PDA

View Full Version : FTEs. Call Kahr or shoot more rounds?

zamboni
03-22-2012, 09:04 PM
My new MK9 has 300 rounds through it, with FTEs the whole way. I had 5 FTE in the first 150 rounds. That didn't bother me...just breaking in. Well, the next 150 had 15-20 FTE, so it seems to be getting worse. This was in two range trips, and I have never had a FTE before on any gun so I'm confident I am not limp wristing. Ammo was a mix of wwb, federal fmj, and umc. All 4 mags had the issue, and roughly half of the failures were on the first round of the mag. Any ideas?

GOOFA
03-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Are you using Federal Champion 115 gr by any chance? If thats what you are using change to a 124 gr ammo during your break in, untill that spring softens up. Even UMC 115gr may be the culprit.

jdavis
03-23-2012, 02:20 AM
I agree with GOOFA, it sounds as if your amo might be the problem. Invest in some higher grade ammo and you will see a difference.

kerby9mm
03-23-2012, 02:44 AM
My mk9 has never had an FTE. I have shot 4 types of ammo and never a problem. Does it eject a live round by hand with an empty mag in? You could take the slide off and do the ejector test. Place a round on the removed slide under the extractor and wiggle the slide. The round should stay in place with a little jiggle of the slide. Check the extractor from the outside to see if the round part behind the extractor is facing you. It really could be time to call Kahr and explain it to them.

KMA
03-23-2012, 04:04 AM
My MK9 has never had a FTE, FTF, or any malfunction of any kind either. However, I always shoot the same ammo, Federal American Eagle and CorBon, and sometimes Fiocchi. I suggest you to try other ammo brand and see how it works before you call Kahr.

muggsy
03-23-2012, 05:48 AM
It doesn't hurt to call Kahr. I had a similar problem with my CM9 and Kahr sent me a new recoil spring assembly (RSA) at no charge and that cured the problem. Did you read follow the prep and lube stickies in the Kahr Tech section? That can also make a big difference in performance.

johnh
03-23-2012, 07:17 AM
First, it can take 200+ rounds to break in. I know you are at that count, but it is not an exact number. I would make sure during break in that you try more than one ammo type.

Second, did you follow the advice posted here about cleaning and preparing the gun when you first get it? Good advice from members who know what they are talking about.

Lastly, I hate to suggest this as I do not know you, but be sure you have a firm grip. As a shooting instructor, I have seen a lot of malfunctions that were caused by that issue. It is far more common with small pistols, and then even more so with new shooters. If you are experienced, this may not be worth mentioning but I have to throw it out there. A good way to rule that out is to have someone else shoot the gun that is an experienced shooter. I have demonstrated this myself more than once at the range.

If there is a warranty issue, Kahr will fix it. I would at least go through these possible issues first as it may save you some trouble.

KMA
03-23-2012, 08:02 AM
First, it can take 200+ rounds to break in. I know you are at that count, but it is not an exact number. I would make sure during break in that you try more than one ammo type.

Second, did you follow the advice posted here about cleaning and preparing the gun when you first get it? Good advice from members who know what they are talking about.

Lastly, I hate to suggest this as I do not know you, but be sure you have a firm grip. As a shooting instructor, I have seen a lot of malfunctions that were caused by that issue. It is far more common with small pistols, and then even more so with new shooters. If you are experienced, this may not be worth mentioning but I have to throw it out there. A good way to rule that out is to have someone else shoot the gun that is an experienced shooter. I have demonstrated this myself more than once at the range.

If there is a warranty issue, Kahr will fix it. I would at least go through these possible issues first as it may save you some trouble.

I did not want to say it, but what you say it totally right! Many PM9 and MK9 new owners blame their guns when they malfunction, but most often it is not the gun’s fault. Shooting a PM9 or a MK9 is not the same than shooting a full-size pistol.

Barth
03-23-2012, 08:55 AM

My MK40 got much more reliable at 200+.
But still took 400+ before it was 100% reliable with all SD HP ammo at any weight.

The gun was tight as a drum out of the box.
Hard to rack, hard to field strip and occasional FTF on HPs.

Now it's flawless, cycles like butter and is cake to rack/strip/clean...
The gun doesn't like to run dry though.
Break it in proper. Keep it clean and lubed.
And enjoy a fine piece of machinery.

OldLincoln
03-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Zamboni, you didn't say, so let me advise to be sure and clean it well and then lube with gun grease (I recommend TW25) all the lube points (except 7) on the Lube Chart except those that specify oil. Do not oil the striker channel (point 7) as it can foul the striker action. That needs to run dry and clean.

I'm not saying this is a definite cure, but it's something that will contribute if not done.

jocko
03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
let another good shooter shoot the gun, to see if he can duplicate ur issues. U gotta start somewhere to eliminate the possabilities and shooter error is certainly one of them. It is so so easy to test out to. Hellit may need to go back but normally if it is a part relatedissues, it should duplicate itslef alot more than what ur reporting, again follow the kahr lube chart andpropper preppign thread, check alalthings out good before calling kahr, eliminate allthe possabilities incase kahrs ask if u have done so and so.

I am not saing it is hooter error, nor is anyone else, but just elimiante that possabilty, then move on from there. Good amerrican brand ammo shouldnot be an issue with kahrs, they are not ammo sensitive, but that being said, try another brand to see. agan ur just eliminateng a possable. New recoil assepblem sometimes works wonders, whether the gun is new or not..

JFootin
03-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Also, check the extractor for proper action. It might need a little touch of lube.

zamboni
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I should have elaborated more in my first post. Since I read the forums daily but don't post much, I forget that no one knows me or my experience here yet. I also have a cm9 that has been flawless out of the box, and have done the prep on both guns. The lube diagram still sits in front of me while cleaning so I don't forget anything, and I lube with a good quality grease. As for user error..The last range trip was with 2 of my buddies and they had fte's while shooting the mk9 as well.
The extractor is spotless, oiled, holds a round just fine. I am now thinking the recoil assembly may be the culprit. Is it supposed to be loose and wobbly when installed? Because of the wobble, it kind of bows up in the middle under the tension. Can any other mk owners tell me if this is normal?
Other than that, today I bought a couple of boxes of quality SD ammo and a couple of boxes of 124gr american eagle that I will try to shoot through it next time I can get to the range.
thanks again for the help.

Cyterio
03-23-2012, 08:31 PM
My MK9 had some FTE for the first few hundred rounds during break-in. I found the MK's seem to really like to be run wet. I have since switched to a grease and oil combo and have not had an issue in the last 800-900 rounds. My recoil spring is very tight, no wiggle, its fairly difficult to compress to remove from the slide. You might want to have yours replaced.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express