PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Ord ad

Col. Dodge
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Hello - Just got the invitation from Kahr Arms regarding Kahrtalk and immediately signed up. I've already learned a few things from the posts. Of all the handguns I have, I like and carry the P9 the most. Haven't felt the need for anything smaller, but if I do, I'll go to a PM9.

I'm hoping someone can answer a question I've had for a while. The ad that appears in many of the gun magazines shows a trooper, apparently a corporal in some other army (British?) riding a motorcycle and firing a Tommy gun mounted on the bike's frame. Can someone explain? I'm a student of military history and I haven't been able to start researching this. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to learning from this list. Thanks.

Col. Dodge

getsome
02-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi, Welcome to the forum....Every day there is someone new joining up... I have seen the ad you mention and believe the motorcycle/sidecar is a Norton WD (war dept) big 4....The british used these as well as BSA bikes without side cars in the early part of WWII The Norton Big 4 could be armed with a bren machine gun, 3 inch mortar cannon or the later production models could be equipped with the sidecar mounted thompson sub machine gun...total production was about 10,000...The motorcycle/sidecars were replaced later in the war with jeeps from america due to being able to carry more troops and equipment as well as larger weapons....Not sure why auto-ord chose to use this in their ads unless it looked better than a picture of machine gun Kelly or Pretty Boy Floyd!!!:53: