PDA

View Full Version : Pf-9

pitbull1022
03-08-2012, 05:53 PM
A friend of mine was short on cash and sold me his Kel Tec PF-9. Emailed Kel Tec and it was born on 10/10. Have put 2 mags plus 1 of 5 different types of ammo thru it. Winchester white box, Winchester JHP, Tula, Federal Bulldog HD, and Remington HD. All shot great. None Failed to feed, failed to fire or failed to eject. Put a houge handall jr on it to tame the sting. Shot another box of hard balls. Still no problem. Stripped it down and checked everything really close. Cleaned it up. Everything it great. This is one hell of a pistol in .9mm. Small, tight, light, ass kicker. Looks pretty bad too. Now if my CM40 gets here soon. Gonna be a long rest of the year. CAUSE ME BLEW ME GUN MONEY FOR THE YEAR ALREADY. Damn that LSG. Every time I go in they show me something new.

JohnR
03-08-2012, 07:29 PM
If you like the stock PF9, you'll love the Northwood trigger. I think it was about $55 plus a gunsmith to install it, and it improves the trigger feel a hundred percent. Google "northwood trigger" to find it.

I switch between my K9 and PF9; it's not nearly as bad a gun as some people say. :D

pitbull1022
03-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks JohnR. Was not exspecting as good of gun as it is so far. This thing rocks. I have been going with either the CW40 or the PF-9. But for all the complaints I hear about you can not find them around here at all. Since I have found the small sized hand cannons of Kahr and Kel Tec I dont even use poor Lil Elsie.

jeepster09
03-09-2012, 06:17 AM
PF9's are a good gun :=]

MW surveyor
03-09-2012, 07:01 AM
sarcasm on/ No they aren't. They are a POS. Just go to the KelTec forum and all you see are people that have problems with the pistol. Who wants a $250 gun that you have to do a "fluff and buff" on to make it run. For what they charge, the gun should be ready to do straight out of the box without any cleaning or lubing first. The grips are like cheese graters and hurt my hands so I have to put something on them and/or sand down the rough spots. And that trigger, who the heck put that mold seam right down the center. More sanding or having to install a piece of shrink tubing on it to keep my trigger finger from getting torn up./sarcasm off

ladman
03-09-2012, 09:07 AM
sarcasm on/ No they aren't. They are a POS. Just go to the KelTec forum and all you see are people that have problems with the pistol. Who wants a $250 gun that you have to do a "fluff and buff" on to make it run. For what they charge, the gun should be ready to do straight out of the box without any cleaning or lubing first. The grips are like cheese graters and hurt my hands so I have to put something on them and/or sand down the rough spots. And that trigger, who the heck put that mold seam right down the center. More sanding or having to install a piece of shrink tubing on it to keep my trigger finger from getting torn up./sarcasm off

Yeah, and go to the Kahr forums and see how many POS's people on there talk about. I've had a PF9 for years and has been flawless. It's designed to be an up close and and person defense weapon. Nothing fancy.

JohnR
03-09-2012, 09:30 AM
sarcasm on/ no they aren't. They are a pos. Just go to the keltec forum and all you see are people that have problems with the pistol. Who wants a $250 gun that you have to do a "fluff and buff" on to make it run. For what they charge, the gun should be ready to do straight out of the box without any cleaning or lubing first. The grips are like cheese graters and hurt my hands so i have to put something on them and/or sand down the rough spots. And that trigger, who the heck put that mold seam right down the center. More sanding or having to install a piece of shrink tubing on it to keep my trigger finger from getting torn up./sarcasm off
lol!!! :d:d:d

ladman
03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah, and go to the Kahr forums and see how many POS's people on there talk about. I've had a PF9 for years and has been flawless. It's designed to be an up close and and person defense weapon. Nothing fancy.

BTW, my everyday carry is a P380 and have owned a PM40 in the past, so I'm a present and previous Kahr owner.

ponycarman
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
They are good if you can get one to work right. I had one. I liked the size and weight. I just couldn't get it reliable enough for my taste. It was pretty accurate. I also added a hogue grip to cut down on the grip sanding on my hand lol. It was very snappy too. I sent it back and keltec replaced everything except the slide. I still had reliability issues with it after it got back. I sold it a few months later.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

muggsy
03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
KelTec firearms get the job done. They are inexpensive, accurate and reliable. If your looking for the best go with Kahr. KelTec makes a basic no frills handgun.

Popeye
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Depends if you get a male or female. The females seem to be a little finicky. :D I Keed I Keed.

hss.strat
03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
I had a PF9 for a little over a year, bought it brand new 1 month after born on date. Constant FTF, FTE, double feeds. You name it, the gun did it. Sent it back to the factory (it was there for 3 months), they said it was a magazine problem. Came back with the same issue. I called them again, they said it's still the magazine. I told them they already replaced the magazine, but they insisted that was the problem. They refused to just send me a new magazine and I refused to pay for shipping AGAIN. Luckily my gun dealer is a decent guy and had his gunsmith work on it free of charge. He had it running reliably after about a month in the shop. I immediately sold it.

When it worked, it was okay. Really snappy because of the light weight, the grip is like a sharp piece of granite and the metal showed pitting and lots of tool marks when I got it. But it hit the target pretty accurately, and a bit of hockey tape wrapped around the grip got rid of the backstrap sharpness. I certainly prefer my K9. Bottom line was that I couldn't trust my life with it. I don't doubt that there are some decent Kel-Tech specimens out there. I just didn't get one. If their customer service had been top notch I may have weathered the storm but it just wasn't. Not the worst, but not good enough to make up for the terrible gun.

pitbull1022
03-09-2012, 11:56 AM
You hear more bad than good on every gun. Every firearms maker has a few problems with some guns. All I want is for it to go BANG every time. So far everything I have does. I Houge every gun I CCW that I feel needs one. I have yet found a perfect gun and have had to do some light sanding and buffing on them all to take off sharp edges. Recoil ain't a problem for me. I don't buy sub compacts to target shoot everyday. If I want to do that I will bring out the Ruger Target .22 or the Glock 34. Break them in, shoot them enough to be accurate at range, double check them for any problems, and switch them out when I carry.