PDA

View Full Version : Looking for another 1911 - Suggestions?

CamdenSC
03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Just purchased a Dan Wesson V-Bob and absolutely love it. I actually much prefer shooting the 45ACP versus a 9MM but not sure how much of that is the gun (Sig P226 EE, CM9, and CW9) versus the caliber. Any way, was looking for suggestions as to my next 1911 purchase. Will consider all sizes but am concerned about barrel lengths shorter than 4" assuming what I read on the errornet is true. Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I have on hold a Ruger SR1911 so if I decide to follow through with that purchase, I will have the full size taken care of but you can always have more than one! Want to stay under $1,500.

Bawanna
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
There's a mountain of choices for 1911's well under that budget. You pretty much got the cream of the crop with your Dan Wesson.
I'm still waiting for a Ruger to call my own too.
There's a guy here with a Springfield Range Officer, I've kind of had a hankering for one of those. I held a Remington couple days ago, basically mil spec with better sights, had a sweet trigger.
Kimber Warrior, I have a big list that seems endless.
Happy shopping.

CamdenSC
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Bawanna, thanks for the feedback. Looked at the Warrior but prefer no front serrations or rail.

Any opinion on the shorter barrel 1911's?

tnshooter
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I have 2 1911's as of now, and I must agree with Bawanna...that Dan Wesson is one fine pistol.

I have a Range Officer, and a Sig C3. Both are excellent pistols. The RO is full size 5" barrel, and the C3 is a 4.25" barrel. IMO the RO shoots better because it's heavier, therefore more sturdy to hold when firing. The weight also helps with the recoil to a degree. The C3 is an alloy frame, so it's much lighter than the RO, but it still shoots much better than I do.

The grip on the C3 is shorter than the RO, which means less rounds in the factory mag, but there's plenty of larger capacity mags available that will work just fine in most 1911's for those range days when you don't want to shoot in 7 or 8 round mags before reloading.

The RO has an adjustable rear sight, which is nice for the range, but I'd never use it as a CCW for fear of banging that rear sight on something.

Sorry I don't have more 1911's to help in your quest, but you'll get a vast amount of respones about this anyway so good luck to you.

Bawanna
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Only short barrel 1911 I've ran much is my Para Ordnance LDA with the 3". It's been trouble free for me.

Years ago I had a Colt Officers Model back when everyone seemed to have issues with them, I had no issues at all with mine at all. At that time I couldn't get warm and fuzzy with the hammer back carry but I still carried it for several years before I went to S&W's 4516.

Now my mind is right again and I'm fine with the 1911. Actually why I went to the LDA's (I have 3). All the good stuff of a 1911 without hammer back, but long reset. I'm rambling, I love em all. If it goes bang, I want one.

O'Dell has a few short 1911's, perhaps he'll log in here and give us some feedback.

DKD
03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
My first 1911 was a used Colt Officers 4" stainless steel...never had a problem with this pistol, although she is a bit heavy. My second one is a Colt Defender3" barrel stainless steel and this weapon is sweet. It does have a 3" barrel but the feed ramp unlike others is built into the frame which is an aluminum alloy. This pistol has beeb totally reliable as well.
I have two Kimbers, the first is a 4" all steel Pro Raptor and an alloy framed 3" Ultra Raptor and both of them never gave me any problems. Can you tell I love my 1911 45's?
What has been your concerns over the 3" inch models? Is it reliability issues or the loss in velocity due to barrel lenth? Honestly the loss of 75 - 80 fps is really a mute point. That big fat slow moving bullet still delivers and you know what they say..."You'll see it coming, but you won't be able to get out of the way!" Smile & wait for the flash :D

TriggerMan
03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Bawanna, thanks for the feedback. Looked at the Warrior but prefer no front serrations or rail.

Any opinion on the shorter barrel 1911's?Been very pleased with my 4.25" barrel Sig RCS. Got a DW CBOB I love too.

I like the looks of the new S&W E series, but read that they'll be sold out until next year.

There's another 1911 thread on KT you may wish to search for...also a 1911 folder

QuercusMax
03-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I like my Kimber Ultra CDP (3" barrel). Before I got it, I was skeptical of a lightweight 1911 with a short barrel, but it fits really nicely in my hand, I enjoy shooting it, and I am quite accurate with it (by my standards).

