fixed security checkpoints, such as courthouses. It also states that a "local government" may not enforce an ordinance or resolution that conflicts with law.
CU regents, however, said they have the authority to ban concealed weapons on campuses, leased buildings and any area under control of university police.
But in 2009, three students in El Paso County filed a lawsuit. The students � Students for Concealed Carry on Campus � argued the ban violated the Concealed Carry Act and the Colorado Constitution.
An El Paso District Court judge dismissed their suit, saying the Board of Regents is not considered a local government, but a "statewide authority with its own legislative powers over distinct geographical areas.
In 2010, the Colorado Court of Appeals reversed that decision, saying it was clear the Concealed Carry Act was intended to apply statewide.
In a unanimous decision, the State Supreme Court backed the appeals court. CU now must join Colorado State University in allowing students to carry licensed concealed weapons on campus, Manley said.
"My clients are extremely happy," said Manley. "They will now be able to exercise their constitutional rights to carry on campus."

Read more: Colorado Supreme Court affirms that CU students with permits can carry concealed guns on campus - The Denver Post (wlmailhtml:{4A28566B-8035-4A61-88F9-2ACBE680D630}mid://00000021/!x-usc:http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20104814#ixzz1oMLDquPm) http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20104814#ixzz1oMLDquPm

I hope more states follow suit.

muggsy
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Seems like the courts are getting it right more often than not. Good on 'em.

recoilguy
03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
It is good to see that students can now protect themselves from the crazy bast... who don't care if they are allowed to carry a gun or not.

RCG

O'Dell
03-07-2012, 02:29 PM
I like the currently trend toward liberalizing the laws. I read in "USA today" today that twelve states, including my home state of Georgia, are considering eliminating CC permits completely and making CC a basic right. There are four states currently operating on this basis, AK, AZ, VT, and WY.

Bad_Brains
03-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I had gone back to college when that freak killed those students at Virginis Tech and that other A-hole killed those nursing students and that other B-tard shot an instructor and five students in an auditorium. I carried a Sig P220 back then and I started carrying it in my book bag. Hang their laws ! I'm not going to be a victim if I can help it. I'm not going to be a cowboy either. What I've never understood is how the guy at Virginia Tech was able to line up 31 people and just walk down the hall and kill them all without anyone resisting. Don't young men have any balls anymore? If 3 or 4 guys had rat packed that F'er he could've been stopped. Yes, some of they 3or 4 guys MAY but to not take that risk is certain death. I've been shot at several times both when I was armed and unarmed. I understand fear, watching a friend die, tunnel vision and the surrealness experienced in a gunfight; but at some point the will to live has to kick in and you just have to fight.