PDA

View Full Version : White dot restoration

CJB
03-22-2012, 06:32 PM
As some may remember - I'm rather gaga over the k-kote finish. Known as KalGuard, KG, GunKote, and K-Kote... its all the same depending on how its marketed.

One problemo.... is sights. You either have to refit the sights, or mar the new coating, or, even if you do refit, there may be some marring of the coating. Because of that, I tend to make sure fixed sights are just as I want them, then just coat over the slide and sights. This has worked well on 1911's, CZ and Browning, where there were no white dots or bars.

The Kahr PM45 I just coated a month or so ago... naked sights. They needed the white bar and white dot restored. And that is what I'm doing right now.

Slide's in the oven. I got hold of some satin white GunKote and carefully dropper filled the dot indentations. After they dried, I could wipe the edges with a fine cloth and acetone (barely barely damp). Cleaned up the excess and overrun perfectly (after a few tries).

So we're baking as I write this, hopefully pictures in a short while.

I'm counting on GunKote's ability to stick to itself perfectly... to make sure the coloring doesn't fall out. Pre-cleaning with acetone too, just to degrease.

More as it comes...

jeepster09
03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Well if it don't work I got some new take off sights, when I put on my XS sights.

CJB
03-22-2012, 07:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/bandersnatchreverb/Firearms/P3220175.jpg

Worked pretty well. I need to touch up the rear bar.. those are a @#$ to get right, even with paint. Front dot is perfecto. I've got to go away for the weekend, this pistol will accompany me. Its been in my pocket since the day I coated it - no wear - except where the barrel hood parts touch the slide - to be expected, very high stress contact points.

I'm happy so far, as the scratch test reveals a very hard white dot, that doesn't want to come loose (so far). I think it stay put as KKote is noted for sticking to itself if the surface is clean before application, and the curing process is followed.

JFootin
03-22-2012, 08:18 PM
That's cool CJB! I am going to paint the front sight ramp on my J-frame orange. I dont want any paint going over the edge onto the sides of the ramp. I can just try to be real careful, but I wonder if a couple of pieces of tape on the sides of the ramp will do it?

CJB
03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Tape... sure. If its just paint... paint it, and when the paint is almost set, do a cleanup with solvent

chipD
03-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Looks good CJB, I need to put some dots on my 45. My eyes sure are not what they used to be.

CJB
03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm beginning to really like dot-the-I sights... aka pattern von Stavenhagen

OldLincoln
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
I googled von Stavenhagen and found a page about the Sig (http://larvatus.livejournal.com/182532.html) just full of stuff. I didn't get into the fine print but thought you Sig folks might enjoy.

One question I haven't yet had answered is how to use the dot the eye sights. I know you place the dot over the line, but how far above? The letter i has a space between the top of the line and the dot. So how much space?

JFootin
03-23-2012, 07:00 AM
I googled von Stavenhagen and found a page about the Sig (http://larvatus.livejournal.com/182532.html) just full of stuff. I didn't get into the fine print but thought you Sig folks might enjoy.

One question I haven't yet had answered is how to use the dot the eye sights. I know you place the dot over the line, but how far above? The letter i has a space between the top of the line and the dot. So how much space?

OldBuddy, when I line up the top of the sights on my CM9, there is a space and it looks like a lower case 'i'. That is how I do it.