PDA

View Full Version : Arch in slide, question about racking slide

chrish
03-24-2012, 01:52 PM
This is mostly curiosity, notice this today during some dry fire and continued breaking in of my new TP9.

On the slide (true on my P and TP), there is a little arch cut into the slide, not the notch that holds the slide back, it's an inch further back. What is that for?

I'm noticing the slide on my TP can hang if I have the mag out and attempt to lightly rack the slide just to cock (dry firing). It seems to hang right where that little arch passes the back of the slide release. Not sure that arch has anything to do w/ it because it only does this w/ the mag out, seems to be smooth w/ no hanging w/ the mag inserted. My P9 doesn't do it either way, mag in or out, it's totally smooth. But it's got a couple thousand rounds thru it, vs a couple hundred thru the TP.

Any Kahr mechanical experts want to clear this one up for me?

Thx.

JFootin
03-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Well, I'm far from an expert, but am pretty sure that arch is there to clear the back of the slide stop lever when assembling/disassembling the gun. If you'll notice, when the take down marks are alligned, that arch is right where the back of the slide stop lever is.

jocko
03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
JFootin is correct. Thatis the only place that must be in proper alighment to get the slide stop lever out. The slight hangup ur referring to has nothing to do with that arch but IMO just needs to be shot. the slide is meant to return under recoil spring strength and just lightly hand racking it sometimes will bot get full lock up BUT FIRING THE GUN WILL and that is what u want. Inur manual it discusses the witness marks that are on the left portion of the slide and the front ortion of the dust cover. They are samll and when u line them up, u will see that half moon is exactly where JFottin was discussing.

Get out and shoot a couple hundred rounds, the gun will smooth out real fast for u and more than likely after all that any partial hand racking will get the full slide return ur referring to. Ur OK, just shoot it like u stole it.

chrish
03-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Cool, should have noticed that positioning and the fact that the inside of the slide stop is the same shape. Duh.

Trying to get to the range...want to get it to the point that my P9 has gotten. It's dreamy to shoot. It definitely needs more rounds through it. After 200-300 its still somewhat stiff compared to the P9.

jocko
03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
stiff is good, just ask most guys girlfriends!!! Just sayin.

ripley16
03-24-2012, 06:02 PM
stiff is good, just ask most guys girlfriends!!! Just sayin.

I asked your girlfriend that the other night... you're right! :behindsofa:

:D

jocko
03-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I should have known better

muggsy
07-05-2013, 12:05 PM
The little hang up you feel is the trigger resetting and the moving of the striker to a semi cocked position.