PDA

View Full Version : How do I start?

PYROhafe
03-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Ive been doing a pretty good amount of shooting here lately, especially for a relatively new shooter. So I was wondering how much I could save in the long run If im shooting say 2-300 rnds a month of 9mm. If the savings is worth it, wheres my best bet to get started.... kits, other things that dont come in a kit, a good starting read maybe. As always I know someone here will be able to give me some great advice so thanks in advance!

Tilos
03-24-2012, 09:53 AM
9mm has proven to take the most number of rounds reloaded to recoup your investment.
I don't know what to tell you...flip a coin?

Reloading is a science that you can take as far as you want, with some shooters who reload, quickly becoming a reloader "who shoots":D.

If you start reloading, it's like shooting in that it's something you can start and stop throughout your life, when you have the time.

Once you're stocked up, ammo availability is no longer a problem...just components:o.

Tilos

Bawanna
03-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I have to agree with Tilos. In this age having components around to reload if needed might be reason enough to get into the reloading game.

My other thought if you only are interested in 9mm is to price out the most expensive reloading equipment you can find and spend it all on a bulk load of 9mm ammunition.

Lots to think about. I enjoy it when I find the time and load for many calibers, I try to but usually don't succeed in having lots of components on hand.

I've never loaded for 9mm though, while you can reload cheaper its like Tilos once again said, probably the hardest to make pay.

OldLincoln
03-24-2012, 10:34 AM
My 9mm reloading costs about $6/50rds. This is after you get your equipment and set up where you will work and store stuff. If you run 300rds/mth and have time and space to do it, I think it is worth doing. Reloading becomes a hobby unto itself and some find it becomes a tossup whether they load to shoot or shoot to load.

chrish
03-24-2012, 10:53 AM
My issue has always been time and interest. My Kahr is like my car. Wow, that's funny in and of itself. I like to shoot and I like to drive. But in both cases, have very little interest in going super deep, like reloading, super car tweaking, etc.

But it's one of the reasons I chose the 9mm platform. Super cheap ammo when purchased in bulk. I can pretty much maintain my hobby at current prices and I'm trying to stock-pile now, more b/c of the potential for prices to go up than for prepping...but both issues drive me to stock up lately. Secondly, I just don't have the time. My job requires 50-60 hours per week and I like to see my family. That barely leaves time to maintain my guns, definitely no time to be reloading.

My recommendation is if you are interested in reloading an have the time, consider it. As mentioned, you can probably save TONS of money over the long haul and you can enjoy the tweak factor. But if you don't fit that scenario, then start buying in bulk. Places like sgammo.com (was recommended to me on this forum) and I've bought from other bulk places online over the years as well.

DLButler
03-25-2012, 04:59 AM
As said 9mm is the hardest to justify reloading for cost only. To me it is an extension of shooting. I started with 9mm and 380 then went on to 45, 38 spcl and 357. All of this in the span of 8 or nine months. In the beginning I broke down the cost per round versus the original equipment cost. I get most of my cases from the range straight from the shooters or from shooters from work. Using hard cast or Berry's keep the cost for 9mm down, as stated, near $6/50. Not a lot of saving there. But, when it costs nearly the same for the other calibers you can see a lot of savings. Once I loaded 100 boxes of 9mm alone I paid for my equipment. If you are just loading target rounds you can load fairly quickly once everything is adjusted. I loaded 300 45's in about 1.5 to 2 hours the other day. Reloading can be just as much fun as shooting once you get in to it.
I tend to be an early riser. I start to work around 4:30am every day, so on the weekends if I sleep in it is maybe 5 or 6 am. The rest of my house doesn't get up that early and this gives me something quiet to do and not wake them. Also, if you have a great wife like mine, she will let you set up your reloading bench in the dining room so you don't have to be cold in the garage.
In the end you have to make the calculations and answer the time questions to see if reloading is right for you.

Tilos
03-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Yep, what DLButler said, and I'll bet he no longer considers cost/payback when thinking or planning a new load/powder/bullet combination to try:D.

Some people get up real early to read the paper...he reloads:faint2:.

DLButler, thanks for posting.

If you enjoy making/fixing things, reloading is way better than making airplane mobils out of budweiser cans to sell at the flea market:rolleyes:.

Once you get 3 shots to go thru one hole, with ammo you reloaded, it's over, you're hooked for life;).

You'll save that target, show it to strangers...might even have it bronzed:ohmy:.

Mike_B
03-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I was also wondering if reloading would be an option for me to consider....

Ok- seems like if you have the time and inclination reloading is a good idea. You'll definitely save money. Now, on to the rest of the questions:

-Any books, websites, or forums anyone can recommend?
-Any affordable starting kits anyone can recommend and sources for them?
-Any sources for other supplies (brass, bullets, powder, etc...) anyone can recommend?

DLButler
03-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Lots of reloading books online. The best way is to try to find a reloader and have them explain the process and possibly show you how. I have a couple of folks at work that explained it to me and then I made a few dummy loads for them to check and then proceeded from there.
Most places that sell reloading supplies have kits minus the dies. Lee Breech Lock Hand Press Kit starts around $42.
Supplies:
Brass pick it up at the range
Bullets: Berry's or some hard cast( if you are not using a polygonal barrel)
Primers and powder I get at gun shows to save the shipping and hazmat fees.

