PDA

View Full Version : alloy frame Kahrs

kerby9mm
03-08-2012, 10:56 PM
It will never happen due to high sales of poly guns as well as the profit margin due to injected plastic compared to machining but I would like to see some alloy frame Kahrs. I would think the weight savings over steel compared to poly might be somewhere in between the two. I would be interested if any knows the weight difference between aluminum alloy and poly for the same mass.

O'Dell
03-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Of my sixteen pistols seven have aluminum frames, two SS, [MK40 and Detonics], and the other seven are polymer. I also like alloy frames but I doubt that we'll see one from Kahr. I'm still promoting a MK45.

kerby9mm
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
If they were to make a mk45 could they convert the mk40 slide and barrel to do it. The mk40 slide is beefer than the mk9 (I have both the 9 & the 40) and so is the barrel hood. The 40 operates at higher pressure than the 45 so maybe it could be done with the extra metal machined away. O well just dreaming. They make too much of the poly guns.

Gliderguy
03-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Never happen, but I think a MK40 with a titanium frame and maybe a select few titanium internals coming in at maybe 20oz. without magazine would be uber cool. Titanium distributes heat a little slowly and doesnt feel as cold in the hand as steel or aluminim to me.

jocko
03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
and very ver7y expensive.. I would think machining of titanium mibht be more challenging to. Just sayin. It just looks like today POLYMER is trumping steel guns for new model introductions. Certainly cost wise polymer would be way way lower in price to produce.

Gliderguy
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
no argument there. guess while I am dropping that kind of cash I should have some gold and silver bullets commissioned with platinum plated cases. If I have to go lead free, I want to doit with style.:D

jeepster09
03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Never happen, but I think a MK40 with a titanium frame and maybe a select few titanium internals coming in at maybe 20oz. without magazine would be uber cool. Titanium distributes heat a little slowly and doesnt feel as cold in the hand as steel or aluminim to me.

How about scandium frame? I would buy one.

jocko
03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
and of course Port it!!

jocko
03-27-2012, 02:16 PM
be interesting to know whatthe weight reduction woldbe with titanum or scandinaium over the all steel we have now. to see if it would even be cost effective. Meaning that if they could make it in the ultra light version wouldyou pay $200 more for it etc if it only meant at best 2 less ounces..

considering the ultimate ulturnative wold stillbe polymer.....

jeepster09
03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Not worth it for 2 ounces, but 8 ounces yes!
Look at the weight differences between PM's and MK's, more like a 10 ounce spread.
So they should be able to build one about 6 to 8 ounces lighter using light metal over using stainless. Now the perfect gun would be a Scandium or Titianium MK45.
My light weight Para PDA 45 is 24 ounces

So Kahr should be able to come in between the PM of 16 ounces and MK of 23 ounces. So an 18 ounce Titianium MK45 should be doable and I would BUY it! :D

O'Dell
04-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Not worth it for 2 ounces, but 8 ounces yes!
Look at the weight differences between PM's and MK's, more like a 10 ounce spread.
So they should be able to build one about 6 to 8 ounces lighter using light metal over using stainless. Now the perfect gun would be a Scandium or Titianium MK45.
My light weight Para PDA 45 is 24 ounces

So Kahr should be able to come in between the PM of 16 ounces and MK of 23 ounces. So an 18 ounce Titianium MK45 should be doable and I would BUY it! :D

My PM9 and MK40 are almost the same size. According to Kahr the polymer PM weighs 14 ozs and the steel MK 23.1. Judging from my other aluminum and polymer pistols, I would guess that an alloy framed MK would be about 17 which would tally with the 6 oz difference. This could be the difference in a pocket carry or not, so I would certainly favor an alloy framed MK. Like you I would buy an aluminum framed MK45 in a heartbeat, but I'm not holding my breath.

Barth
04-02-2012, 10:34 AM
It will never happen due to high sales of poly guns as well as the profit margin due to injected plastic compared to machining but I would like to see some alloy frame Kahrs. I would think the weight savings over steel compared to poly might be somewhere in between the two. I would be interested if any knows the weight difference between aluminum alloy and poly for the same mass.

Generally speaking,
My Glock G27 is ~20 oz empty.
The new Sig P224, which appears to suspiciously the same size,
is an alloy framed gun that weighs ~25 oz.

