PDA

View Full Version : Using uncoated lead reloads to improve accuracy:

TheTman
03-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Has anyone hear of running 5-10 uncoated lead reloads down the barrel of a semi auto to tighten up the groups? I guess the lead is supposed to make the rifling get a better hold on the bullet and spin it better for more accuracy. A friend and I tried this on a Beretta 92 and a Star Model 30, and both improved dramatically after shooting the lead reloads through it.
I've never used anything to remove the lead in my Star, and it still shoots nice groups. I was thinking about giving the M&P Pro 5" 9mm another 800 rounds and if it didn't tighten up the groups, to try the lead reload trick and see if it helped. I've heard it takes some pistols, like the CZ 75 around a 1000 rounds to reach it's potential, so thought I'd give the M&P the same treatment. It's not shooting horrible or anything, but I think my groups should be a lot smaller considering the 5" barrel, longer sight radius and all. These are groups shot with my elbows resting on the table at the indoor range, so the groups should have been pretty good. As it was, the Star out shot the M&P as far as group size, but was a little high on the target, shooting about 10 yards.
My friend said his uncle told him about the trick years ago. Seems like most owner's manuals say not to fire uncoated lead, or reloads of any sort for that matter, but I wouldn't think a 5 or 10 would hurt anything.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard anything like that advice from my friends uncle.

TheTman
03-09-2012, 07:57 AM
So no one has heard of this? It comes from Mississipi.

MW surveyor
03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Never really read/heard about this for a pistol. Have read about shooting some "fouling shots" in a 22 rifle and or fire lapping.

Have you tried different weights of bullets/ammo?

BTW - All my center fire pistols get fed lead or nothing at all. :)

muggsy
03-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Has anyone hear of running 5-10 uncoated lead reloads down the barrel of a semi auto to tighten up the groups? I guess the lead is supposed to make the rifling get a better hold on the bullet and spin it better for more accuracy. A friend and I tried this on a Beretta 92 and a Star Model 30, and both improved dramatically after shooting the lead reloads through it.
I've never used anything to remove the lead in my Star, and it still shoots nice groups. I was thinking about giving the M&P Pro 5" 9mm another 800 rounds and if it didn't tighten up the groups, to try the lead reload trick and see if it helped. I've heard it takes some pistols, like the CZ 75 around a 1000 rounds to reach it's potential, so thought I'd give the M&P the same treatment. It's not shooting horrible or anything, but I think my groups should be a lot smaller considering the 5" barrel, longer sight radius and all. These are groups shot with my elbows resting on the table at the indoor range, so the groups should have been pretty good. As it was, the Star out shot the M&P as far as group size, but was a little high on the target, shooting about 10 yards.
My friend said his uncle told him about the trick years ago. Seems like most owner's manuals say not to fire uncoated lead, or reloads of any sort for that matter, but I wouldn't think a 5 or 10 would hurt anything.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard anything like that advice from my friends uncle.

What do you mean by "uncoated"? Does that mean un-jacketed, un-plated, or un-lubricated lead bullets. I've shot hard cast lubricated, plated and jacketed swagged lead reload bullets through my guns for years without harm. Leading of the lands and grooves usually detract from accuracy. I've fire lapped barrels of high powered rifles to improve performance. Fire lapping removes tool marks in barrel rifling and helps to reduce copper jacket fouling.

TheTman
03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I've only tried WWB and Hydra Shoks, the Hydra Shoks seem to always be more accurate than the WWB or whatever practice ammo I am using. I should set up my reloading bench again and start making my own, except I don't have a 9mm die. Want to get a 9mm die and a .308 so I can make some lightweight loads for my Spanish Mauser converted to 7.62 CETME. It only has 2 locking lugs, and is not built to withstand modern 7.62 NATO loads, but is a nice rifle, for being military surplus, and would like to be able to have a few boxes of loads for it. Should get some headspace guages for it before I do anything to it. If the headspace is ok, then I want to strip it down and oxpho blue it. It does have some wear spots on the barrel that rust quickly if not kept oiled.

MW surveyor
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Well, the WWB might be your problem with the gun's accuracy. Try a few other brands of the cheaper range fodder. The Federals that I used to use (my guns haven't seen any commercial stuff for the last year and one half) seemed to be more accurate for me in my CZ and the CW9. When I was looking for the most accuracy in this pistols I tried WWB, UMC, Blazer Brass, Magtech, Speer Lawman, etc. You get the picture. A 50 round box of each should give you some idea of exactly what your pistol likes.

I like the HydaShocks in both my CZ and CW9. Not going for full on bullseye shooting with these though.