I hope this helps.

OldLincoln
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I was brand new right here on the forum. I suggest taking time and read the "New Reloader Education" Thread (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4615) in the reloading forum. I started it soon after the reloading forum was opened to chronicle my experience (just for you). The key learning though is how helpful other members are as they held my hand for a very long time. There are other threads in there also, Show reload station (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5636) so you can see what some have done, and lots of threads on cleaning brass, equipment, how much does it really cost, etc.

After serving time reading past posts, you'll be ready to jump in. Tons of help here so don't be shy.

houdini
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
if you know anybody that reloads to show you there reloading station.

Bawanna
03-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Anyone who is even pondering getting into reloading should start saving and picking up any brass they can get their fingers on, unless of course I'm shooting nearby, then you should pick it up and put it in my bag.

I seldom buy or would bother to buy new brass except 45 Colt since I never find that at a range and it's hard to find even new loaded ammo sometimes around these parts.

If I buy I just get brass cased range fodder or of course I load my carry stuff after I shoot it but never carry reloads in a CCW gun.

I think buying new ammo and just reusing the brass is probably a wash over buying new brass and then having to reload it. You get one free shot.

Brass is the most expensive component so I hoard. I'm not proud of it but I hoard.

MW surveyor
03-27-2012, 05:35 PM
You've got to be careful though of picking up brass at the range!!!! If you get a whole bunch of brass for guns that you do not have, you may just have to go and get one for your empty brass. That's how I wound up with a 1911.

Had lots of brass and found out I could reload 45 just a cheap as my 357!

U.S. Patriot
03-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I fire probably 2,000 9mm rounds a year if not more. Right now I'm saving $6 per 50 rounds. Compared to the cheapest brass cased ammo at Chinamart. I suggest you get a reloading manual, the Lyman manual is a good place to start. Read it every chance you have. You can get a Lee single stage breech lock kit from Midway for $99. Has everything you need minus calipers, dies, bullet puller, and a tumbler. It cost me $289 to start reloading 9mm, minus components.

johnatw
03-29-2012, 06:24 AM
WARNING!!!!! RELOADING IS HABIT FORMING
I started reloading shotgun shells for skeet shooting, then I thought maybe I should reload 40 S&W for my CW40, then I thought maybe I should reload 223 rem. for my varmit rifle. I'm terrified to think what I might think to reload next.
We are going to the Tulsa gun show this weekend, so no telling what brilliant idea I'll have next.

johnh
03-29-2012, 07:38 AM
If you are really interested, I say go for it. If you buy a good press and set it up for 9mm to start, you have already set yourself up to have the machine for reloading any more expensive calibers you decide to use down the road. Then just dies and whatever other conversion parts that given press requires, gets you set up for the next caliber. I have never regretted buying my Dillon presses. Yes that is plural--Johnatw is completely correct! :)

dkmatthews
03-30-2012, 06:52 AM
I've been reloading for about 18 months or so and I love it. Pistol cartridges, IMO, are so easy any trained monkey could do it. Rifle cartridges are a little more complicated since you need to lube the brass for resizing, but it's so rewarding.

I enjoy shooting my M1 Garands and Springfield '03s and '03-A3s, so I prefer to roll my own .30-06 instead of buying commercial off-the-shelf ammo.

lowroad
03-30-2012, 07:11 AM
I fire probably 2,000 9mm rounds a year if not more. Right now I'm saving $6 per 50 rounds. Compared to the cheapest brass cased ammo at Chinamart. I suggest you get a reloading manual, the Lyman manual is a good place to start. Read it every chance you have. You can get a Lee single stage breech lock kit from Midway for $99. Has everything you need minus calipers, dies, bullet puller, and a tumbler. It cost me $289 to start reloading 9mm, minus components.

Anyone else second this? Seems like a great starter option.

dkmatthews
03-30-2012, 07:16 AM
The Lee kit is a great option. I happened to choose the Lyman T-Mag reloading kit and got it when it was on sale for around $320 from natchezss.com --> http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LY7810140.

lowroad
03-30-2012, 07:33 AM
I like the look of that aws well. I would like some somewhat beginner friendly, but taht I also won't want to replace a year or two down the road.

dkmatthews
03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
As far as the Lyman T-Mag kit is concerned, I like it but the primer feed system doesn't work for me. I ended up buying an old-school Lee Auto-Prime and prime all of my brass away from the reloading bench -- like sitting on the couch watching the Final Four.

OldLincoln
03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
The Lee Kit is a great way to start. If you find yourself wanting more than that a couple years down the road you can use this one with a Lee Universal DePrimer die to remove primers from dirty brass.

Thinking further I'll say it's better to spend low to start to make sure you want to do it. There is more to the process than the kit provides so you'll still need a die kit and holder for your caliber, tumbler and media, and of course primers, powder and bullets. That's assuming you recover your brass from your range.

If you move up later you pretty much just get a turret or progressive press and hang on accessories from there. It's cheaper than golf but like golf, you always see something shiny you want to buy.

Tilos
03-30-2012, 11:59 AM
There are a lot of quality vids about the art of reloading, with most dealing with different equipment available, setup, etc.
Most vids are of progressive reloaders but setting the dies etc. are the same with a single stage.
http://ultimatereloader.com/