My all stainless steel single stack MK40 weighs ~25 oz.
Sigs new single stack 9mm 938, with an alloy frame albeit SA only, weights ~16 oz.

I would imagine my 25 oz MK40 would be ~20/21 oz with an alloy frame.

jocko
04-02-2012, 10:38 AM
it all makes sense to us but I just doubt if kahr will go for it. It would have to come in way below a 2 ounce saving IMO and the cost factor could be a real issue to. Just saying. Lets face it guys: POLYMER RULES except in the 1911 family.:behindsofa:which could ber iconic tradition over anything else. Would shooters accept a 1911 polymer gun???Probalby not.:behindsofa:

Tinman507
04-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Polymer might rule, but all metal guns shoot so much better, IMHO.
What drove the current trend toward small polymer guns? People want lightweight concealable personal weapons. The smaller and lighter gun makers make em and the harder or more uncomfortable they are to shoot.
I think once a lot of folks get into cheaper lighter guns, the next generation of gun sales is going to trend toward heavier guns that are more pleasant to shoot accurately.

My initial foray into handguns was the CM9. I loved shooting it and carrying it. But once I held and shot the K9, there is no comparison at all. It's simply more fun to shoot. I think folks who get hooked on handguns will be looking to buy their next one in metal. Just a theory but it seems reasonable.

Barth
04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Polymer might rule, but all metal guns shoot so much better, IMHO.
What drove the current trend toward small polymer guns? People want lightweight concealable personal weapons. The smaller and lighter gun makers make em and the harder or more uncomfortable they are to shoot.
I think once a lot of folks get into cheaper lighter guns, the next generation of gun sales is going to trend toward heavier guns that are more pleasant to shoot accurately.

My initial foray into handguns was the CM9. I loved shooting it and carrying it. But once I held and shot the K9, there is no comparison at all. It's simply more fun to shoot. I think folks who get hooked on handguns will be looking to buy their next one in metal. Just a theory but it seems reasonable.

I too think some folks buy without shooting first.
There seems to be lots of used polymer 40s floating around - LOL!
We really need to be proficient with our weapons.
So a carry gun being easy and fun to shoot just makes sense.

Polymer is here to stay.
But the popularity of micro guns, in big calibers, may wane.
It's already started clearly, but 9mm will continue to gain popularity.
SD gun size, weight and caliber will begin to stabilize at something shoot-able.

So says Barth Six Barrels

Also, although maybe it would be more accurate made of steel,
my polymer Glock is reasonably accurate - LOL!
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo40/cb/46/6e1b1ad08bb4__1330988741000.jpeg

jocko
04-02-2012, 11:30 AM
My G19 is the most accurate gun Ihve ever owned, course it has been reworked by accuratge-iron also but it is what it,,, a real shooter, and WTf, its polymer. I shoot my K9 very good and for what I have it for it is unbeatable. It is my home gun and my rangegun, never my carry gun, so IMO steel is betterin that sense but when it goes into my pocket it is gonna be polymer every day.

Barth
04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
My G19 is the most accurate gun Ihve ever owned, course it has been reworked by accuratge-iron also but it is what it,,, a real shooter, and WTf, its polymer. I shoot my K9 very good and for what I have it for it is unbeatable. It is my home gun and my rangegun, never my carry gun, so IMO steel is betterin that sense but when it goes into my pocket it is gonna be polymer every day.

My Glock G27 left factory stock a few exits back too.
But that's not the point is it?
Polymer guns can be tack drivers.
We both have one.

O'Dell
04-02-2012, 01:24 PM
My Glock G27 left factory stock a few exits back too.
But that's not the point is it?
Polymer guns can be tack drivers.
We both have one.

I'll add a couple more - my USP 40 and HK45C. The CW40 and 45 aren't bad either. I haven't had too much success in that regard with the PM9, but the MK40 is the same size and has almost the same trigger and I shoot it pretty well. Must be the weight!

tilefish
04-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I like the weight of my K9. I have a great polymer gun (XD9) but aesthetically I like steel.

tv_racin_fan
04-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Jeepster, 18 oz you might buy but what about 19/20? Would you pay the premium for that?

I slide my K9 or my SP101 into my pocket, the weight is comforting...

jeepster09
04-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Maybe.....especially if a 45.