It's only slightly larger than my MK9 Elite as you can see in the picture, and a tiny bit heavier (26.1 oz vs. 23.9 oz for the Kahr), but it fits my hand better (my little finger fits on the grip). And I *still* like SAO triggers the best. Perhaps for one of these reasons, I can shoot the Kimber much more accurately than my MK9.

gb6491
03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I have some of the pistols recommended so far in this thread and they all have been reliable for me.
Colt Officer's ACP
http://i34.tinypic.com/10qe1bd.jpg
"E" series S&W 1911TA
http://i40.tinypic.com/2a6wp44.jpg
Springfield Armory Range Officer
http://oi39.tinypic.com/df7udw.jpg
However, my favorite is my Kimber TLE II
http://i41.tinypic.com/2rhbqdv.jpg
With that said, I recommend the RO as I feel it's a great value piece. It' set up to be a wonderful range gun, but would serve well for other needs.
My second recommendation would be to get a Colt Government Model (just becuase Colt is the granddaddy of them all and still a very good 1911):)
http://i39.tinypic.com/5v4qkw.jpg
Regards,
Greg

carkarrier
03-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Here is my old guy. Stays in the safe most of the time(I know, it needs cleaning) I bought it in 1974 and sent it to Armoloy in Texas for a total finish. Who knew they would get so valuable years later. Back then they sold for about $150. I am sure the new guys are a lot more accurate. Good luck in your search.

CamdenSC
03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback but ya'll didn't make it any easier!

air8
03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I need to find this other 1911 thread. You all put some great pics AND info up for us newbs. Are the Sig 1911's considered as good of quality as those mentioned here? There are three in the Sig line I'm calling favorites...just to narrow it down. LoL.

AJBert
03-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I'll second the Springer RO. For the money and what you get, VERY hard to find a better 1911 today.

Bawanna
03-09-2012, 11:03 PM
The Magnum Research 1911G is also a great value. That's the last one I got and it's a real shooter right out of the box too.

So many 1911's, so little time.

and money.

air8
03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
How well does the finish hold up on the Range officer. It looks like it wears quickly, from the few vids I've watched.

QuercusMax
03-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Lots of good recommendations here so far. How can anyone be sure they are making the "best" choice?

So many 1911's, so little time.

Thus it is your duty to acquire (preferably) but at least try out (definitely) as many as possible!

(PS. Some guys also seem to have this strategy with regard to women, :w00t: but I'm sticking to guns for now.)

MW surveyor
03-10-2012, 06:13 AM
(PS. Some guys also seem to have this strategy with regard to women, :w00t: but I'm sticking to guns for now.)

Good choice. In the long run, guns are cheaper! Just like the car.

Raulf
03-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Can't go wrong with a Kimber Custom II TLE or a Kimber Tactical Ultra , but my favorite is the Kimber Pro Elite, 1999 edition, all in 45 acp. Also own a Kahr CM9, great gun.

Bawanna
03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Lots of good recommendations here so far. How can anyone be sure they are making the "best" choice?

Thus it is your duty to acquire (preferably) but at least try out (definitely) as many as possible!

This right here, that's my plan. Acquire them all.

I'd still like the girl and the car, hope it's an automatic, can't drive a stick but I'll figure out a way if I have too.

JFootin
03-10-2012, 10:07 AM

I'd still like the girl and the car, hope it's an automatic, can't drive a stick but I'll figure out a way if I have too.

Well, Ferrari has an automatic clutch with an electronically controlled manual transmission that you can shift using paddles behind the steering wheel. And for casual driving, you can switch it to automatic shifting, even though it is not a traditional automatic and does not have a torque converter. So, choose a Ferrari when you win the lottery, Bawanna, and you will be set up to go 200 mph anytime you want to! :yo:

QuercusMax
03-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Girls come in automatic, too??? Sheesh, there's still a lot to learn.

bikerbill
03-10-2012, 11:06 AM
My first 1911 was a 4-inch Springer Champion Loaded, and I love it ... it's now my nightstand gun ... Like you, I wanted another, and I wanted to be able to carry it ... so I got a Kimber UCII, 3-inch .45 ... Like you, I had read of issues with short-barrel 1911s, but those warnings did not apply to my gun, which has been perfect since new, is amazingly accurate and at 25 oz unloaded is easy to carry if I'm wearing something to cover it with ... try one before you dismiss the idea, it's an excellent option and lots of fun to shoot ...